Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 07:28 AM

134 posts, read 176,657 times

Advertisements

Moved to South Florida from the NYC area last summer to move in with boyfriend. I'm a teacher, and teachers make horrible money down here (seriously, like $18K less a year than my last job), and the conditions are pretty awful from what I have seen. I love my BF, but I hate Florida. I'm far from my kids (grown), friends and family. I'm barely making ends meet. I'm bored with the landscape, the lack of interesting things (to me) to do. Homesick? Probably. But I hate getting up every day knowing I'm still here, and I have no money to even go visit anyone in my family or any of my friends.

I know people say, "give it time", but how much time is one required to give it when you're miserable every day? For the record, if it weren't for the BF I would NEVER have moved to this state. We're here because he owns I house and I was renting where I was. I thought I would give it a shot, I thought there would be SOMETHING I liked, but I've gained weight, I'm drinking more than ever, I can't sleep...Again, how much time am I supposed to feel like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 07:30 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf2014 View Post
Moved to South Florida from the NYC area last summer to move in with boyfriend. I'm a teacher, and teachers make horrible money down here (seriously, like $18K less a year than my last job), and the conditions are pretty awful from what I have seen. I love my BF, but I hate Florida. I'm far from my kids (grown), friends and family. I'm barely making ends meet. I'm bored with the landscape, the lack of interesting things (to me) to do. Homesick? Probably. But I hate getting up every day knowing I'm still here, and I have no money to even go visit anyone in my family or any of my friends.

I know people say, "give it time", but how much time is one required to give it when you're miserable every day? For the record, if it weren't for the BF I would NEVER have moved to this state. We're here because he owns I house and I was renting where I was. I thought I would give it a shot, I thought there would be SOMETHING I liked, but I've gained weight, I'm drinking more than ever, I can't sleep...Again, how much time am I supposed to feel like this?
Nothing personal, but you appear to allow others to make all your decisions, including a forum full of total strangers.

Why don't you decide?

Old 03-21-2017, 07:35 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
are you at all interested in hunting alligators or giant snakes?

Old 03-21-2017, 07:37 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Moved to South Florida from the NYC area last summer to move in with boyfriend.
I'm a teacher...
How long? End of the school term seems about right.
Start planning where you want to go.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:46 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
So you make $18,000 less in Florida. OK that would be a negative for me as well.

You also paid rent in NYC and you say that your BF owns a home so you don't pay rent in Florida. I have heard that it cost a lot of money to rent a place in NYC. If it is like where I live in California a small one bedroom place can set you back at least $1,200 a month. That would be a savings of $14,400 a month. When you consider the income tax on that extra $18,000 I am betting that just not having to pay rent is saving you money. So the less money thing is kind of a wash, don't you think?

I am betting that you paid more than $1,200 for rent each month.

So lets figure this out. If you make less money but you have less expenses then how is it that you have less money? Your extra money, pre tax is just a little more than your expenses after tax. So that $18,000 is not really $18,000 take home but that savings is savings that you can take to the bank. well, since you are covering the $18,000 pre tax that you are missing, you should at least come out even.

If we look at your life in NYC and your life in Florida, I would want to know what changed. Are you spending more money to live in Florida? From what I hear it is a lot cheaper to live in Florida than it is in NYC. I looked at a cost of living calculator and found that you can live a lot cheaper anywhere in Florida than either Manhattan or Brooklyn. In fact with a $60,000 income in the NYC area you would only need $38,000 in any major city in Florida.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:59 AM

134 posts, read 176,657 times
While Florida is cheaper in some aspects of daily living, in most it's not, at least in this area. I didn't live in NYC, I lived in the area, and actually, my housing cost was pretty cheap. I was foolish to believe those cost of living calculators, which is partly how I wound up in this pickle. I also worked two jobs before, but can't find a second one that pays worth a damn here.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm just being a big baby and suffering from 'homesickness', and wondering if it will pass and if so, how long it takes, or are there just times when it doesn't work out because you just don't like the new area.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:38 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:

I'm trying to figure out if I'm just being a big baby and suffering from 'homesickness',
or are there just times when it doesn't work out because you just don't like the new area.
You have to leave to learn that...
and it'll still take 5 years to know

Old 03-21-2017, 11:49 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
There are just those times that nothing works and then you say to yourself I'm leaving here and going back to ___________________-. Whatever works for you do it and don't look back . would bf leave too if you were to leave ? if not , then there is your answer . I hope you get happy again soon . try to make new friends if you cant go back or maybe you should go back because of your kids living there and it wont be any easier when and if grandkids come along . good luck to you whatever you decide to do .

Old 03-21-2017, 12:41 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I guess you need to decide it the boy friend or the place is more important to you. Last I checked they still make boy friends in other areas, girl friends too.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:20 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,103 times
I just moved across the country from the NYC tri-state (not NYC proper) to CA. I knew literally no one, when I did this.

To speak to the cost of living: depending where you worked in NY (NYC proper, vs right outside, like Yonkers, etc) you were not only paying state taxes (which FL does not have,) you were potentially paying city taxes (be it NYC or the Yonkers residence/non residence, etc.) So, while you may make that much less yearly...it still <somewhat> balances out.

My parents live in the most expensive county/towns in FL. They have for over 5 years, now. I actually researched moving down there and, if I had not taken the job I did out here, I would have. Gas is cheaper, food is (mostly) cheaper, and living expenses are definitely cheaper than the NYC area (I'm assuming the tri-state or Long Island, as you stated you didn't live in NYC, but near there.) Even if you get out of the tri-state and up to the New Haven/Hamden part of CT, costs are still cheaper in FL.

While you may not be 100% ahead--if you are not having to pay any expenses for the house (meaning mortgage...I'm not including utilities/food/insurance) then even with cheap rent, I don't see how the salary can be that much of a difference overall--maybe 5K less, when balancing out no rent, less for groceries, etc(again if you don't have any.) Even $800 in rent a month, would have been 9600 a year. Not including insurance, etc.

Are you not meeting friends? What is your age range, if you don't mind my asking? As I said, I moved out to CA with knowing NO one (and into a higher cost of living than NYC, proper) and have found numerous ways to make friends. That has helped my homesickness.

You need to give it time. Unless you just really don't want to make an effort...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues