Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:49 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times

Advertisements

Glad we've made it to our destination but it was a bumpy road. First, I pick up the moving truck and get it a mile down the street and it starts overheating. I returned that one and got another. Along the ride, the AC was quitting and the temp gauge kept coming on. After 4 hours, we pulled over and got a room.

We got on the road the next day only to make it 2 miles with the truck overheating and gauges saying shut down immediately. We were broken down on the side of 95 with a 10 month old baby and 3 dogs. (very dangerous) We decided to drive the 3 miles to the rest stop instead of possibly being killed. It took Penske about an hour to get to us in 109 degree temps. Not once did they say are you OK or stay safe. Once they got there, they wanted us to all to ride in the tow truck.

I insisted they get us a rental car. At first, they argued but then were going to just give us another moving truck but finally agreed to a car. We waited another 45 minutes to the rental place to come get us. The car rental location was 10 miles out of the way. Once we got there, the computers were locked up so they were unable to get us a car at that time. We had to wait over an hour until they finally got the situation rectified.

They towed the moving truck to our new home. The tow truck driver put the truck in the driveway the wrong direction and now it's stuck in the spot due to power lines hanging too low in the front of the driveway. Therefore, we have to walk everything 40-50 feet to get it in the door. We had a fridge full of food on the truck that has now spoiled as well due to the delay. The only compensation Penske is offering is to pay for the car we had to rent. I understand things happen but I also expect a truck in good working order. Not only did one truck break down, it was two trucks!

Well, thanks for listening to me vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 02:17 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,824,588 times
I am so sorry the move was such a struggle. I hope things from this point forward go more smoothly. I remember you posting about finding a rental so how did that work out?
Hope you can relax and feel better

Old 08-14-2013, 04:27 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
Wow. You've got to press them, in any way, to compensate you for your troubles.I would go on as many websites as possible and give Penske the reviews they deserve!! Word gets around (like U-Haul's crappy trucks).

Old 08-14-2013, 08:00 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,445,439 times
OP I am glad you made it safely!

I've heard over and over that rental trucks are known to break down.
That's probably why Penske reacted the way they did - it's just another day at the office for them.

Best of luck in your new place!

Old 08-14-2013, 08:10 AM

Thanks everyone. Renting the truck was pretty easy. I called up for a price quote and was told we match competitors prices. Originally the truck was $650 but they kept going back and forth. It ended up being $407.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:31 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,787,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Thanks everyone. Renting the truck was pretty easy. I called up for a price quote and was told we match competitors prices. Originally the truck was $650 but they kept going back and forth. It ended up being $407.

glad you're at your new home BUT I would make some phone calls and insist Penske reimburse you in some way for all your troubles. You get to the right person and you'll get your $400.00 back.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
glad you're at your new home BUT I would make some phone calls and insist Penske reimburse you in some way for all your troubles. You get to the right person and you'll get your $400.00 back.
That would be nice. It was very stressful.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:35 AM

489 posts, read 963,671 times
Oh the stories your kids can tell. Good to hear you made it to your new home.

-Mike

Old 08-15-2013, 02:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times
My neice and her husband moved from NY back to California by taking the plane. ALL their stuff except a few things they mailed ahead were on the moving truck. It was them, three young daughters and their cat, and no beds, sheets, pajamas, etc.... They bought some stuff. A week went by. No truck, no furnature, not clothes. Two weeks. They bought more stuff. The company said they were 'tracing' it. It was sitting in Texas waiting to be filled up since it was the light season. Then it had left Texas and they didn't know where it had gone but apparently back east again.

All told it took over three months for their stuff to arrive. As soon as it did they started calling and requesting a steep discount. I don't know if they got it or not but had replaced a lot by then and had a house almost beriftt of furnature where they didn't. But they didn't make too many waves until it finished wandering and made it to California.

When I was moving I decided not to let my stuff out of my sight...

Old 08-15-2013, 11:19 PM

244 posts, read 667,357 times
It sounds like you had a really bad experience. My question is, why did you have a fridge full of food on the truck? Even for very short moves, we eat the food down until there is almost nothing left and then use a cooler for the stuff we want to keep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues