Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 06:19 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

probably depends where you are moving. Here in NC there are so many transplants it is not at all unusual to have an out of state area code.We changed our phone numbers because we had flip phones when we moved here in 2010 but after a couple years moved to Smart phones and we changed our numbers then. My sister has lived here 10 years and still has her NY phone #. No one cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 06:40 PM

857 posts, read 843,326 times
Why change it? Back in the day where out of the area calls cost extra, it would ve made sense; not anymore.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
I e has mine since I got a cell phone. I see no reason to change it. Whoever I call will already know me. Whoever doesn’t will get a text or a VM.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:40 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I've had my phone number for a long time at this stage and I trying to decide whether I'll change it for the new area code.

No way! I've had my number for nearly 20 years, family, friends etc., know it and I'm not going to start all over again.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:50 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Change it. You want to look like a local, not an out of state (likely) spammer. Your friends and ongoing contacts don't care... we all dial from contact lists now anyway. They'll just change the number in their phones.
Actually, the reverse is true and is a great reason not to change your number. Over the last 10 years, I've moved from Maryland to D.C. to Nevada and now to Florida, but I've kept the same Maryland number. So whenever I get a call from area code 301, I know right away that it's a spammer and I can immediately reject it. Moreover, I don't get any spam or spoofed calls from my present local area codes because I don't have a local area code number.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:41 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Is this a real issue? transfer old number to google voice, get a local number and you can have both
This is what I do, but I have to remember to make local calls using my google number

Old 01-28-2019, 07:51 AM

857 posts, read 843,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Actually, the reverse is true and is a great reason not to change your number. Over the last 10 years, I've moved from Maryland to D.C. to Nevada and now to Florida, but I've kept the same Maryland number. So whenever I get a call from area code 301, I know right away that it's a spammer and I can immediately reject it. Moreover, I don't get any spam or spoofed calls from my present local area codes because I don't have a local area code number.
Great point on spam calls. They spoof area code and at least three first digits of your number. Bottom line, if it's an unknown number and no vm, it is spam.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:36 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I've thought about it.

I'm from Tennessee, but got a new number when I moved to Indianapolis five years ago. I kept that Indiana number.

At this point, my phone number is out there in databases for work and such. Changing it would be a hassle. With that said, a lot of locals will not answer on the first call because they aren't familiar with the area code and assume it's just spam or something.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
No. It made no sense. I moved to Michigan 13 years ago and i still keep my California cell number. Too many people have that number, and I wold never figure out everyone I need to get in touch with to give them a new number.

My prefix is 714 and one of our local prefixes is 734, so often when I tell people my number, they write 734 instead of 714, so I am always careful to repeat 714 three times. Otherwise it has not been a problem at all. One benefit is robocalls show up as being from 714. I know that if I do not recognize the number and it is not in my contacts, do not answer it. It will roll over to voice mail anyway so if it is some long lost friend or business acquaintance, they can leave a message. That has only happened twice in 13 years anyway, and one of them was someone I did not want to talk to. So I wold say it works great to have an out of stat number.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:04 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
transfer old number to google voice, get a local number and you can have both
I'm doing the opposite. I kept my old number on my phone and I give out the "local" Google Voice number (that also rings on my phone) when I want local people to call me.

I also discovered that the Google Voice number gets almost no spam calls, because it is in an area of this county that is poverty-stricken. Telemarketers apparently don't want to sell to people there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues