Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 06:43 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times

Advertisements

We have about 50 or so Hard Rock shot glasses (the tall ones) and need to pack them to be transported from NJ to CA. We really don't want to go through the time to wrap each one individually and were hoping to find something for that purpose. Does anyone know of a container or something that can be used for this purpose? We found a padded one with individual compartments, but it will not fit the tall glasses. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 06:50 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
You might look for something that is meant to pack individual christmas ornaments, I have a box that has seperations in it for bulbs. You might look at Target.

Another thing you might look for is when they unpack fruit at Walmart or some place. Depending on how big they are, how about an egg carton?

I have found that time taken to pack things will keep you from being dissappointed when you get where your going. BUT there is more then one way to go about it.

I have purchased apples that come in a clam shell kind of package, its plastic and each apple has a little cubby hole. I got them at Costco like this. If you could find something like that, then it might work really well.

Good luck on your move.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:44 PM

11 posts, read 31,405 times
My last move, I had All My Sons pack up my house. They used moving newsprint and the dishpack boxes which are stronger than other boxes so you didn't have to worry about the box crushing and any fragile items breaking. The type of boxes you are talking about are not very strong, you would still want to secure each glass in the case. When I moved before that, I used sheets and towels from my linen closet to wrap several of my breakables. Your moving a long way, so if these items mean a lot to you, I don't know that I would take a chance and not wrap them individually. The moving newsprint doesn't have ink so you don't get those awful messy hands, you may also want bubble wrap. Best wishes with your move.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:34 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
When I have moved, I packed the breakable things into plastic storage containers. When I ran out of those, I like those boxes you get at Walmart that they pack bananas in. They are heavey duty.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:32 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
I used a towel to wrap my husband shot glass collection. I rolled one glass, then placed another next to it, and just repeated this. You can roll them any way you like to make the end product round or flat. It makes bath towels useful too. I actually packed my glasses like this too and it worked well!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:07 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
U-Haul and quite a few box companies (like Box Brothers) sell boxes with dividers - made especially for packing glasses....you just pop each glass into its own individual cell.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:55 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
we get the boxes from liquor stores with the different compartments. If you ask when they get shipments and if you can pick them up it is free.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:16 AM

41,960 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Rolling 50 shot glasses by hand into some bath or kitchen towels wouldn't take more than 15 minutes or so. It's worth it to be sure that they're properly protected.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:17 PM

289 posts, read 570,077 times
Uhaul sells a Glass Pack Kit for 10.20.

Here's how the web site descripes it "Glass Pak Kit includes 18 reusable foam pouches, 7-piece cell-divider unit designed to separate, isolate and protect glassware, crystal, stemware and/or porcelain figurines, and an easy-to-lift box with handholds."

So basically you set the glass into the foam pouch & set it inside the box. No wrapping required. Here's the web site:

U-Haul moving supplies: Glass Pack Kit

Hope this helps.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:46 PM

403 posts, read 1,325,557 times
Costco sells a moving kit that comes with glass dividers. I would still individually wrap each glass though, just to be safe! As another poster stated, it shouldn't take you long to roll up each glass in some paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues