Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 07:04 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,841 times

Advertisements

One obvious caution is to make sure you press down the tape sufficiently. When you are doing lots of boxes, it is easy to just stretch it across, cut, and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 11:09 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

Despite the undertone of your comment, my mover assures me those bins are "perfectly fine" for moving.
Your mover is trying to be nice. I would refer you to the below very well-explained article regarding the use of plastic totes for moving, which is one of many you can find on the internet.

https://www.upack.com/articles/shoul...es-for-my-move

Please be considerate of your moving men and use moving supplies which do not complicate their job.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:16 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Try Space Bags for the clothing, bedding, towels, etc. Take up way less space and hold their seal a long long time.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:48 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Try Space Bags for the clothing, bedding, towels, etc. Take up way less space and hold their seal a long long time.
They may take up less space, but they are heavy. Some estimates are based on weight, not volume. Fewer heavy containers may cost more to move than more light ones.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:10 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Your mover is trying to be nice.
Not at all. He was very forthright and upfront about many things, but that included his saying how silly are the kind of comments you're making (not that we discussed you, specifically, but rather comments similar to yours that were made by others, that prompted me to ask him specifically about our plastic bins.) Basically, he refuted what you're saying. I suggest others ask their own mover and ignore random people on the internet trying far too hard to defend their own advice.

It should be noted that the link you provided was talking about whether you should or should not purchase plastic bins for the move itself. I've already said, above, that if you are packing things specifically to ship them/move them, then cardboard is the right approach:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
To pack for shipping, yes.
The link you yourself provided clearly recognizes the value of plastic bins for storage in the home; it recognizes that people already have plastic bins that they will be moving; and it even provides guidance for doing so.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:42 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
I really don’t care what is or isn’t good or easy for movers. I had plenty of plastic bins, they’re far stronger in every way than cardboard and I wasn’t going to toss them out just because I was moving. They didn’t complain or have any issues. As for the tape, same thing happened to me. Lots of boxes needed extra tape using both products from Home Depot. Their tape doesn’t hold for poop. Lol

Old 08-15-2019, 03:53 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
They may take up less space, but they are heavy. Some estimates are based on weight, not volume. Fewer heavy containers may cost more to move than more light ones.
Actually, if the quote is based on weight, then wouldn't it mean that fewer heavy containers cost the same to move as more light ones?

Old 08-15-2019, 06:24 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Plastic bins. There is sterlite and Rubbermaid. May I suggest one is flimsy and the other is strong enough to be securely stackable.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:41 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,362,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don’t know. We boxed up some of our stuff, using regular packing tape, and it went through a hot St. Louis summer in storage, before arriving at our house. I do not remember any problem like you describe.

The movers might reinforce your tape, when they notice it being loose.

Or, you might want to retape with 3M packing tape.

Is the loosened tape stuck to regular cardboard boxes? Or are the boxes plastic or plastic coated? I think we taped our plastic bins closed with duct tape, if memory serves,
Even the best brand tapes do not do well in heat. Ive bought the high end stuff from 3m and others and new rolls of tape left in my storage space for just a month or two lose most of their adhesive ability due to the warm environment.
Last time I moved I spent a few months scouring thrift stores for used luggage probably got about 3 dozen asstd pieces average $7-10 each. The rest i bought totes for. Dont buy rubbermaid if you plan to stack them they always collapse. If you want to seal them drill a half dozen holes around the lip of the box and lid. Use one lid as a pattern for all so they are interchangeable. Then get the heavy 50lb zip ties. Keeps out prying eyes and unless they have more zip ties youll know if theyve been opened. (Even then since good quality zip ties are numbered with lot numbers you could record them if you wanted to be anal)
If you buy used thrift store luggage take a hose and laundry detergent to them when you get home. Lots of opportunity for grossness. Imagine... goes to exotic locales people live out of them bring things back including dirty laundry then throw them in the attic or basement for months... whats wrong with that? And why do so many have q-tips in the pockets? Are those new or ew? Seriously!
Lots of bargains on used luggage that isnt TSA compliant. If its locked and has 3 digits you only have to try it 999 times to get it open. 4 digits... nuh uh.
Boxes suck, boxes suck, and one other thing. Boxes suck too.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:33 AM

151 posts, read 203,840 times
I use the Scotch shipping tape and boxes from Walmart and I have had the same problem, tape coming untaped. It seems to stay on the flat areas (tops and bottoms) but the flaps of tape that go around to the sides (hope that makes sense) is what seems to unstick. Usually I can just push it back down and it seems to stay but there have been some boxes where I just added more tape. It is hot here too, maybe that is part of it? I've wondered if it is the boxes but I'm not going to replace a hundred boxes, so I'm just going to deal with it.

(One thing that I do is after I build the box and tape the outside bottom seam is that I also put some tape on the inside bottom seam so I feel pretty good about my boxes, I'm not worried about the bottom falling out of them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues