Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:34 PM

7 posts, read 13,279 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My family and I are planning on relocating from New Jersey to Maine within the next couple of months. The company I work for has an office in Maine so I am able to keep my same job. We also don't have to worry about selling a house or anything like that.

The problem is finding a new place to live! We are a family of four with a beagle and a cat and are looking to rent a house that has enough space for all of us (and of course all our stuff...LOL). We've been scouring Craigslist and have been in touch with several property management companies...it just seems like we are having such a hard time. The biggest issue is the distance; because Maine is so far from where we are now, we were hoping to see several houses when we make the trip up there to look at places, but we're having difficulty finding what we want, getting people to call us back, etc. It's not like we can just take a Sunday drive to look at places...it seems we have to plan out the house search the same way we have to plan out the actual move!

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice, or maybe even a story to share if you have made an interstate move. We have never done anything like this before...it's exciting, scary, and frustrating all at the same time!

Thank you for reading!
Myo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:38 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
I would contact the branch of your company in Maine and ask HR for help. What have others done? At the very least, there might be someone who has a list of apartments/landlords.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:50 PM

7 posts, read 13,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I would contact the branch of your company in Maine and ask HR for help. What have others done? At the very least, there might be someone who has a list of apartments/landlords.

Unfortunately I don't know of anyone else who has done this type of relocation (it's a very big company). However, that is a great idea about contacting HR; I had not thought of that. Thank you!

Old 01-09-2015, 10:16 AM

56 posts, read 281,581 times
My family recently relocated 3 hours from home and finding a rental was very, very difficult. We ended up living with family for 3 weeks until we could get approved for and move into the only rental I could find that met our needs. I looked on craigslist and also did an internet search using the town name and the words rental, house for rent and apartment and was able to find a few more local rental management sites that way, but it was still very difficult to find much. About a month later I came across a Facebook group with the name of my city with the words "and surrounding area" that I requested to become a member of. On that site locals sell crafts, homemade items and make posts asking for advice on locating local products and services. Two people posted houses for rent on that site and I was bummed because they were bigger, nicer homes for less rent than the place I ended up with. So I would suggest using the name of the city or surrounding cities/towns where you're moving to and doing a search on FB and see if there's a group you could request to become a member of that sounds similar to what I found and then post a comment asking if anyone has a rental available or knows of a FB group you could join that might be helpful to find a rental. I've gotten tons of information from locals on the site I joined and I wish I had known about it earlier. It's possible that you're going to have to do what we ended up doing and just taking what you can get just to get moved there and then look for a better fit once you're there and settled. We signed a 10 month lease and plan on moving when it's up. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2015, 11:34 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myo1974 View Post
We are a family of four with a beagle and a cat and are looking to rent a house
that has enough space for all of us (and of course all our stuff...LOL).
And you don't want to have to repeat the exercise 3 months later.
Well, at least you aren't looking to buy right off the bat as well.

Quote:
I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice
The EMPLOYER and their MAINE personnel should be doing MOST of this for you.
Using their familiarity with the area they should be able to provide you with links to a few
strong possibles so that you can focus YOUR attention rather than flailing around.

Throw it back on to them.
Then take a long weekend to fly up and look at the best choices (2? 3?) and make a choice.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:40 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Then take a long weekend to fly up and look at the best choices (2? 3?) and make a choice.
i second this. When we first moved from WI to SC, we had no contacts there other then a realtor so besides his help in finding us some home rental options for the 1st year, we did the usual internet searches as well. But we wouldnt sign a lease without seeing it in person (glad we followed that logic, what seems too good to be true usually is) so we took a long weekend and flew down.
By being there in person, you not only see what the conditions of the potential homesites are, but the neighborhoods as well as stores/restaurants/possible schools in that area that you might want to/need to use down the road.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:11 PM

389 posts, read 916,989 times
Have you tried checking out realtor.com? This site is useful for those looking to buy or to rent (different tabs at the top of the homepage). I do not know if this site covers all of America, but you need to at least enter the city and state. Filters allow you to select surrounding cities/towns, BR, BA, square footage, etc.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:46 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Post on the Maine thread on this site. I am sure you will find a lot of help there. We had the issue moving to Texas. Everyone on city data very helpful!! Good luck!

Old 01-10-2015, 07:01 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
I would contact a realtor, it cost nothing to you and let them do the work, they will find you places that will fit your requirements. Its alot easier and stress free and they know before you do the homes that are just coming on the market. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2015, 08:14 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
I would contact a realtor, it cost nothing to you and let them do the work, they will find you places that will fit your requirements. Its alot easier and stress free and they know before you do the homes that are just coming on the market. Good luck!
Right, hire a pro that costs $50/hour, maybe $100/hour on the east coast, to do the work for you. It isn't "free" to you unless your company picks up the tab. If the landlord has to pay a fee to the agent, he has to demand a longer lease so he can wrap the fee into the payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues