Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:14 AM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times

Advertisements

I like my suburban apartment complex but recent physical problems really make me need a ground floor apartment in the complex instead of one up a flight of stairs. I can't do any of the move by myself, I'm over 60 and so are the people I know and it's doubtful that the new apartment would be in my same building within the complex.

If anyone has ever done this kind of a move, did you have a problem finding some reputable company willing to move you? I'm really not interested in hiring two guys with a truck who just need some extra money.

My complex has 9 buildings.

If they should move me to a building across the parking lot, do they even bother to put my stuff on a truck?

On the other hand, if the building I move to is not very near the building I'm in (so they still need a truck but they don't drive very far (takes less that a minute or two to drive through the parking lots) do they refuse the job?

Do I have to pack the same way as I would for a regular move? You know, could I put some things in large trash bags, for example, instead of moving boxes? I'm thinking of things like clothings, towels, etc.) They would be taking stuff and furniture down the stairs but not up any stairs.

If you have experience with this type of a move, please tell me your experience. All of my moves in the last 20 years have been out of state moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 09:28 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
I once moved from one apartment to another in the same complex, but I handled the moving myself with some friends. It was in the same building, and we were still young & strong, in the days when I could bribe people with beer and pizza.

You might do better with some "labor ready" types instead of an actual moving company. Like you said, it won't need to involve a truck, just lugging boxes and furniture from one apartment to another on foot.

Maybe with it being Spring break season, you could enlist some high school or college students who want to make a buck? Do you have grandchildren or nephews or something? They could get a group of their friends together and move you in a couple hours.

You can get boxes for free from liquor stores or buy some from a place that rents trucks and storage space (they always sell boxes and packing materials).

Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Talk to family and friends to find some young folks (high schoolers / college kids) to help with the move. They will cost you less than movers and they should not need a truck. If the moves from one end of the complex to the other and they need a truck, rent them a small uhaul. I have done a move like this and they were great.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 AM

24,503 posts, read 10,825,052 times
We used a church group working towards funds for a mission once. It worked fine.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:23 AM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
I did stipulate that I wanted a reputable company to do the move and all the people I know are over 60, too. It's not about saving money. It's about whether a moving company would do it and whether I have to pack the same as if they were moving me across town or to another state.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:27 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
I did that a couple of years ago, but it was before I had bought furniture. I moved from a furnished corporate apt into an unfurnished one across the courtyard and a couple of buildings down.

If I were going to do it again and had furniture, I would first ask the maintenance manager. He might be able to use a little extra money and he would know the layout so not a lot of explaining would be necessary.

If the maintenance people are unresponsive, call your local police or fire department. I once moved my retail store across town, fixtures, inventory, the whole kit and caboodle. Somewhere down the line in my life, I had heard that cops and firefighters often do little jobs when they're off duty. Sure enough, it took 2 phone calls to line up a couple of firemen with a truck that were big, strong, had a good work ethic, and loved the extra money. A couple of years later, I moved into a larger store and hired the same dudes.

I've never hired an actual moving company, large or small, so unless you're hung up on having the word "Mover" on their uniform, there's no reason to fool around with looking for a professional who probably isn't any more careful with your worldly goods than a man living under a bridge.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:27 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Of course they will do it. Pay a company enough and they will do whatever you want including packing up your place. Whether or not they use a truck or whatnot isn't your concern. Find a company with good reviews and hire them and tell them what you want. Let them figure out the logistics and then pay them.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:49 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Of course they will do it. Pay a company enough and they will do whatever you want including packing up your place. Whether or not they use a truck or whatnot isn't your concern. Find a company with good reviews and hire them and tell them what you want. Let them figure out the logistics and then pay them.
Excellent advise. The worst thing about moving is the worrying and planning. If you have the money, pay someone else to do that and just settle back with a big cup of coffee and not worry about it. If they use a truck or hand carry every single dish one at a time, it's not your concern. Get your quote in writing and be done with it.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:28 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I think I did this years ago and I used two men and a truck and it was not a problem I had everything packed and they did the hauling down to the other apt . I think I maybe paid 150 or something close to that but being by myself and all I did not have any other choice . Good luck whatever you decide to do .

Old 03-13-2014, 12:58 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I did stipulate that I wanted a reputable company to do the move and all the people I know are over 60, too. It's not about saving money. It's about whether a moving company would do it and whether I have to pack the same as if they were moving me across town or to another state.
wow you sounded a bit rude with this response.. Why are you on here posting this question? Just call "reputable" companies and ask them.. easy peasy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues