Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 08:32 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times

Advertisements

Most of my changes in residence have been to follow better job opportunites that come along in life, not because I am disappointed with the particular place of residence. I have liked all the places I have lived - I manage to do fine in places many people would find disappointing. I have not moved or changed jobs in the past 7 years, which is approaching record territory in my adult life. I live in southern california, in a suburban city that was ranch land until late 1960s and not incorporated until 1990s. Maybe 2 percent of the adult residents over age 30 have lived in this city their entire lives. Most people are from other regions of the US or other countries. This is not an unusual statistic in CA. I have lived in the northeast, and found almost the opposite. In a great NJ town I lived in for several years, I figure that 70 to 80 percent of the adults over 30 had lived in the town or within 10 miles of that town their entire lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 09:03 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,146 times
Some of you have good reasons. Others are priced or or their job forced them to relocate. This is one thing I would hate when working for someone!
Keep the posts comming! Positive rep. for you guys!

Old 12-22-2006, 10:20 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,585 times
Quote:
Hahahhaaha. That was funny. It's true. You can't live THAT cheaply and still be in a decent place (i.e., not a dump) ANYWHERE, and NAH doesn't get it, and I'm so sick of him IGNORING it when EVERYONE!!! says it!
BS..Have you ever lived there?Some people talk what they know nothing about.The only reason I moved is I wanted sunshine instead of snow,and who knows I may make my way back there again,it's not ruled out. And this EVERYONE completely disagrees with the quote above.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:00 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times
NAH, I hope you find a place you will be happy at! Good luck in Oil City, doesn't hurt to check it out.... hope you find what you are looking for.
We will be leaving MD at the end of March, we are tired of the horrible traffic (P.G. county), the horrible polluted air and lack of hills/mountains and woods. We'll be moving to Western MA, prices there are about the same, not exactly a bargain, LOL. But we owned our house here with no mortgage and for the townhouse we had here, we can get a small little SFH up there. So we are excited to be moving and hope we will be happy there and stay for a loooooong time, I HATE moving, actually!
Happy New Year!

Old 12-23-2006, 04:21 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,096 times
I'm in my fourth city in ten years now. Life is too short to not experience all I can. I have my husband, daughter and animals with me, I fly and visit my family often as they do for me.

I love moving around and hope to never stay somewhere too long. My family loves where they have lived for 35 years but love to visit me in different places.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:20 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,167,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
All my relocations are due to the job.
Been with the same employer for 20 years but they have relocated me 7 times.

With today's global society and transit corporations, they must move here and there to either escape taxes and over regulations ie. the rustbelt of the NE and move to take advantage of Right to Work or tax advantages ie. Georgia, Alabama, Texas, etc.

For example, I always love the posts listed on the Georgia board from folks being relocated, things like racism, rednecks, etc., like all they think of when it comes to Georgia is Deliverance and the Race Riots. I can honestly say, that being a WV boy I am actually the most Southern person in my whole neighborhood of 300+ homes! I have yet, in over 2 years, met more than a dozen "natives" of Georgia. It's either NY, NJ, IL, CA, or Florida refugees by way of NY, NJ, IL, and CA.

I think the reason so many folks are "restless" is due to the broken family issue. With holiday's floating every three months in the year Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, other, folks miss home. Right now is a good example, the only thing more crowded than Malls is the Post Office and Fed Ex Kinko's due to families spread all over the place.

As far as restless on relocation. There is nothing more stressful than packing up your belongings and moving across the country. Your things out of reach on a truck, wondering if it will arrive in place, broken, or arrive at all. Doctor changes, school changes, car tags, insurance, utilities, etc., basically it is nuthouse city. And the older you get, the worse it gets. Basically older equals crankier

Just some thoughts.
When I was a kid, my dad was in the Air Force. We moved all the time, sometimes twice a year. It is hard. I don't think people realize how hard it is sometimes. I think I went to 10 different elementary schools between 1st and 6th grade.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:04 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,046 times
We plan on moving because of the extreem cold, and the humidity. We also want to get away from my husbands ex, my family, his family, and go some where peaceful, and live our own lives without some one trying to butt in or cause trouble.
We are also getting close to retirement age, and have lived about all our lives in Minnesota, we are so ready for a big change, and next summer 2007 we will be moving, yeah!!!!!

Old 12-26-2006, 10:13 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Every post I read, someone is relocating to location B or comming to location A. Why are we so unhappy where we currently live that we have to spend money traveling? Everyone appears to be unhappy with a specific location or their own home location. I am guilty of being unhappy with WPB, FL and thats sad because I was born here and lived all my life. But the changes for the worse has forced me to move out once I save up. Many of you already live in good locations with low crime and affordable houses so you dont have to relocate!
Yes; things change in the hometown and its not like the era one's parents or grandparents grew up in; For example when my Mom grew up in NY people would let their kids sit out on the porch, play with neighbors, and say hello.

I am hard pressed to imagine a community like that today. I don't think it's a matter of being "guilty" of wanting to move. The cost of living has ballooned out of proportion with some people's salaries. South Florida is great if you are retired. Others may want to rethink their job issues, because every state does NOT have the same job market.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:26 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,729,009 times
Default It still exists

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Yes; things change in the hometown and its not like the era one's parents or grandparents grew up in; For example when my Mom grew up in NY people would let their kids sit out on the porch, play with neighbors, and say hello.

I am hard pressed to imagine a community like that today. I don't think it's a matter of being "guilty" of wanting to move. The cost of living has ballooned out of proportion with some people's salaries. South Florida is great if you are retired. Others may want to rethink their job issues, because every state does NOT have the same job market.
Stay out of the trendy areas and you can find hometowns that don't have crime or problems with the kiddy being eaten by monsters. Lots of places like that in Ohio. The smaller towns are like that. They know everybody, tough to go there and get away with much or any type of crime, unless they sort of wink at it.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:21 PM

16 posts, read 162,978 times
I always think the weather is better somewhere else, then I read the forums and realize I will need at least two homes, if not three. One for summer, one for winter, and one where Autumn is lovely. No one place has a perfect year-round climate. SoCal comes close, but when you factor in fire season and its perils, that's a big negative.

Moving to Oregon seemed a very good compromise for us. Winters aren't so bad, summers aren't so hot, Autumn is pretty nice, and the costs aren't too astronomical (compared with SoCal and the NY area). My kids are all acclimated to the west. The rest of my family is all in NY and think we've lost our minds. They aren't even sure where Oregon is, lol. My sister expects me to 'come to my senses' and move back to NY anytime now. I'm just grateful to be living in these wonderful United States!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues