Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 11:30 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to a new apartment in 3 weeks... so excited. Anyway, we are going to go w/ a local mover that is affiliated on the uhaul website. (it's amazing the difference in some of the prices!)

Anyway, we found a company that has really good rates and good reviews. Now, just unsure of how many hours we need them for. We are on the 2nd floor going to a 3rd floor. We currently have a 1/1 w/ a den (943 square ft) and the move is 16 miles. I was thinking of hiring them for 3 hours. Everything would be all ready for them. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 03:06 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
It's a ;itte hard to say. It depends on several factors ssuch as how much stuff you have, how heavy it is and how many people will be on the crew. Typically a moving company will estimate the time for you hrathe than ask you to set the amount of time to hire them. Having said that if everything will be ready 3 hours sounds like enough time for a standard crew of two or three.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:43 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,237 times
I'd double any self-estimate

I just did short move with Uhaul and movers and they did great, I tipped them well and it took longer than expected.

Prepare your move as if it's the day before actual move - pack EVERYTHING and eat off paper plates etc to be sure you're ready when movers arrive.

Your job is planning, Packing and coordinating - it's their job to move the stuff.

Have fun!

Old 01-12-2014, 05:29 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times
Thanks for the advice!

I decided to do 3 hours since they are professionals... and do this for a living! I counted all of our bigger items (including side table's, and things one man can easily move) and it's 32 items, plus our boxes. I know when we moved from our old place to our current place, we had a couple friends from work and it took us like 4-5 hrs. We have more stuff since then, but we also don't do this on a daily basis.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:01 PM

415 posts, read 2,334,295 times
I have been in the moving business for 30 years, a 1 bdrm apt of about 943 sq ft on the 2nd floor going to the 3rd floor, you really need 3 men at least and plan on a 5 to 7 hrs to complete the move, it just takes a lot of time climbing stairs and you will wear the men out if you only get 2 .... Tired moves break things >>>>>

Old 01-19-2014, 09:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I hired U-Haul movers on the Redding end. There's an elevator in the building. I was just moving a studio's worth of stuff. I hired them for 2 hours. They sent two young guys who were nice, but appeared to be somewhat high lol! This is a big area for pot smoking.

They were moving kind of slow and joking around - nice guys, but moving slowly. So, I told them, you know, I'm worried about you getting done on time and I don't have any more money and I sure don't want you to get ripped off or anything...and they started moving and got the job done in exactly 2 hours :-) I didn't have any money to tip them, and I wasn't impressed enough to feel guilty about it.

Part of what I wanted them to do was help me put my bed together - simple daybed. They started looking at it really confused, from this angle and that angle....I told them nevermind, I'll put it together, you guys just keep moving stuff up here. It probably would have been 3 hours at least, if I'd also let them put the bed together.

They were a good deal, though. Only $100 for 2 guys for 2 hours.

I moved from a street level apartment and paid two students who lived in my building to load the trailer. They did it in one hour. I paid them $40 each.

Would I use MoversHelp again? Yes. I figure the contractors are in a position to want to keep in good standing with U-Haul, so will show up on time and do a decent job. The Movers Help guys did show up on time and they were very presentable and polite, though a bit slow moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues