Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 12:06 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
Sorry but did you answer if your wife is working? Will she be able to find good employment in your new area. If you finances are that tight and she isn't working, her finding a job is the obvious solution to your current problem. Also you keep mentioning where your family lives. Where is your wife's family located?

both our families are on the east coast. Hers is in Philly. Mine are in Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. So it's all close. We have no family here in MN

Old 09-12-2019, 12:18 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Minnesota has some of the best public schools in the country, and their state colleges are highly regarded as well, and relatively affordable if one has in-state tuition. It's also one of the US's more robust, stable economies. If you need to move for your own career, well, life happens, but I wouldn't try to dress this up as a good opportunity for the kids' educational and career futures - it's disingenuous unless there's some special circumstance here you haven't shared.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Minnesota has some of the best public schools in the country, and their state colleges are highly regarded as well, and relatively affordable if one has in-state tuition. It's also one of the US's more robust, stable economies. If you need to move for your own career, well, life happens, but I wouldn't try to dress this up as a good opportunity for the kids' educational and career futures - it's disingenuous unless there's some special circumstance here you haven't shared.

public schools I totally agree. Colleges? Other than University of MInnesota, I'm not sure about that. Plus, Minnesota does not have any HBCUs. Now, It's his decision but I told him to at least consider going to an HBCU. From doing the research, North Carolina can give us the same quality of life and academic excellence that Minnesota can. North Carolina has a mix of HBCUs and PWI. Yes I know how it is difficult to get acceptance into a North Carolina University. I mean Duke, Wake forest, North Carolina state, Carolina A &T, Carolina central. I'm sorry but NOrth carolina and even Virginia are on a higher level when it comes to colleges. I mean a chance to make more money, go to a great college, and be closer to family. What could be better than that?

Old 09-12-2019, 12:45 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
both our families are on the east coast. Hers is in Philly. Mine are in Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. So it's all close. We have no family here in MN
Where is the step-kids father?

Old 09-12-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Where is the step-kids father?

New jersey. right outside of PHilly

Old 09-12-2019, 03:21 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,078,314 times
My son went to 4 different high schools due to corporate moves. You go where the paycheck is. We were transferred 17 times in 32 years. Not military either.

He now travels all over the world all the time. Five star hotels in Europe, Japan, China, or he sleeps in the car in very rural parts of Africa. Depends on the job.

Sometimes the incessant moving was hard on him. But in the long run, he learned he could deal with whatever came his way.

He is still BFF with his buddy from 8th grade.

We feel a little sorry for people who cannot take a chance.

Spending your entire adult life in the same house does bring stability.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:57 PM

203 posts, read 153,170 times
Do the kids want to move?
If they don't really have friends or hate their school I'd consider moving.
But only to a university town where my kids could stay at home while going to school.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:01 PM

203 posts, read 153,170 times
I'd love to leave my area eventually because colleges here are very pricey (good but ridiculously expensive). There is a reciprocity agreement with a few other state schools in neighboring states where kids could get in-state rates, but living on campus adds up. So if we have an opportunity to move to a big university town - I'd leave.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:23 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I think you may be taking this a little bit too personally.
How’s your relationship with your sister who got screwed over, BTW?

My relationship with my older sister is just fine. How do you figure that she got "screwed over"? Did you not read the part of my post where I said that she stayed with relatives in the old location during her senior year?

After her senior year, she joined the rest of the family in the new location where she was able to attend a nice university and get both a Bachelor's degree and also a Master's degree, and it was all within easy commuting distance (about 12 miles) from our new house. The rest of the kids (including me) also got college degrees from this university that was about a 15-20 minute drive from our house. Three got Master's degrees and one got a Ph. D. so I'd say that we didn't do too shabbily.

As for the adjustment that I and my other sister and two brothers had to make immediately after the move to the new location, I'd say that after about two weeks, it was just like being in our old location only better. My older brother who was just starting the 10th grade was one of the most popular kids in school after the move. I was just starting the 6th grade and I always made top grades, played several sports, had girlfriends, and all that stuff. I couldn't have been any happier after the move and I'm confident my siblings felt the same way.

I'm really puzzled about so many people's reluctance to move to a new location for fear that Little Johnny or Little Suzie is going to be devastated for life if they have to change schools. Granted, if there were only one kid in the family and that kid was in high school, it might be better to delay the move for a year or two if possible, but with several kids plus the parents themselves to consider, I think it's foolish to pass up opportunities for a better life for everyone.

In today's world, working for one employer in one location for 40 years is pretty darn rare. I think that the average young person today will likely work for 8 or 10 different employers before they retire. Many companies will transfer a good employee every 3 to 4 years. Other employees will choose to switch companies (and likely locations) about every 3 to 5 years for better opportunities. There is no need to fear changing locations and I don't think it's going to devastate most normal kids to do so.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:46 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,714,316 times
I'm still curious as to what the kids' mom does--does she work outside the home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues