Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 02:09 PM

730 posts, read 769,670 times

Advertisements

I'm knee deep in the purging process of packing. I have a family of 4 (2 elementary aged kids and me and hubby). We are getting financial assistance with the actual move itself. I'm trying to get rid of as much as I can, kind of a therapeutic cleansing of the house and life but we will not have the funds to replace tons of stuff if I get rid of things once we are relocated. I'm looking for stories of if you purged before your move how glad you are that you did or if you have regrets. Needing motivation now to purge and pack smartly for my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 02:43 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
I regret purging only two things: a pretty basket I used that I feared would be crushed in moving or warp in storage, and a really nice sturdy desk that I didn't want to pay to move.

I replaced the basket but the desk would have been too large in my new home. But it was a great desk.

Believe me, I got rid of tons of stuff. I sent an entire pod of furniture to my brother. I had a huge yard sale, got rid of stuff using craigslist, took many trips to goodwill. I'm glad to be free of it.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:09 PM

181 posts, read 493,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomNM View Post
we will not have the funds to replace tons of stuff if I get rid of things once we are relocated.
What? Most people get rid of stuff *before* they move, not after.

I've moved 13 times in my life so far, and I'll probably move a couple more times. Never once have I regretting purging anything. The point of purging is getting rid of things you don't use, don't like any more or don't need. How could anyone regret that?

Old 10-07-2015, 03:34 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
We moved after 18 years and found out the hard way that we kept way too much stuff. We have been purging and downsizing ever since. The only thing I regret giving away was a really nice living room chair. It just didn't fit in our new place. I gave it to our youngest son but it barely fits in his place either! Other than that, no, I cannot think of anything I've gotten rid of that I had to replace or wished I'd never gotten rid of.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:40 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Moth View Post
What? Most people get rid of stuff *before* they move, not after.
Sounds like that's what the OP is doing. I think a phrase was misplaced in the sentence you quoted, and it was supposed to be "If I get rid of things [before the move], once we are relocated we will not have the funds to replace tons of stuff."

OP, the only things I've ever regretted purging have been personal things, like letters and photos of an ex-boyfriend that I ended up getting back together with. That was back in the day before computers, scanners, etc. so I couldn't just scan them and keep them on my computer "just in case."

When I moved from Michigan to New Hampshire in 2002 I had something like 14,000 pounds of stuff (yep!! ) ... just for me. That included several thousand books that I thought I needed for my job. I actually probably could have purged half of them and not missed them at all (there are always libraries!).

Purge away!

Old 10-07-2015, 03:47 PM

22 posts, read 24,792 times
Have you considered selling the stuff you're wanting to purge? That way, if you regret something, you could buy the things that are worth purchasing again?

Old 10-07-2015, 04:33 PM

Sorry, I meant I am purging now not after. I did not word it correctly. Oops!

Old 10-07-2015, 07:09 PM

351 posts, read 492,413 times
I have done a lot of purging in anticipation of eventually moving. I have 3 school age kids. I don't get rid of their memorabilia. I have a keepsake box of my own. What I do regret is getting rid of 2 knickknack dogs that were my mom's. I should have kept them as I would have loved to display them. I also regret getting rid of a camera that was my dad's.

I never regret purging the non-sentimental items. Those can be replaced for newer, nicer versions should I want them again.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:13 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomNM View Post
I'm knee deep in the purging process of packing. I have a family of 4 (2 elementary aged kids and me and hubby). We are getting financial assistance with the actual move itself. I'm trying to get rid of as much as I can, kind of a therapeutic cleansing of the house and life but we will not have the funds to replace tons of stuff if I get rid of things once we are relocated. I'm looking for stories of if you purged before your move how glad you are that you did or if you have regrets. Needing motivation now to purge and pack smartly for my family.

The idea behind purging is to permanently get rid of things in your home that will not be replaced.
If you are going to replace an item pack it and take it with you instead of spending additional money for a replacement.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:13 AM

Thanks for the input. So far I haven't regretted anything I've purged so I think I'm in the right track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues