Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much of an influence do other people's relocation choices sway your choice?
To some degree, it influences my decision on where to live 15 33.33%
I only care about where I want to live, even if it's not a popular place 30 66.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:57 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times

Advertisements

I am not influenced by others. I have lived in MI, NJ, FL,CA. I also did research on other states so spent some time in places such as NC. What I have learned is what one person may like another may not or what is right for one person may not be for another. Some depends on what you are used to such as where you grew up, the things you enjoying doing, income, job etc. That is always why when people ask on this forum about moving out of state and wanting to buy a home right off I suggest waiting and to rent for a year to really get a feeling for themselves and not based on what others feel or say.
Also sometimes when you hear others talk about a specific state or place it tends to glorify things but in reality it may not be the right choice to move there for that person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 02:39 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Not the best idea to base a relocation on friendship.

One time I was faced with the decision of Austin, TX, where a childhood friend lived, and Phoenix where I knew no one.

Well, my childhood friend, up and left Austin, sometime ago, for Arkansas.

That's the risk you take basing a move on friendships!

Old 07-10-2014, 06:19 AM

287 posts, read 506,683 times
Honestly, I've been flip-flopping on this a lot recently. I've lived in the same general area for my entire life, and it's where all of my friends and family are. Moving would be tough, but I don't love the area and I'm getting an itch to move cross-country and try something different. I don't think I've seen my true home yet. Being around family and friends is awesome, but living somewhere that I absolutely love (not just tolerate) seems more important at the moment.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:38 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo View Post
Honestly, I've been flip-flopping on this a lot recently. I've lived in the same general area for my entire life, and it's where all of my friends and family are. Moving would be tough, but I don't love the area and I'm getting an itch to move cross-country and try something different. I don't think I've seen my true home yet. Being around family and friends is awesome, but living somewhere that I absolutely love (not just tolerate) seems more important at the moment.
As long as you can find employment, go for it.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:53 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
sounds like the Raleigh area might up your alley. The area is nice, with friendly people, jobs and lower cost of living than the Northeast (although it is FAR from cheap here!). One thing's for sure... there are no tourists here. What's to see? one suburban sprawl after another another? yawn.
I think N.C, would be cool- a friend of mine moved there for a bit & loved it.
That being said....I am starting to question myself on moving out of state at all.
I have always hated this state w/ a passion.
But it's where everyone who I really care about is.
Idk if I can handle not seeing them on a daily or weekly basis.
On the other hand, I waited for the moment that I'd be able to move- and right about now is the moment.....
Ugh!!!!

Old 07-14-2014, 05:25 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I think it somewhat influences me just because I feel like I am always thinking about where I want to go next. I moved from MI to IN years ago and never cared for living here. It was a good place to raise my child, own a nice home and enjoyed a lower cost of living but its been almost 7 yrs now and I still feel like I don't fit in. My son will graduate from high school next year and now having that perfect school district, neighborhood etc doesn't feel so crucial anymore. My wants have changed.

That being said where friends and family have moved don't appeal to me either. Sure it would be nice to move someplace where I know someone, possible new friend or employment network but I couldn't muster up the desire for those locations.

My cousin asks me a least once or twice a year to consider AZ. She moved out there years ago and misses being around family. I went to visit and it just didn't appeal to me. There was a lot more to do there than IN and I hate snow, so I thought it would be a good solution but it felt like a concrete jungle to me. Plus I am extremely pale and would end up with skin cancer in 6 months.

A friend moved to AL and where she lives is far too conservative and religious. Plus her house has been hit twice by tornados. No thanks.

A friend from high school lives in WI but it reminded me of my hometown in MI which I longed to get away from but that is what appealed to her, she misses home.

A few friends moved to TX but again, another state that doesn't really appeal to me because of politics and I already have that here just add snow.

Another friend moved to FL. Nope.

So I realize I am far picker than I actually knew.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:46 AM

307 posts, read 560,346 times
Everyone has good points to say in responding to the question on this thread. There is really no one opinion fits all response. So take some there, some here...check it out...and make a decision. Ultimately, you have to influence yourself where you want to move. City-data forums is a great source of good info...and some not so good. The forum provides good time-saving information one needs to help arrive at the right decision. Check out other sources also. Keep in mind that no place is going to provide you with 100% of what you're looking for. Make a list of all that you'd want the place to be..for you, and don't forget, your love ones' preferences would have to be considered. It isn't always easy to balance everything. Anyway, after you have your list of "desirable" features down...prioritize them. I usually make a top 4 most important "must haves"...then the next 3 or 4. No hard-fast rules in doing this. However way it suits you. We lived in the Pacific Northwest...nice weather, winters no so bad, comfortable summers. But rains a lot. I don't mind rain...in the right amounts..and when needed. I wanted more sunshine..and warmer climate. We took a chance and headed to Florida. We came in the winter...weather was just right. Then spring and summer kicked in. Hot and humid. My wife is miserable...and hates it here. I love it. I grew up in a tropical country in the Far East. I can't stand a/c...which is what it is here...everywhere. I wondered why do people come to Florida? I thought it was for the sunshine and warmth (ok, hot). But why are indoor places everywhere have their ac going full blast all the time? Answer I get: Because it is hot outside. But isn't that the reason why you left Michigan, Wisconsin, New York, North Dakota...or wherever they came from...is to live in a warm/hot place? Then why spend your time in cold ac places once you're here? Doesn't make sense to me.
Anyway, with a list of "must have" priorities you can now narrow down your searches to places that at least would meet your top four or six or three priorities. If you find a place that meets more of your priorities...even better. Not easy task as you have to keep juggling priorities back and forth...since one near perfect might meet most of your listed priorities...but not one you feel is pretty important to you...but another place might have it...but not the others on your list. Once you've narrowed it down to a couple...or few right places...go there and check it out! If possible, visit during the two extreme seasons...summer and winter. If you still like it...make your move.
We're still looking for that near ideal place to live...and we've looked everywhere...from up and down the entire west coast...to up and down the entire east coast...and southern regions...and other places in between. We've also lived in several countries in Europe (my job) and the Far East (also my job). For me, I'm fine right here in Florida. But my wife isn't. She wants to go back to the Pacific Northwest. So heading back we are. For me, it is more important that she is happy.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:53 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
^^^
Those are all good posts and points.

I have also realized that you shouldn't impose ANY criteria when choosing a place to live. It simply doesn't account for other criteria that might actually have an impact on your judgment of a place. You really have to look at each place holistically and just ask yourself, "would I prefer to live in this place or that place?" And just go with your instinct. Making lists and prioritizing and stuff like that unfairly gives heavier weight to one or two priorities.

One way that I found to be pretty effective at choosing a place to live is to kind of do something like a tournament. So, for example, let's say that you have three places in mind that you're thinking of moving to (Place A, Place B, Place C). First, ask yourself, would I rather live in Place A or Place B? Let's say you choose Place B. That means Place A is eliminated. Next, ask yourself, would I rather live in Place B or Place C? Let's say you choose Place C. In this case, Place C would be the winner. In theory then, Place C would be a better place to live than Place A, even though there was no match between Place A and Place C. In other words, if C is better than B, and B is better than A, that means C should be better than A. Get it?

Old 07-16-2014, 09:16 AM

403 posts, read 557,628 times
Yes and no.

It's ultimately my decision and it will be my desires and needs that will determine where I move to, but people I know moving to a certain city/area will often influence me to look into that area even if it's not one I would have ever considered before. This is especially true if the person that moved there has similar interests as me and they are giving the city/area great reviews when talking to me. At the same time, if that person was telling me how much it sucks there, then it wouldn't necessarily make me eliminate it as an option for me, but it could move it down the list a bit further, like making it #5 on my list instead of #3 for instance.

So yes, I may be influenced into looking at an area because of somebody I know moving there, but no I wouldn't make my final decision based solely on that. In the end, I'm the one that has to be happy with whatever decision I make and it doesn't matter if I know 200 people in the city or 0 people.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:06 AM

287 posts, read 506,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
As long as you can find employment, go for it.
As long as the SO is on-board (I think she is) I'm going to try and make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues