Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 AM

19 posts, read 26,759 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I'm moving to NY within the month, I already have a place provided for me as well as work, etc.

But I am wondering if any of you know any good deals on moving a small amount of stuff across the country for cheap, including 1 car (not driven, but transported). I, myself, will be flying.

A general list of what is going to need to be transported

-Clothes (about 3 boxes worth)
-A Road bicycle ($1200)
-2 computer towers ($1500)
-2 monitors ($300)
-ps3 ($180)
-xbox ($200)
-misc. electronic components ($200)
-a 63" wide desk ($160)
-Misc junk not exceeding 75 lbs ($???)

As it is right now, I was going to buy a uhaul pod for an estimated amount of $1500 for the stuff and get that transported by one of those mass uhaul transports.
And see if i can get one of those 'car trucks' to piggyback my car cross country for an estimated amount of $950-$1000.

I intended on bringing the computer tower and monitors with me on the plane, i read somewhere that I should remove the hard drives (i have 5 hard drives in total) and take them with me on the plane, will this be a problem?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as this move will leave me little to no cash in the end with my current plan.

Would doing flat rate boxes be better for this type of thing?

Should I just ship my bike alone and skip the pod? According to Shipping a bicycle UPS or FEDEX? It might be cheaper.

Does anyone have any good ideas on shipping my car out there for cheaper?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 01:05 PM

54 posts, read 96,665 times
I'm on the same boat as you.

Regarding the computer tower. Do remove the hard drives, get anti-static bags and place them in those to carry on. The forums I researched (toms, gwjs) mentioned bringing your graphic(s) card and maybe even the ram on board too. Again, with the anti-static bags.

I'm actually considering UPSing my chassis if its over the weight limit ($75+ish) for the checked bag for the airline I'll be flying on. But I'm hopeful, after removing the hdds and graphics card it'll be light and I can foam/antistatic it up on a large suitcase.

Good luck! I'll definitely be reading up on your thread too!

Old 03-10-2014, 02:53 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digress View Post
...wondering if any of you know any good deals on moving a small amount of stuff
One more time:
Plan to SELL or otherwise rid yourself of anything that won't fit into a box
(that you'll send by USPS) or won't fit into the car you own and will be driving.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantotto View Post
I'm on the same boat as you.

Regarding the computer tower. Do remove the hard drives, get anti-static bags and place them in those to carry on. The forums I researched (toms, gwjs) mentioned bringing your graphic(s) card and maybe even the ram on board too. Again, with the anti-static bags.

I'm actually considering UPSing my chassis if its over the weight limit ($75+ish) for the checked bag for the airline I'll be flying on. But I'm hopeful, after removing the hdds and graphics card it'll be light and I can foam/antistatic it up on a large suitcase.

Good luck! I'll definitely be reading up on your thread too!
Thanks for reminding me about the antistatic bags, I almost forgot that, and that's a good idea about the graphics card too, I am just worried about the monitors and how they'll fare.

in my other thread identical to this one but specific to my city, i got some useful input if you'd like to have a look through it; Moving Out of SD (To New York) maybe you'll find some info of use to you there

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
One more time:
Plan to SELL or otherwise rid yourself of anything that won't fit into a box
(that you'll send by USPS) or won't fit into the car you own and will be driving.

yea, I decided on just leaving the desk behind as well as some other no so needed furniture. I'm not leaving my bike behind by any means. That alone is worth well over $1000

Old 03-11-2014, 10:36 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
I agree, sell the stuff. In fact, if it was me I'd even sell the bike if I wasn't planning to drive. It's not like they don't sell bikes in New York, bikes can be a bit delicate, and it's just not worth the hassle and expense.

Good luck in your move and enjoy the adventure of it all!

Old 03-12-2014, 06:15 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I agree, sell the stuff.
if it was me I'd even sell the bike if I wasn't planning to drive.
Or put it too into a box. LINK

Old 03-12-2014, 12:59 PM

54 posts, read 96,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digress View Post
Thanks for reminding me about the antistatic bags, I almost forgot that, and that's a good idea about the graphics card too, I am just worried about the monitors and how they'll fare.

in my other thread identical to this one but specific to my city, i got some useful input if you'd like to have a look through it; Moving Out of SD (To New York) maybe you'll find some info of use to you there
Glad oh and thank you for that thread, I'll definitely read up on it!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I agree, sell the stuff. In fact, if it was me I'd even sell the bike if I wasn't planning to drive. It's not like they don't sell bikes in New York, bikes can be a bit delicate, and it's just not worth the hassle and expense.

Good luck in your move and enjoy the adventure of it all!
lol as stated before, this bike is worth over $1000, and I am pretty sure it'd be fine if it were shipped, thankfully I've not had the experience of ever owning a delicate bike, a cyclocross bike is meant to take a beating.

And anyways, shipbikes.com apparently will ship it for me for around 74 bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues