Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:35 PM

10 posts, read 13,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
In that case have you considered maybe getting rid of the TVs and just taking everything in your car? Then you will save the money on the rental.
Yeah thats a good idea. Im going to see if we can condense it down any smaller. I don't know if I can get it that small and I have to leave some room for my dogs in the back seat haha But its def something Im gonna look into and try to do. See if my husband thinks its at all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 12:29 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilduka View Post
Yeah thats a good idea. Im going to see if we can condense it down any smaller. I don't know if I can get it that small and I have to leave some room for my dogs in the back seat haha But its def something Im gonna look into and try to do. See if my husband thinks its at all possible.
Well, I admire you for being so frugal. I wish I could get my possessions down to six storage bins.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:26 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Sell the TV's. Ship the rest UPS or FedEx Ground.

No truck, no hitch $$, no trailer

Old 04-18-2015, 12:29 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
What about selling TV's and boxing stuff up and shipping it via UPS/Fed ex?? It's not as expensive as you would think...

Old 04-18-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
What about selling TV's and boxing stuff up and shipping it via UPS/Fed ex?? It's not as expensive as you would think...
Im definitely going to look into prices on that today! Thanks for the tip!

Old 04-18-2015, 01:27 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
If you needed more space you could always pick up one of these couldn't you? (Unless you have one). They seem easy enough to mount/dismount and can be used for other things at another date or sold after you are finished.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:30 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,580,124 times
Who's installing the hitch? That price sounds awfully high! I work for UHaul, and I have never given a hitch quote anywhere near that high.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:39 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
You can ship everything you say you have, for far less than price you quote for installing a hitch on your car. Definitely less than cost of hitch, trailer rent, plus additional gas needed. And you will have a lot more pleasurable trip without the trailer. Pulling a trailer with your size car, also is going to be a lot of wear and tear on your car. They really are not designed to be tow vehicles any more.

Depending on the route you are taking, you may find some very steep mountains to go over which are unlike anything you have in the east. Really be a strain going up some of them with an auto your size, pulling a trailer. And really increase the amount of gas you have to buy at $2.50 per gallon or more overall average cross country (gas is moving back up in price). I know we live near one of the major cross country interstates, and that is why you very rarely see cars pulling trailers any more. We see lots of trailers being used, as lots of businesses have replace using trucks with enclosed trailers. But they are all pulled by full size Pickups, and similar size and powered SUVs.

I am 83 years old, and have been pulling trailers since I was 14 years old growing up on a cattle ranch. Big flat bed trailers, and stock trailers to move cattle and horses. I have moved cross country pulling a trailer with my family. But when I did, I was driving a very large automobile with a big v8 engine, with the tow capacity of a pickup today. It is not something I would attempt with a car your size, and would recommend against it unless you and your husband have lots of trailer experience.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
If you needed more space you could always pick up one of these couldn't you? (Unless you have one). They seem easy enough to mount/dismount and can be used for other things at another date or sold after you are finished.
Going to look those up now Thank you!

Old 04-18-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You can ship everything you say you have, for far less than price you quote for installing a hitch on your car. Definitely less than cost of hitch, trailer rent, plus additional gas needed. And you will have a lot more pleasurable trip without the trailer. Pulling a trailer with your size car, also is going to be a lot of wear and tear on your car. They really are not designed to be tow vehicles any more.

Depending on the route you are taking, you may find some very steep mountains to go over which are unlike anything you have in the east. Really be a strain going up some of them with an auto your size, pulling a trailer. And really increase the amount of gas you have to buy at $2.50 per gallon or more overall average cross country (gas is moving back up in price). I know we live near one of the major cross country interstates, and that is why you very rarely see cars pulling trailers any more. We see lots of trailers being used, as lots of businesses have replace using trucks with enclosed trailers. But they are all pulled by full size Pickups, and similar size and powered SUVs.

I am 83 years old, and have been pulling trailers since I was 14 years old growing up on a cattle ranch. Big flat bed trailers, and stock trailers to move cattle and horses. I have moved cross country pulling a trailer with my family. But when I did, I was driving a very large automobile with a big v8 engine, with the tow capacity of a pickup today. It is not something I would attempt with a car your size, and would recommend against it unless you and your husband have lots of trailer experience.
Thanks so much for your help! For the sounds of it we are probably going to ship everything. Maybe get one of those car topper storage things like someone else posted just to keep the stuff we might need on the way out there. I think it will be a much nicer trip not having to deal with towing anything and like you said much easier on our car. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues