Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 08:09 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,304,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Why shouldn't people relocate at any age if they choose to?I've moved around a fair amount and plan too again a time or two before I die.

My kids are adults now,if I could afford it i'd move somewhere new every couple of years just to experience different places.

Me too - I would love to live in Colorado or Washington State for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 07:00 PM

7,771 posts, read 6,379,741 times
Age 38 had enough cold winters, moved to FL.
42 company transfer.
43 company transfer.
48 relocation with company permission.
53 local move.
66 now retired, moved to be closer to kids.
81 returned to FL.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:18 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
Maybe they wanted to? Or got a new better job? Or, whatever! What does age have to do with it? Husbands, wives, and kids are quite portable. Pack 'em up and go!

Old 09-20-2016, 07:02 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,800,500 times
age 20 ; emigrated to Canada.
Age 21, emigrated to New York.
Age 47 ; packed up everyone and moved to Pittsburgh with no jobs.
Age 53 ; going to be moving to North East Pennsylvania ; hubby will have a job, kids will be in college.

Its been a heck of a ride.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:18 AM

67 posts, read 60,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When I was in my early 40s and my wife in her mid 30s we moved from California to Michigan. There were a lot of reasons. We had decided to move primarily because we were sick of struggling to keep our kids in decent schools. However when we looked around, almost any other community with decent public schools would require a serious downgrade in our home size and style and we did not like what we saw in the communities we looked at. (Very materialistic/phoney/keep up with the jonesesy). While the schools were better academically, they were high dollar fashion and car contests and the kids who touted maintaining good morals were ridiculed. We did find one community we liked, but could not find a house we liked and could afford. Then while going through a family photo album I showed one of my younger kids a picture of Aunt Brenda and asked who is this and he cheerfully yelled "Grammy!" I realized our kids did not even know my siblings and parents well enough to consistently pick them our in photos. To me that seems just plain wrong. That was the trigger for me. When I broached the subject of leaving the state and moving closer to family to my wife, she was all over the idea. To her, the concept of having grandparents at school events, or able to pick up a kid in a pinch or to spend a weekend with and learn tales of the family's past was what was missing from our lives.

As we developed the idea of moving back to where I grew up, more and more reasons to move popped up. On weekends, our kids would go play with other neighborhood kids in a huge empty parking lot. It was the only open space big enough to play other than some parks that were known to be somewhat dangerous due to the huge homeless/addict population. Real estate prices were killing us even though our house was now worth a sht-ton of money, we would probably have to move into a newish house on an even smaller lot or a tiny older house (older houses in the quaint historic areas carried a substantial premium because there are so few of them there). The crowding/waiting in lines and traffic was bothering us, as was the never ending rush rush rush which tends to make people self focused and somewhat rude when out in public. Plus, when we visited during warm weather, we marvelled at how rich emerald green everything was (a color never seen in Southern California - even in winter/spring when things are not brown, they are grey green, never rich emerald green).

It was certainly difficult. For the first three years, I continued working in California, doing most of my work from a home office and flying out when needed. It was neat to be home when the kids got home from school, but being gone for two or three months at times put a big strain on my wife. Then I joined a local company, but brought my California clients with me. However between the recession and my not being present for marketing, my California business dried up over time and I was not able to get new business locally and my career took a nose dive. On the other hand, you can live very well on much less money here, but we did need to make some major adjustments to our lifestyle (mostly we had to stop eating out, plan and save for any significant purchases like a TV and reduce charitable giving)

Our older kids had a hard time adjusting to their new school. The other kids had mostly been together since kindergarten. Our kids being a bit shy, we considered snobby because they did not talk to other people much. The younger kids slid right in with no problem.

On the plus side, we were able to afford a huge 180 year old house on the water with an acre of wooded land and two acres of empty woods on each side except the water side. No more playing in parking lots. Our only rules for summers and evenings "Do not leave the island. Be back before dark or call. Knock before going into someone's house." The kids played int he woods, water, bike trails, parks, or anyone's back yard. No one cared. "This is MINE, stay out" was not really in people's vocabulary (with a few exceptions). Crime is next to none and you have to go seeking homeless people or drug addicts if you want to try to help them out. They do not come to you.

At the schools, despite a relatively wealthy population, everyone wore jeans and T-shirts or polo shirts. Our kids Target clothing fit in just fine. There was some car envy or house envy around 13-15 years old, but not much and they each got over it.

Having my parents, siblings and high school friends around was wonderful. Suddenly our kids had an audience or at least someone attending for their fist goal, solo, lead, gold medal etcetera. they spent occasional weekends sitting at grandmas feet while she knitted and talking about pretty much everything in life, and they loved it.

For us (adults), it was bad for my career, and I have far fewer friends, we do not like our church as much. I struggle with the weather and bugs sometimes and I miss the day/weekend trips to amazing national parks. There are some good parts. I love having bonfires and canoeing/kayaking for an hour when I get home from work. I prefer to be judged by others on how hard I work at things rather than on what I buy. Health care is better here. Schools are generally better.

I am not really sure whether the move was good or bad for my wife. She says she likes it better, but she really struggled to get accepted socially (I think that is a lot harder for women than for men); and it was ver difficult for here when I was away for months and months trying cases in California or elsewhere.
This was a really great post. We might say the same thing about having moved back to FL from up north to be closer to family.There does seem to be some trade offs in doing this. What you did in moving was give your children the gift of a really great childhood which is priceless. This is one of the positive things that we had to acknowledge about coming to FL to be closer to family. All that has changed now and our kids are in their 20's.We took a huge financial hit staying here as long as we did and it's kind of scary thinking about having to move out of state to try and recoup the losses but ya do what ya have to do at any given time.Your kids will thankyou & your wife someday for being able to grow up somewhere they could run around in nature and enjoying being kids.

Last edited by mermaid sees all; 10-13-2016 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: spelling of course lol

Old 10-13-2016, 11:25 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
In general, it seems like society thinks that relocation is something that young people only typically do. I am 32 and have relocated five times throughout my adult life so far. It just seems like most people think that by the time someone is in their mid 30's they are settled down, having kids, buying a house and all that hoop-a-lah.

What are some reasons that someone over the age of 35 might relocate, whether voluntary or involuntary? Do you think 35+ is too old to relocate? Do you think if someone relocates over the age of 35, it means that they "failed" at life?

Failed at life? Uh, no. Some of relocate at that age for career opportunities or because we just want to live somewhere new.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:31 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,938,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
In general, it seems like society thinks that relocation is something that young people only typically do. I am 32 and have relocated five times throughout my adult life so far. It just seems like most people think that by the time someone is in their mid 30's they are settled down, having kids, buying a house and all that hoop-a-lah.

What are some reasons that someone over the age of 35 might relocate, whether voluntary or involuntary? Do you think 35+ is too old to relocate? Do you think if someone relocates over the age of 35, it means that they "failed" at life?
I have moved 29 times, but not always relocating and mostly when I was younger than 35. However:

At age 36, I moved from San Diego to Texas because my husband's job moved there. His job paid more than mine, so we moved.

At age 48, I moved from Texas to Louisiana, because my husband was laid off and I got a job in Baton Rouge. Somebody had to be supporting our family and this was the only good job that I found. But, the job was "soft money research" and dependent on grants, so not a permanent job.

At age 51, I moved from Baton Rouge to New Orleans to take a more permanent job. By this time we were divorced and so this is what I wanted to do and I did it.

I am 68 now, and retired. I have not moved to a different community since I was 51, although I moved across town three times in the meantime. Last year I bought what I hope is my "forever home" and don't plan to ever move again. It's too much of a drain on me physically and emotionally at this stage in my life.

I think you should not pay any attention to what people say or think. It's YOUR life and you get to make the decisions. Consult family members and those you love, of course! After all, they are important influences in your life. But ultimately it's your decision whether to move or not.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 10-13-2016 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-21-2016, 04:53 PM

894 posts, read 586,714 times
I re-located over the age of 35 twice and I've seen others do it at that age and even older. I don't think there's any shame or disgrace in moving at any age. However, I have heard many folks wisely say that if they do move, they'd have to heavily consider whether it was worth it to do so and start all over again jobwise.

For example, my uncle finally retired and moved to Fl a year ago. However, for decades, he wanted to leave NY but kept refusing to do so because he didn't want to start a new job from scratch and start all over again. He figured he'd just bear with NY and keep the job he had and the security that came with it. (There was no option of the company transferring him down South to work.)

I have a family friend who moved to Georgia in 1997 from NY as well. In her case, she too hated NY but thankfully, she was able to get a transfer from her old job to a branch in Georgia. She was so happy and only had to work a few more years until retirement.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:21 PM

505 posts, read 583,756 times
Funny, I'm 37 soon to be 38 and I am desperately looking to relocate. Only been in my current city 13 months helping with a family situation that's draining my soul. Just don't know where to go. Being childless and single, I know that I'm a vagabond at heart and will hop around until my body/finances won't permit. I've been moving my entire life. You're never too old for a new adventure.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:44 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
You know, 35 really isn't that old and yet it feels like it is.. the 10 years between 25 and 35 go by in an flash and I'd imagine the next 10 will as well. Why wouldn't someone relocate after 35? If you exercise properly and keep your weight down you should be able to remain active well into the 60's and perhaps 70's.. people who don't exercise and let themselves go fall apart and feel older than they really are, as to people who overwork their bodies, running marathon after marathon, or having a job that tax their wrists, fingers, shoulders, or other joints. Everything in moderation.

The less you exercise the more tired you feel. All the time I hear people say that they are "too tired" for exercise or "too busy" .. it reminds me of people who complain about housework. If you spent the amount of time doing the work or going for the jog or bike ride that you do sitting there on the couch complaining about doing it, you'd be done and have lots of spare energy. Everything in life is mind over matter.

I'll be here awhile. It's a boring place to live but it's great in many ways including the light traffic, no state income tax, good house I just bought, etc.. I would rather be here than in such a large, packed metro area where it took 45 minutes to get to work with incessant traffic jams. My commute is 7 miles and there's literally never a traffic jam, ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues