Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
San Diego 22 66.67%
New York City Area (NY/NJ/CT) 11 33.33%
Somewhere else (please post) 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:52 PM

89 posts, read 327,721 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm considering an opportunity to move to the San Diego area instead of the New York City area (NY/NJ/CT). Career opportunities are okay in either of the two areas, and the income will be roughly the same (around $115,000). I'm currently in NJ, but not in the NYC region. Please tell me what you think is best given my situation.

- Single male, late twenties
- Want reasonable access to the city without living in it (I like peace and quiet in a suburban home)
- Like warm and sunny weather, but also like experiencing the four seasons
- Like relaxed and laid-back attitudes, but also appreciate sophistication and ambition
- Eventually want kids and do not want to have to move to a new metropolitan area
- Enjoy a healthy, active lifestyle with outdoor activities
- Like beach views and the beach environment, but also like being able to go to a busy downtown area
- Whole family is in the NYC area
- Don't want to be in the rat race and prefer a lower-stress day-to-day living experience
- Don't want to spend all day in the office and commuting to the office
- Like having a car
- Want to own a single family detached home with a garage in the near future

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 08:51 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTimeToTalk View Post
Hi. I'm considering an opportunity to move to the San Diego area instead of the New York City area (NY/NJ/CT). Career opportunities are okay in either of the two areas, and the income will be roughly the same (around $115,000). I'm currently in NJ, but not in the NYC region. Please tell me what you think is best given my situation.

- Single male, late twenties
It's even
Quote:
- Want reasonable access to the city without living in it (I like peace and quiet in a suburban home)
Probably even, though I've only ever visited Manhattan
Quote:
- Like warm and sunny weather, but also like experiencing the four seasons
Depends on what you mean by seasons. I grew up in Chicago. I've been in San Diego long enough to recognize that there are seasons here. Besides that, there's always:
Summer, this summer, last summer, next summer
Flood season, Fire season, Drought season, Earthquake season.
Quote:
- Like relaxed and laid-back attitudes, but also appreciate sophistication and ambition
Relaxed and laid-back = San Diego. Depending on your idea of sophistication, the East Coast will have more.
Quote:
- Eventually want kids and do not want to have to move to a new metropolitan area
So wherever you wind up, choose your area wisely. No advantage either way.
Quote:
- Enjoy a healthy, active lifestyle with outdoor activities
San Diego - year 'round.
Quote:
- Like beach views and the beach environment, but also like being able to go to a busy downtown area
San Diego - year 'round.
Quote:
- Whole family is in the NYC area
Argues for staying on the east coast.
Quote:
- Don't want to be in the rat race and prefer a lower-stress day-to-day living experience
Advantage San Diego.
Quote:
- Don't want to spend all day in the office and commuting to the office
East coast has better public transportation. San Diego has less commute traffic.
Quote:
- Like having a car
Advantage San Diego, I would think, due to parking and winter tolls on the car.
Quote:
- Want to own a single family detached home with a garage in the near future
Who gets the advantage here will depend on your budget. And on how far away from the city center you're willing to go.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:40 PM

134 posts, read 310,043 times
1. San Diego is not a city like NYC is a city. San Diego is much smaller and less diverse. NYC is an order of magnitude more sophisticated than San Diego. NYC has many many more ambitious people.

2. San Diego is generally suburban. But not necessarily more suburban than the NYC suburbs.

3. Suburban NYC has many places with better public schools than most of California. But you pay higher property taxes (and houses are more expensive in the best school districts).

4. San Diego is significantly more laid back than the NYC metro area. But suburban NJ is significantly more laid back than NYC.

5. Both places can have bad commutes - NYC metro area will generally have longer commutes. But in both places it depends on where your office is located and your income. NYC area has much better public transportation, so longer commutes might be more tolerable.

6. San Diego is much better than NYC area for outdoor/active lifestyles. The weather is the biggest reason for this.

7. San Diego has better beaches than the east coast. Although NJ's beaches aren't bad, for the east coast.

I think you would like both suburban NYC and San Diego. NYC area is so much bigger, odds are always better that you would not have to move to find another job. As I get older I see more benefits to being close to my family.

But San Diego is great - you might love it!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. Can anyone help me with these questions?

- Would I feel bored, trapped, or isolated in San Diego? I'm not big on going to clubs or bars, but I would like to meet people and go out for a drink every now and then.
- Would I be in for a shock with respect to San Diego's gangs, crimes, and crowded conditions, as compared to the suburbs in the NYC area?
- Would kids have a better quality of life growing up in San Diego or the NYC suburbs?

I'm thinking that the proper comparison might be North County San Diego vs. NYC suburbs.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:25 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTimeToTalk View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. Can anyone help me with these questions?

- Would I feel bored, trapped, or isolated in San Diego? I'm not big on going to clubs or bars, but I would like to meet people and go out for a drink every now and then.
- Would I be in for a shock with respect to San Diego's gangs, crimes, and crowded conditions, as compared to the suburbs in the NYC area?
- Would kids have a better quality of life growing up in San Diego or the NYC suburbs?

I'm thinking that the proper comparison might be North County San Diego vs. NYC suburbs.
Bored? Probably, sometimes. But I'm guessing that'd also be true in the NYC suburbs. Trapped or isolated? Depends on yourself.

San Diego has gangs and crimes, but not on the level of, say, Chicago.

Kids have a good quality of life growing up with parents who care, which you sound like you are. Whether in San Diego north county or NYC suburbs probably doesn't matter a whit to the kids.

Sounds to me like the huge advantage of NYC area is that your extended family is local to there. The huge advantage of San Diego is year-round weather that's good for outdoor activities. Everything else sounds about even.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Sounds to me like the huge advantage of NYC area is that your extended family is local to there. The huge advantage of San Diego is year-round weather that's good for outdoor activities. Everything else sounds about even.
This is what makes it a tough decision for me. If my family were in San Diego, I think moving to San Diego would be a no-brainer. Also, if I were currently living in San Diego, the only reason I'd move to NYC would be to be closer to family. The other question is - what's the dating scene like in either area for a single guy in his late twenties?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:59 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Sounds like you are a social person. New Yorkers IME are outgoing. San Diego not so much. Friendly and polite they tend to be in their own worlds at least to me. The beaches here are gorgeous and pretty much year round. You could own a home 10 miles away and have warm sunny weather 9 months of the year. Today it will be around 67 and up was 42 last night. Later this week going to be 75 in Poway. If you are used to your own company this would be a nice choice. If you are really interconnected with family and friends you may be lonely at first.

Good luck with your decision. Have you already located employers?

Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
The young women in this area are professional, bright and accomplished.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:58 AM

140 posts, read 488,877 times
Hey NoTTT,
I was in a similar position as you a good 15 years ago....in 20s, ready to make a big change after living in DC area my whole life. I made the leap with good job offer and reloed out to Chicago, lived the single life in Lincoln park, met wife and started family. Moved out a good 6 years back to San Diego for great job opportunity.

So far loving San Diego, in north coastal. Great place to raise a family. But with anything there are tradeoffs, it is expensive.....although if coming from NYC it is not bad at all. Some thoughts on tradeoffs on separate thread, and why some people don't like it out here.

Is the grass always greener in San Diego?

Seems like 20s somethings out of school like the party area of Pacific beach or perhaps Ocean beach to live, then many move to more suburban lifestyle as they get older. San Diego is no NYC or Chicago in terms of night life, but it is it pretty decent, downtown gaslamp and downtown scene is pretty cool, along with Hillcrest and North Park and some other cool neighborhoods.

Just from sound of your post, place like Encinitas may be cool for you. Great Beach town, vibrant but small downtown, easy train access to downtown, great beach culture, lots of fun restaurants, shops, et. Seems like a cool easy going vibe there, lots of 20s and 30 somethings. Bit closer to downtown than Carlsbad, but also similar beach town.

Best suggestion is come out for a long weekend or week, scope out the area. Some suggestions to do while out here.

Top recommendations: Things to do when visiting San Diego

When you do get out here rent a place for a while, scope out the area before making big investment, going in cold and buying property when you"re not familar with area can be risky.....although it is a great time to buy if you can lock in historic low interest rates..

To all moving, or thinking of moving to San Diego...some advice

Good Luck!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:21 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,774 times
I think New York is better for you. You can go to San Diego on vacations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego