Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 06:24 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Can you clarify a little bit?

Are you planning on going overseas, and need to put items in storage for several years?

Are you asking whether you should simply toss stuff that you haven't used for several years?

Are you just curious how many responses you can get to this thread?

If it won't be too much of a violation of OPSEC or security issues that aren't up for discussion, please let us know what you're actually talking about. . .
No, I am asking what the view point of the world is when one side is saying not used in a year, toss it while on the other side, in the past, we have put things in storage when going overseas.

Why do so many people have to make so many of my threads about me personally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 07:56 PM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No, I am asking what the view point of the world is when one side is saying not used in a year, toss it while on the other side, in the past, we have put things in storage when going overseas.
These aren't comparable situations.

One is akin to hoarding in your current domicile. The other is a temporary geographic arrangement.

It has nothing to do with the "past."

If I went overseas and 3 years later popped open a storage unit I'd quite probably toss some things I don't need anymore.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:02 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
And when will the moving company come to take it out of storage?
Unless there is a real reason behind storage such as building a home - it is just another way of hoarding. Check with storage places on how many units they put to auction.
Watch Storage Wars!

Old 03-21-2024, 08:15 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:

Well, to be fair, your threads seem deliberately designed to shout, "Look at meeee! I'm different, I'm special, dammit, can't you SEE?" No complaining when you get what you asked for.

One viewpoint of "the world" does not exist. Just individual viewpoints.

It boils down to if you are going to use the stuff again that you put into storage. Again, such as when you are going to return from a military assignment, or if you just don't know what to do with too much stuff so you stash it indefinitely to put it out of sight. Two completely different situations.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-21-2024 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-21-2024, 09:05 PM

7,073 posts, read 4,514,055 times
MQ and Roku both hit a home run with their answers. Either you want to get a handle on making your home comfortable and nice or you want to continue like you always have. Only you know the answer.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:58 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Quote:
Only, I wasn't talking about standard storage, a unit or room someplace in town, but storage when one moves to another location where they can't take everything with them.

Now, as said, I might have termed it better but then again.....I did put it in the moving forum, did I not?
Yes, that is precisely what I thought you were talking about, hence why I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Obviously, in the second case-- which is the situation in your OP-- )

You are talking about a moving situation. The "philosophy" of getting rid of stuff you put in storage is not about a moving situation. Hence why I said it was comparing apples and oranges. No need to worry about this particular idea if you're storing for this reason.

Old 03-22-2024, 12:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
For overseas assignments, I gladly took up the employer offer of storage for stuff (tools and antiques) that had been in the family for 3 generations. It was nice to have them bring it back to my home, where it will remain until my demise, or my next LT deployment.

I don't care if the estate auction sells it when I depart for good.
I enjoy this stuff, and have room to keep it. Reminds me of the deep commitment and sacrifices of my predecessors.

I don't care if I ever use it again.
I'll have it, just in case I need or want it. (Or I'll loan it out to someone else who can use it). I loaned a very valuable tool out for 9 yrs. I had a spare, and just got my best one back this month. I'm glad it's safely home.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:29 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:

I am not sure who "we" is. My "we" had a safe in climate controlled high security storage for six months and it was obvious that someone was very interested in the potential contents which was elsewhere. Don't have a lot us unused stuff and you don't need extra storage.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:31 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Watch Storage Wars!
I can do better - the mention of a yard sale when he is not home gets SO to find the floor of the garage in a hurry.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:40 AM

10,716 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I can do better - the mention of a yard sale when he is not home gets SO to find the floor of the garage in a hurry.
You threaten to sell their stuff? And that scares them into compliance with your wishes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues