Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 08:13 PM

432 posts, read 359,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoCali2016 View Post
Are they the only one with metal moving containers? I noticed that the UHaul option seems to be made of cloth?
Mine was plywood with a cover. Again, though, I'd go with one of their competitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 06:07 PM

8 posts, read 98,995 times
Thanks a bunch for letting me know about the PODS/UPack/PackRat option. That definitely seems to be a better idea than the trailer given my lack of experience with towing trailers.

I've been researching about all 3 companies all day and it seems very difficult to figure out which one is 'best' The reviews for them are a dichotomy of 'terrible' and 'great' experiences. It feels a lot like flipping a coin? Do you guys have any suggestions on where to find the real story on each of these companies? Thanks!

Old 03-14-2016, 06:51 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
I think that it really depends on a combination YOU and how much you stay on top of what you want and the roll of the dice as to who is assigned your load to move. All three seemed good when I researched.

I originally was planning on going with UPACK but their prices doubled the week I wanted to actually book. PODS did not serve one end of my move. And they were the most expensive to get 'close'...but not to the right location. Mayflower boxes did not serve one end of my move either.

So in the end I went with PackRat. They negotiated a MUCH lower price to pretty much the original price of UPACK and the Penski truck rental.

Only issue I had was they said that they were putting my move in 'storage' on their e-mail after pick up. I called them and said--NO SHIP IT--as it was to arrive in their minimum of ten days. But since I was on top of what they were doing, it was shipped and delivered on time. Nothing shifted, nothing broken, and it was a very heavy load and not evenly weighted in the box.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:07 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
If what you want to take with you isn't valuable, it can be replaced for a lot less than towing a trailer. If after that, everything doesn't fit in your SUV, rent a POD to ship the rest of it.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:06 AM

92 posts, read 230,056 times
Our plan is to buy a 40 foot cargo container. They haul to my friends farm (40-50 trip) on a tilt bed tractor trailer truck for app $200-$300. I store excess stuff from house (make house look bigger inside), when sold pack the balance. Then use U-Ship to have a tractor trailer tilt bed haul it the 1000 mile trip to our retirement land. While the new house is being built we're living in a 27 foot trailer my son is hauling out for us with his F350 truck. When house is done we move stuff from cargo container into new house. If we want we can sell it or keep it for a tool shed, etc.

Also my wife and I will be hauling our two horse trailer with our lawn tractor, gas grill, gas generator, etc with us. Our horses (3) will be professionally moved when I have the new barn ready since we're not up for moving them ourselves 1000 miles.

If anybody has any comments/pros/cons on the plan let me know. We've been working it out for several years (we're retiring in 6 months).

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues