Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is current social connections, or weather and culture more important?
Current social connections (i.e. friends who are already there) 12 11.54%
Weather, activities and culture you enjoy 92 88.46%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 05:40 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,304,488 times

Advertisements

Are these your only two choices? There are 48 other states to choose from with a couple having mild winters.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:05 AM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Move to California if you're insane and love paying taxes and want the state to control more and more of your life every year and you're willing to watch the culture erode and dissipate as millions of unlawful aliens slowly take control of the state.

Move to Pennsylvania if you want to live in America.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:42 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
You can make new friends. You can't create a vibrant culture with lots of activities and things available you want to do. I have had to live in some real armpits for work where the sidewalks were rolled up tight by 8pm and all the action was at the local WalMart. Never again!

Old 10-11-2018, 02:51 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,763,834 times
I think being where your "peeps" are is the most important factor. You can always get a better job, find something to do that you enjoy no matter what the weather, but if you are all alone it can be very difficult. I'm not saying you can't adjust, just saying that I social support is the most important thing.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:55 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
You can make new friends. You can't create a vibrant culture with lots of activities and things available you want to do. I have had to live in some real armpits for work where the sidewalks were rolled up tight by 8pm and all the action was at the local WalMart. Never again!
Yeah, agreed. And I disagree with the comment above, one of the few things you cannot change is the weather, except by moving. Weather to me is the #1 factor overall of where I want to live. Growing up in rainy Portland, and spending most of my life here, never again. I would never waste away my days living somewhere miserable like that. I want sun every day or as close to it as possible, and nice, warm temperatures the majority of the year. I am not a person who likes change, I like what I like and want that every day if possible. I like to be able to take good things for granted, not feel rushed to go "take advantage of one of the only nice days!" There is very little I want to leave my house to do when the weather is crappy. Why would I? I'll just stay here and play video games, watch movies, and write. Even if it's nice, I don't like to leave my house often, especially if I have a pool, so I really don't need MORE reason not to leave the house, which rainy / miserable climates give you.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:26 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
Must say we love Las Vegas weather; but July, August and Sept are tough. We can escape in 40 minutes to the Spring Mountains (MT Charleston) for hiking and dining in 70s-80s weather during the summer but down in the Valley its very hot. Payoff is 9 months of great weather and 4-5 hours drive to so many cooler places in the summer and respites at Mt. Charleston 1-2x a week. Glad the cool weather has arrived!

Old 10-12-2018, 12:28 PM

211 posts, read 117,899 times
My order of importance if I ever do leave the Houston area:

Job prospects
Weather
COL
Culture/food

Not sure there is much more than that, nothing I'd care so much about

Old 10-14-2018, 04:11 AM

10 posts, read 9,852 times
Wow, I'm surprised at the overwhelming unanimity of the response to the poll.

I guess it was shortsighted of me to think that just having a couple of friends nearby is enough to make a place worth moving to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Pick a place to live where you love the place. You'll meet great people who also love that place!
Great post, and good point. I'm also an (unaffiliated) libertarian with somewhat unconventional leanings (hey, I've lived internationally for 5 years), and I can't stand being around card-carrying leftists (to be fair, not a huge fan of neo-cons either), so that might put California (and Portland, as you say) out of the running for me.

Sorry for all the parentheses.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:33 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Politics-wise I could not live in the uber restrictive environment of California. That being said, I'm not sure if Philadelpjia is any better. In my opinion the ONLY thing California has going for it is the beach. Property prices alone would rule it out.

Have you considered Texas?

Old 10-14-2018, 06:43 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketobeast View Post
Wow, I'm surprised at the overwhelming unanimity of the response to the poll.

I guess it was shortsighted of me to think that just having a couple of friends nearby is enough to make a place worth moving to.

Great post, and good point. I'm also an (unaffiliated) libertarian with somewhat unconventional leanings (hey, I've lived internationally for 5 years), and I can't stand being around card-carrying leftists (to be fair, not a huge fan of neo-cons either), so that might put California (and Portland, as you say) out of the running for me.

Sorry for all the parentheses.
FWIW, I have a coworker from California who is a libertarian (in IL now) and he is trying to go back, so I don’t think you should rule a place out just because of politics. Do certain things about CA politics annoy him? Sure, but not enough to outweigh what he sees as the positive things.

As a personal example, I am more center left and lived in an area that was ultra right wing (our local politician is running for a statewide office and has been in the national news A LOT lately), but overall I loved the area. I have since moved, but one of my friends joked that she thinks she’s going to try to look for the democratic club, which probably has 3 people. I would move back in a second, but there are a lot of hurricanes that affect the area so I will probably not go back. This is really the sole reason why I will not move back, not the politics. I really think politics is a silly reason to avoid an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues