Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,379 times

Advertisements

I live in Brooklyn, NY. I am a single Mother of two children ages 5 and 3 with one baby on the way. I need a life style change. I want a better environment to raise my children. I do not know where to move. I want DIVERSITY, ALL FOUR SEASONS, LOW CRIME RATE, GREAT JOB MARKET, AFFORDABLE HOUSING, GREAT SCHOOLS, EXCELLENT HEATHCARE AND HOSPITALS, GREAT SHOPS, AND LOTS OF AVAILABLE ACTIVITIES. I want a home surrounded by lots of trees. When I look out of my house windows I do not want to see my neighbors houses but have neighbors close enough for emergency situations and I want my children to have other children close enough to play with. Does anyone know of any places in the US that have what I am looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 08:12 PM

382 posts, read 1,069,386 times
Kiki,

Have you considered a move near friends or family? Having young children it helps to have both around should a need ever arise. Next, where have you visited that you might be interested in moving? It is most difficult to cut all ties and move somewhere not knowing anyone or being familar with a particular region. Another question you may want to address, if not of us but yourself, why are you really wanting to relocate. No matter where you go, you will always encounter the negative. Just like the old adage says, same book; different cover.

Having answered those questions, maybe we (CDers) can start to guide you a little better in suggesting possible new areas for you to consider. Sorry I couldn't help but I need just a little bit more information to give you any input.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 AM

543 posts, read 1,901,218 times
Kiki,
I think your first step should be to consider the job market, and if you will be able to afford a move. If you are financially able to just pick up and move, then next I would consider, like Sassy says, a move close to people that can help you out if needed. Three kids under 5 is overwhelming. I've been there, it is a lot easier if you have someone around to help out every once in awhile. If you have no one to live near then you need to consider where it will be safe for you and your kids, and also choose somewhere with a good school district. Since you still want the four seasons you should probably stay in the east or look to the midwest. I am not very familiar with a lot of the east but we are relocating to PA, that may be a good choice for you. I also know from being on these boards that many people are moving to NC. If you move toward the midwest you will most likely find cheaper housing but probably not great job opportunity. Honestly, I am not sure where you can go to find everything you listed in one place. You need to decide which is the most important, the least important, and go from there. The industry you work in will most likely dictate where you should be looking. Once you pick an area go to that MB and start asking questions and doing research. Also, I would wait until you have your baby to move. Finding and trusting a doctor in the middle of a pregnancy is not always easy. Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:07 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
Sure places exist. What's your budget? That will help determine location.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:36 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
Without any further information like the above posts indicated, I would throw out Papillion, Nebraska as an option. In my mind it has all that you noted. It was named in 2007 as the 6th Best Place to Live in the US by CNN/Money Magazine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues