Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 09:25 PM

11 posts, read 7,119 times

Advertisements

I have several questions regarding Amtrak trains.

If you end up taking a train that has a stop, where you have to transfer to a bus.

It claims that you are able to check in 2 pieces of luggage on the train, but later that the bus does not have checked in luggage. However, supposedly you can carry it with you.
Where do you end up placing your luggage if it is not checked in? Does it just go under the bus, but not checked in, or what exactly?

Has anyone ever taken an Amtrak train where you start off with a train but end up having to transfer to a bus to arrive at your final destination? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 09:28 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrie Eleison View Post
I have several questions regarding Amtrak trains.

If you end up taking a train that has a stop, where you have to transfer to a bus.

It claims that you are able to check in 2 pieces of luggage on the train, but later that the bus does not have checked in luggage. However, supposedly you can carry it with you.
Where do you end up placing your luggage if it is not checked in? Does it just go under the bus, but not checked in, or what exactly?

Has anyone ever taken an Amtrak train where you start off with a train but end up having to transfer to a bus to arrive at your final destination? Thanks for the help.
The best way to find out the true answer to your question is to contact Amtrak or the bus company and ask them what the exact procedure is.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:38 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
After the train get to the station, you re-claim your bags. You transport them yourself to the Bus,

The Bus Driver will Open the under bus storage area for your bags. When you get to your stop, Remind/tell the Driver you have bags in the under bus storage area, He/She will open it up Pull your bags out, and your go on your way.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
After the train get to the station, you re-claim your bags. You transport them yourself to the Bus,

The Bus Driver will Open the under bus storage area for your bags. When you get to your stop, Remind/tell the Driver you have bags in the under bus storage area, He/She will open it up Pull your bags out, and your go on your way.
This is how it's worked for me, too. They're actually really convenient. The bus has always been waiting right outside the station. I get my own bags from the train to the bus, and the driver puts them in the storage area under the bus for me, and gets them back out.

The buses are really nice, too. I've only ever used this system around the SF Bay Area - with the train/bus connections, but it was always seamless and the buses are pretty deluxe.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:05 PM

Thumbs up Thank you! Reps for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

Thanks so much for this post
I have tried reading their baggage policies, and it seems a bit confusing, regarding the luggage-the amount you can carry and where it goes, etc. And I could not find a telephone number for them
Your post is very helpful, I appreciate it

It seems that you are allowed to carry a lot of items, but might have to pay extra if it exceeds what they allow, not sure. Thank you!

Old 11-27-2017, 10:07 PM

Thumbs up Thank you for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This is how it's worked for me, too. They're actually really convenient. The bus has always been waiting right outside the station. I get my own bags from the train to the bus, and the driver puts them in the storage area under the bus for me, and gets them back out.

The buses are really nice, too. I've only ever used this system around the SF Bay Area - with the train/bus connections, but it was always seamless and the buses are pretty deluxe.

Thank you for your help as well. Very helpful REPS for you too.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:05 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

I can tell you that’s how it’s worked for me on the East Coast too. I have used the Amtrak Northeast Regional from Alexandria VA to Virginia Beach. The train ends in Newport News, but there’s a Thruways bus to Norfolk and Virginia Beach. It waits for the train to arrive in Newport News, you store your luggage under the bus, then it takes you to a block or two from the beach in Virginia Beach.

I have also taken the Northeast regional from Alexandria to Lynchburg VA. There was a bus waiting in Lynchburg (operated by the New River Transport Authority) to go from Lynchburg to Roanoke and Blacksburg. Now that Roanoke stop is active again (hurrah!) the bus goes to Blacksburg.

I will say that I have traveled on Amtrak frequently but never used Checked Baggage. Either it is not available on the local run or I was traveling Long Distance via First Class. In FC I just placed the luggage in my Roomette and kind of hunched around it or perched precariously on top of it.

If traveling with luggage (not checked) in Cattle Class, it seems to be First Come First Served. Passenger cars usually have a luggage hold area at one end or the other that is filled up by the first three passengers on board. Later passengers place their luggage in the overhead racks until those fill up. If you bring bags on board, you need to be easily able to toss them up onto the overhead racks six feet up. If those are filled up, well …. You are basically SOL “$#!+ Outta Luck”. Various nastiness ensues depending on how combative the passengers are.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:19 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I can tell you that’s how it’s worked for me on the East Coast too. I have used the Amtrak Northeast Regional from Alexandria VA to Virginia Beach. The train ends in Newport News, but there’s a Thruways bus to Norfolk and Virginia Beach. It waits for the train to arrive in Newport News, you store your luggage under the bus, then it takes you to a block or two from the beach in Virginia Beach.

I have also taken the Northeast regional from Alexandria to Lynchburg VA. There was a bus waiting in Lynchburg (operated by the New River Transport Authority) to go from Lynchburg to Roanoke and Blacksburg. Now that Roanoke stop is active again (hurrah!) the bus goes to Blacksburg.

I will say that I have traveled on Amtrak frequently but never used Checked Baggage. Either it is not available on the local run or I was traveling Long Distance via First Class. In FC I just placed the luggage in my Roomette and kind of hunched around it or perched precariously on top of it.

If traveling with luggage (not checked) in Cattle Class, it seems to be First Come First Served. Passenger cars usually have a luggage hold area at one end or the other that is filled up by the first three passengers on board. Later passengers place their luggage in the overhead racks until those fill up. If you bring bags on board, you need to be easily able to toss them up onto the overhead racks six feet up. If those are filled up, well …. You are basically SOL “$#!+ Outta Luck”. Various nastiness ensues depending on how combative the passengers are.
I went from Delaware to South Carolina on Amtrak earlier this year. I checked my bag both ways, and only took my tote in the car. It was great! The train back was full but on the way down I had the row to myself.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:33 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The best way to find out the true answer to your question is to contact Amtrak or the bus company and ask them what the exact procedure is.
I've taken a few rides on amtrak half way across the country. I didn't check my stuff, just stored it in the space provided on the train. Its got lots. They have space for suitcases in the cars too. I didn't get a sleeper either. You can lay back the seats where you feel really comfortable. And at night the open cars is where the other night birds end up and we had a good time there too.

People who take the train are people who are traveling to enjoy, including the train trip, and they aren't uptight. They make stops along the routes, but if they say they leave in a half hour, they mean be on the train in a half hour. If you have your laptop, store it out of your luggage, in its case, and keep it close to you. You may not be able to use it too much in some cars as there are limited places to charge your toys.

If you like hot beverages, they sell them but if you want to save some, buy some tea or coffee bags (neat idea, works just like a tea bag, some powered milk and sugar to flavor and a nice travel cup. They'll give you the hot water for free. And at least one night, buy the dinner. Its both really good and fun to share the table with all the new people you've met.

Trains are cool. I intend at least another trip sometime. But to answer the main question, pack medium sized suitcases and bring them with you, and store them by your seat. Its the simple way. You may have to check them on the bus, depending on the bus size and line.

And kick back, enjoy the scenery and have FUN!

Old 12-06-2017, 07:40 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I took an Amtrak train change to bus combination a few years ago in California. Although the train was late, the buses wait for the train. But I only had a carry-on piece of luggage that although I kept with me on the train, on the bus I had to put in the bus's storage area. There was no problem getting it when I got off the bus as one just has to remind the driver that you need to retrieve your bag from the baggage storage area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues