Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 08:42 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times

Advertisements

Yep. I would never change my number. That's how my businesses find me; my friends have me in their contact lists, why would one want to change? Everyone has a number from somewhere else now. Online business websites like banks have your number in their books so you can easily get the confirmation codes if something goes awry or you're in a new place and they need to make sure it's you. That number is YOU. Why start all over again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 09:39 AM

99,501 posts, read 4,489,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Change it. You want to look like a local, not an out of state (likely) spammer. Your friends and ongoing contacts don't care... we all dial from contact lists now anyway. They'll just change the number in their phones.

Unfortunately, the scammers have figured away around that.

Neighbor spoofing

Old 01-26-2019, 10:38 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
I know a number of people who have kept their old area code cell phone numbers. My sister has now been living in Colorado for over four years, and still has a St. Louis area code number. She'd initially planned to change it, but then decided it would be too much hassle to notify all the places she does business with to make the change.

The only time I can think of when it was a problem was when when Cory Gardner (one of our senators) tried to claim that he was getting calls from paid protesters who were 'out of state'.....I guess he somehow missed that a lot of people have been moving to Colorado lately and didn't necessarily change their cell phone numbers.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:03 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky701 View Post
If you are talking cell phones that number is FOREVER YOURS... if thats your desire.. Land Lines? As long as you stay within the area code they too can stay with you as well. BTDT...

You can port a land line number over to a cell phone and keep it forever. I did that about 12 or 13 years ago.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:14 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
No.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:54 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Best way to deal with spammers is to not answer any number you don’t recognize. If it turns out to be a legitimate call, they’ll leave a message. Spammers rarely do.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:19 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I almost changed mine but, in the end, as others have said, kept mine because I had it for so long. It actually has helped because scammers call with my old area code and if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. I've never had one of them leave a message.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
When we moved from Colorado to Kansas I originally kept my number, even when my phone croaked and I had to get a new one. It was a little confusing for some folks here as they were similar (720 vs 620). Then my new phone fell into a glass of water a couple of years later, so when I replaced it I went ahead and changed it to the local area code. I think, for me, that changing it also made me feel like I belonged here, just like getting a Kansas driver's license. Kind of like I was accepting that this was my home now.
I have moved across the country and haven't changed my number. It's never really an issue. The funny thing is that I get scammers and they will be from my old area code. The only time I deliberately changed my number due to area code was when they were similar. I went from "979" to "972" and whenever I told someone "979" they would always write "972." After correcting it dozens of times, I just gave up and switched to "972." Nothing here remotely resembles my old area code, so I feel no need to switch.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:47 PM

203 posts, read 152,982 times
I don't see how one can change their phone number these days. So many sites send an SMS with a verification code in order to proceed with sign in. You would have to change that on every site that requires it...what a hassle.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Nope, didn't change mine when we moved across the country. I got a free Google Voice number in the new area code, and forward to my cell. Now we're moving back to a different area code in the old state, and I'm still not going to change it.
This is what I was also going to suggest. I have done this. I keep my old number because I want some people to always be able to find me, and it's a phone number attached to accounts, etc., and I don't want to have to go change them all, if I could even remember them all.

So, I got a Google Voice phone number and it can either just be used like a landline, with voicemail - or - you also have the option of telling it to forward all calls to your cell phone.

It's also really nice to have another phone option via your computer, in case your phone dies, or you have to call tech support for problem with your phone and they want you to power down your phone. Learned that the hard way. Plus, sometimes my phone is charging across the room, and I can just make phone calls from my laptop with my Google voice number. There was a one-time fee of around $20, and no recurring fees after that.

Ironically, my old phone number is now a local number again, because I moved back. But, the Google voice number still comes in handy for when I don't want to give out my cell phone number.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:51 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
I ported my old number to Google Voice because I had to change it when I joined my spouse's plan. I have call forwarding for the old number, so people can dial either. Neither of these numbers are the local area code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues