Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:53 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,088 times

Advertisements

The min my husband got the go ahaead on his last transfer 4 months prior I started packing. On this transfer evan though he will not know for sure untill april I have allresdy started to weed stuff out, only because if he gets it he will be gone in april visting once a month untill i can fly out wiht our 4 yr old and a baby thats due in june (I told him there is no way I can be out there the same time this time, to much work and I really do not want to start wiht a new doctor in a new state in my thrid trimester,and I am feeling selfish about this also.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,487 times
Well, let's see...I plan to move late this year or early next year, and I've been "packing" for about 4 months already. Mostly it has consisted of ruthlessly going through everything and sorting it into stacks destined for Must Keep, Maybe Keep, Donation, Garage Sale, and Recycle/Toss. Since I don't want to take any more with me than I can move in my pickup towing a small trailer, it's been difficult. But as it goes out the door, it's actually kind of a relief. Hopefully by the time I actually have a set date that I'm going to move, I'll be finished with the purge and can just box up the few things left and go.

But, that also depends on where I go. If I stay in the states it won't be a problem. If I actually end up moving to Australia then I'll have to leave almost everything behind, and I'll have to figure out how to get my truck down to Oz too! LOL

Old 02-13-2008, 07:25 AM

186 posts, read 1,061,715 times
I guess I'm the minority. We will be moving in June (hopefully anyway). We have 3 kids so lots of stuff. I will probably start packing 1-2 weeks before the move. We will be decluttering the house and such to put it on the market to sell but won't be packing things this early.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:49 AM

60 posts, read 222,580 times
Here's a topic I know very well, having relocated to several different states in the past decade. My suggestions are: pack up all the things you do not use on a regular basis, such as any holiday decor, knick knacks, and other dust collectors. Give serious thought to items that you don't use, but have stored somewhere in the house, including clothes you haven't worn for a long time. Bag and donate all these items, or sell them (try Craigs List on the internet or put an ad in the paper for anything you think you could sell). I always feel the last resort is to put more unnecessary things in a landfill. Donate any books you may not want to your local library (and get a receipt for your taxes for this and any other donated items). If you're not planning to take all your furniture, try to sell what you won't need before you leave and, if you can't do that, then donate.
Decide what you're going to pack now, make a list, then buy the appropriate size boxes for them along with packing materials, a big black marker or two, and tape.
We had professional packers and movers do the bulk of the items just before moving. Please be advised that not all packers are equal; some aren't as "professional" and capable as others. I was horrfied to find a brass lamp packed in a box that was filled with my grandmother's china. No damage, but a lot of aggravation. Pack up all the personal items (especially paperwork and precious keepsakes) yourself: things you don't really want strangers (the movers) to see. And, like others have already written, write down the room you want these items put in (bedroom, kitchen, bath, dining, living, etc) and a brief note about the box's contents (i.e., Bathroom, bath towels). Don't give too detailed a description, you can always make a separate list for yourself if you want, and give that particular box your own numbering system. You'll have more than enough other items to pack (or be packed by others) by the time you're ready to move. In the meantime, by doing some packing now, you will have a better idea of all the things you have accumulated since moving to your home there, and can decide if you really want to take them with you or not. I've found moving to be less stressful when you do it this way. It's also great to have a "purging" and start fresh, with less clutter, in your new home.
We had 18,000 lbs. of furniture and boxes for our last move (a family of 4 with pets), and that weight didn't include personal items and other things we needed to get started with in our new home in a U-Haul truck. In the five years since that last move, I have donated and sold quite a lot of holiday items, books, outdated or unused clothing, and other things that we didn't need or use anymore. The next move will be a lighter, fresher one for all of us. Good luck. If you have any questions, pls. ask.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:02 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,288 times
Start now. I started packing as soon as hubby accepted his job offer in VA (we're in MA). Mostly, I packed things like christmas decorations, unnecessary blankets, decorations, etc. I used it as an opportunity to declutter our home (and clean out my closets). I also went through a lot of my "stuff" and got rid of a lot. I used the plastic bins to store everything and neatly stacked them in my basement. In two weeks I plan on packing up even more "decorative but unnecessary" things around the house so that I can "stage" my home.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:15 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,946 times
Get packing now girl! When I moved to FL, I packed everything possible that I knew we wouldn't be using. Like another poster said, 2 dishes, bowls, etc., invest in some paper plates and plastic cups. Are you doing the move yourself, or is a moving company hauling it? Welcome to Florida!!

Old 02-13-2008, 11:09 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,855 times
Wow you guys you're awesome! I have taken all your advice and begun packing!! We went to home depot yesterday and they have amazing boxes (ahh the simple things that make you happy) that are great sizes and condition. I began last night with the knick nacks on the walls, and board games just sitting in the closet. Today I'll be doing albums books etc..... We'll be hauling it all down ourselves so I want to pack efficiently, tightly and with as little boxes as possible cause less stuff = small u-haul so cheaper prices! When we moved from Fla to NH i got rid of EVERYTHING! I mean we dressers, couch, dinner table etc. The only thing I came up with were tvs, bed end tables and a computer desk. I have since aquired almost all my stuff back lol so its time to shuffle through all or stuff again. Its amazing how much you can build up in just a couple months. I figure at worst and latest we will for sure be out by May 31st so really thats only 3 1/2 months away! Yikes how it creeps up on you.. Phew if I have more questions I know were to go Thanks everyone, and for those moving with me good luck to you also!!!!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 PM

70 posts, read 300,663 times
Pack everything that you can live without a.s.a.p. You'll be glad you did!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:06 PM

158 posts, read 868,477 times
I love reading this thread. I am packing right along with you. We are putting our home up for sale in April and when it sells we are heading to the Clearwater FL area!

I am so excited. I love using the tubs to pack in.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:08 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIL View Post
I love reading this thread. I am packing right along with you. We are putting our home up for sale in April and when it sells we are heading to the Clearwater FL area!

I am so excited. I love using the tubs to pack in.
I have about 80 of those tubs - i use them for everything I'm moving late this summer out-of-state and packing had me stressed. I've since decided all I'm taking are clothes for me and my son, my laptop and some of his toys. I'm giving away all of my furniture, which was given to me so it's only fair. When I walk through my apartment, there's nothing in here that I can't replace easily and probably at a lesser amount then it would cost to move it cross country.

I tried making a list and when i was done I was like "do I really need to take my George Foremen grill" or "do i really want to take this toaster".

Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues