Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:49 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Hey all,

The title of the thread essentially sums up my dillema. I'm planning to move next year. It'll sound bad to say, but I'm simply not happy where I am, so it's making me extra eager to leave. I went back to college to finish a degree though, so I need to stay put for a little over a year before I can/should bail.

Just curious for input from others. This forum seems full of people unhappy with where they live, who are eager to get the hell out of dodge like myself. For those who fit this criteria, what did you do during the last months - year or so of living somewhere before leaving that made it more enjoyable for you? Did these feelings change at all when you finally did leave?
I've been there in several locations I lived....I'm a gypsy! I'll give you an example with a different theme.

When I was in rehab for anorexia I was going crazy. First, I had to eat and it was killing me emotionally. It was sooooooo hard. Everyday was long and I was distraught and depressed. I was there for three months. I had a tube up my nose and down my throat to my stomach just taking in calories all night as I slept. I just wanted to get out and fast...just as the other patients did and some of them were quite famous so we all bonded and felt the same way.
What did I do? I took it one day at a time and tried to accept that it was helping me...just as your education is helping you. I concentrated on getting better. There were rewards. For instance, I was not allowed to ride the horses all though I had three mares of my own and could ride really well. I needed to weigh 95 lbs. I am 5"8 and that took a couple of weeks. I'd find little rewards like playing the piano, taking advantage of the art room and tried to get the doctor to reduce the xanax they gave me. I think they gave it to lessen the stress of eating but it knocked me out at like 6:30 PM everyday. I started smoking! Just for the duration of my stay to take advantage of smoke breaks where girls told amazing life stories.
You need to finish school and although a little over a year seems awful go one week at a time. Sunday to Sunday. Study. Hike or walk. Sight-see etc. You can do it.
I just moved from a beautiful DC suburb and I want to go back so bad. Wait! I "just" moved here last August...it is almost May! So it won't seem quick but once it is over you'll think, "hey this wasn't that bad!"
Good luck!
And... yes I struggle with body dysmorphia still today just like I do with always wanting to move but I am better. I weighed in at 107 at my son's doctor appt. the other day which is probably too skinny so I am eating more. A day at a time! <3

Old 05-03-2017, 10:23 AM

61 posts, read 207,790 times
I'm in NJ just signed a new lease in my apartment but im planning to relocate next March. I cant wait to get out of here and i'm not happy thinking about spending another winter here in NJ. So far i have been making trips to my new home. I was in Florida for 2 weeks last month and have another trip planned for Saturday. To keep myself busy Im working on getting rid of a lot of stuff, paying down student loans and car so i wont have a lot of bills and spending time with loved ones.
I figure the summer will fly by and by the time sept hits it will only be 6 more months.
Just try to keep yourself occupied. Im so focused on my move that i haven't really been excited about my up coming cruise.
good luck

Old 05-03-2017, 03:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
What I did was research places that I wanted to go to. Then once I decided on a place, I started looking at specific communities/homes. I spent two years figuring out which locations might be best for our family and looking at houses there. I also visited, talked to people in cafes or bars, attended PTO meetings, city council or township board meetings, talked to the mayor or supervisor if they woudl talk (most would some were extremely gracious), subscribed to the local and regional newspapers and researched the history and everything else I could find about the community. It was exciting, helpful and at lest to some extent necessary. It helped me relive the anxiety from the desire to move. Plus by hte time we moved, I knew more about the place than 80 to 90% of the people who had lived there for decades.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:27 PM

372 posts, read 534,004 times
Reminds me of a very long meditation retreat.

There comes a time when I think, WTF was I thinking [to do this retreat]?! hahahaha

All I want is ___________ (fill in the blank with anything)

Then... it passes. And I'm very glad I stayed there.

Sit. Breathe. Be still. Breathe again. Let your body relax. Be present.

You'll discover the thing that you're really running away from.

And discover what you need to bring peace (and perhaps/probably some joy) to your remaining time there.

Then you can leave with gratitude for the gifts and learnings this place brought you.

Blessings on your journey.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:48 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Hey all,

The title of the thread essentially sums up my dillema. I'm planning to move next year. It'll sound bad to say, but I'm simply not happy where I am, so it's making me extra eager to leave. I went back to college to finish a degree though, so I need to stay put for a little over a year before I can/should bail.

Just curious for input from others. This forum seems full of people unhappy with where they live, who are eager to get the hell out of dodge like myself. For those who fit this criteria, what did you do during the last months - year or so of living somewhere before leaving that made it more enjoyable for you? Did these feelings change at all when you finally did leave?

Man, I know how you feel being in a place you don't want to be, our situation is a little different but the sentiment is the same. Right now, I'm about a year from retirement, we are living with my MIL as she is elderly (90 y.o.) and my wife is caring for her, and I hate this city. We get about a two week vacation from it each year, that's when we go to our "dream" place and imagine how life may be one of these days. To get through it, we just keep our sights on our move, live day to day, and do what we have to.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:47 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
You're lucky you can get out soon. I am basically trapped where I live for between 3.5 and 5.5 years, but I'm going to self-impose my stay for 5.5 years regardless because it makes the most financial sense. My GF is going back to graduate school here for 3 years, she also hates it here, but her family is here and my family is here, too (though I have zero contact with my sister, most of the time, so it's just my dad). From a financial perspective, not only am I building my company towards greater success, but I have a series of investments that will start to pay substantial money within 3 years, and then a bunch more at roughly 5.5 years, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go buy a house any time before that 5.5 year window when that will give me the best idea how much house I can afford.

I live in Portland and have wanted to live in Las Vegas since I was about 27, I guess. Perhaps 26 but almost positive it was 27, just a few years after I moved to Los Angeles and was disillusioned with the cost of living and the lifestyle. Then I met my GF of nearly 6 years (in Portland), so my path diverted from Vegas to Portland, where I never wanted to live again. Knowing I'll be 40 before I can live in Vegas isn't awesome, I mean putting another 13 years into a city I seriously hate is not ideal. But to your question:

I try to remember that happiness comes from all things. From simple things like a great meal. From playing my favorite video games. From time spent with my girlfriend or other friends. Being negative is a choice, and while I may not like where I live, I try to remember this as a special time of hard work where I can dig in, bank as much money as humanly possible, and basically semi-retire to Vegas by the time I'm 40. From that point forward I won't be doing anything I don't feel like doing, and I'll be living the dream. So it makes me think right now, I need to work hard and earn that right. I need to build the success that I want to have, and no matter where I live, that hard work is the same. So rather than dwell on how much I am unhappy here in a general sense, I try to focus on how lucky I am in life overall and that where I live is only a small part of my overall happiness. It definitely matters, and affects day to day life, but it's not the end of the world either. I want to enjoy each day and really focus on the positives.

Plus, I think that when you have such a great delay for something you want so badly, it makes the payoff even better. I know when I am touring $1.5M houses in Vegas and deciding which one I want, knowing it's actually going to happen, I'm going to feel the greatest sense of happiness and contentment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.