Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 07:16 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post

If you are moving within the complex they shouldn't even need a truck/van - just some carts to pile boxes on and push them across the parking lot. They will even pack for you.
Yeah, but the movers have to bring their equipment so they'll at least bring a van!

I moved one building over, back in 1988, which sounded easy but because the buildings were back-to-back it was more of a pain than I thought it would be! Moved from a two-bedroom into a one-bedroom after a roommate thing didn't work out. Being a young (at the time) male I didn't have much and just got some friends to help out with stuff I couldn't carry myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 AM

552 posts, read 834,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Laura,

You can pay anyone to do anything for ya.
ummmm, we're still talking about movers here, right?

Old 03-14-2014, 11:46 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times
One time my husband and I moved from the second floor to the first floor, directly below us. We had tried to get a first floor unit when we moved in, but couldn't -- it was a six week wait just to get on the second floor --so we took the second floor unit and waited for a first floor unit to come available. We had a young baby and we did not feel the second floor balcony was safe for the child. When the unit directly below came open we moved. We did hire a licensed and insured mover. We were in our 30's by then and married a dozen years, and did not wish to take the chance of anyone or anything being hurt. Good luck with your move!!!

Old 03-14-2014, 11:47 AM

508 posts, read 663,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Yeah, but the movers have to bring their equipment so they'll at least bring a van!
Well of course. But not a 40' moving van - which is what the in-town movers brought last time I made a move. It wasn't near to filling it but that's what they used.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:51 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I moved three times within one apartment complex. Twice it was our idea to move and we rented a van and just did it ourselves. The third time I was in a wheelchair and the plumbing broke under the foundation and we had to move. That time, the maintenance men moved the furniture and my relatives came over and helped with the rest. We boxed up our books but really nothing else. Clothes on hangers got a rubber band around the hangers, then folded into a laundry basket, taken directly over and hung up again ( so they wouldn't wrinkle). Folded clothes got stuffed in a trash bag for the short move. I put my kitchen stuff into the laundry basket to move it.

Anyhow, for what you're asking, a moving company will do it. It may be affordable and it may not. If you want to pay them to come and pack for you, that will undoubtedly be more expensive than if you just bring home boxes and pack all your stuff so all they have to do is use a hand truck to move the boxes.

Somebody suggested posting a sign looking to hire a couple neighbors to help with the move. In a nicer world that would be a good idea, but in a lot of apartments you don't want your neighbors seeing your nice belongings, especially if you are older and live alone.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:32 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,383 times
My G-ma's 'home' has wings for different levels of care (active, assisted, hospice), and the moves are contracted out and prepaid to the tune of $500 a pop for a two bedroom unit (this is not a place one moves out of, it's a very nice "waiting room" for what lies beyond this life). That includes packing and unpacking.

They just use dollies and don't pack things like you would an interstate, or even intercity move.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
My neighbor hired guys to move them across the street to another house. I have no idea if they were "reputable movers" or just guys who were willing to do some heavy lifting. But absolutely, you can pay people to do it all for you and you should. I will NEVER do any moving on my own again. My time and energy are worth more than anything I'd have to pay.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:14 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
OP if you are concerned about them being reputable and careful make sure they are insured and not only for the items on the truck but also at the residence. Obviously things can still happen but at least you have some course of action if something gets damaged.
Have you asked your neighbors or even the complex office of where you are living for a referral for movers?

Old 03-15-2014, 07:43 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Thanks to everyone who further responded.

The office advised me (I asked) yesterday that they will give me a list of reputable movers who have done moves within the complex. But I won't know where I'm moving to until about 30 - 60 days before the move which they think will be in the summer. The complex has 9 buildings. Only if it's my building or the one across the parking lot would the movers not need to use their truck.

I will use someone to help me pack.

This is sort of related. I have used two companies (in two states) to help me get rid of stuff in the past, too, because I've always lived up a flight of stairs. I highly recommend that type of service to people who physically can't carry heavy stuff down the stairs, can't go up and down stairs repeatedly with a lot of junk, want to get rid of old furniture/appliances/electronics, want someone to get rid of junk in their house yards or basement. Both companies charged by how much went in their truck. The company in MD even cleaned out closets or sheds, you didn't have to bag anything for them. One company was called Got Junk and the other was called Junk Be Gone but I'm guessing there are companies like them in every state with other names. You may ask, "Well how did you get that stuff up the stairs to begin with?" I didn't UPS did.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:39 AM

1 posts, read 953 times
Default Same Apartment Building Movers

If your're in Atlanta and need help moving within the same apartment building or complex, click on the link below. Thank you.

http://ugetthetruck.com/same-apartme...ng-movers.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues