Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 07:45 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Thank you.......

.......except, not having TV, I have no idea what is being referred to in "that stupid commercial".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8bC3Nlq-eo

There's a whole series of them with the same "Dr Phil" type theme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 09:04 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
...There's a whole series of them with the same "Dr Phil" type theme.
Well, not having TV, I do not know what a "Dr. Phil" type theme is.

Seriously, I don't. Back in the first decade of this century, in acting class, we were playing "Who Am I?", an exercise to teach listening. The Person Unknown awaits in the hallway while the audience inside comes up with how the Interrogator, me, is suppose to talk to them, describe their life, so they know who they are, in this case, Dr. Phil.......until one of the audience observed, "The thing is, I don't think Tamara has a clue who Dr. Phil is.".......and he was right......and I still don't. Oh, he is some bald headed guy with a mustache and big smile but other than that.......

Thank you for providing the reference. As to the trim of the house, if more was needed but there was none neither at hand nor in the stores, then I would use what I learned in foundry class decades ago. Make a mold of the trimming desired, back then we used Hydrocal, and go to a wood worker to see what they can produce. Admittedly, holding on to the trim is probably easier for someone who doesn't have such knowledge, though. Further, while there is a way, casting a mold, what is more likely when walking into a place? Is it "Let me see if I can make a shapes like that on the wood lathe" OR, these days, "We don't have anything like that. Sorry.".

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-25-2024 at 09:12 AM..

Old 03-25-2024, 09:15 AM

2,040 posts, read 994,746 times
Quote:
Well, not having TV, I do not know what a "Dr. Phil" type theme is.

Seriously, I don't. Back in the first decade of this century, in acting class, we were playing "Who Am I?", an exercise to teach listening. The Person Unknown awaits in the hallway while the audience inside comes up with how the Interrogator, me, is suppose to talk to them, describe their life, so they know who they are, in this case, Dr. Phil.......until one of the audience observed, "The thing is, I don't think Tamara has a clue who Dr. Phil is.".......and he was right......and I still don't. Oh, he is some bald headed guy with a mustache and big smile but other than that.......

Thank you for providing the reference. As to the trim of the house, if more was needed but there was none neither at hand nor in the stores, then I would use what I learned in foundry class decades ago. Make a mold of the trimming desired, back then we used Hydrocal, and go to a wood worker to see what they can produce. Admittedly, holding on to the trim is probably easier for someone who doesn't have such knowledge, though. Further, while there is a way, casting a mold, what is more likely when walking into a place? Is it "Let me see if I can make a shapes like that on the wood lathe" OR, these days, "We don't have anything like that. Sorry.".
We get it, you're terminally unique. Please stay on topic.

Old 03-25-2024, 09:27 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
We get it, you're terminally unique. Please stay on topic.
Well, one way or another, be it the topic I started this thread with or what others have tried to turn it into with the dreaded H word, it is on topic.

After all, if I go overseas and put my decades old foundry books into storage, shouldn't they be dumped, instead? Get new stuff when I need it?

Well, in our modern world, that method of thinking, of making molds and wood lathes, may not be in the head of the gate keeper of the merchandise world (the salesman at Lowe's) (or maybe it should be with now 3D printing) and if one can't say the right things to spark the answer that the basic question can't generate, where does that leave us?

Old 03-25-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Well, one way or another, be it the topic I started this thread with or what others have tried to turn it into with the dreaded H word, it is on topic.

After all, if I go overseas and put my decades old foundry books into storage, shouldn't they be dumped, instead? Get new stuff when I need it?
Are you going overseas?

Quote:
Well, in our modern world, that method of thinking, of making molds and wood lathes, may not be in the head of the gate keeper of the merchandise world (the salesman at Lowe's) (or maybe it should be with now 3D printing) and if one can't say the right things to spark the answer that the basic question can't generate, where does that leave us?
huh?

Old 03-25-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Ok, I first thought you were talking the practical difference as in deploying. I think any of us who served have put stuff in storage for a while, but fully intending to get it back after the deployment or whatever was happening. Whether the moving company loses it or not is another story.

But that's a very different situation then what you seem to be asking. Let's simplify things down to the meme of "if you haven't used it in a year, toss it." The meme, live so many others, actually has jack diddily squat to do with real life situations. It can be meaningful in one case and totally useless in others AT THE SAME TIME.

It's like that stupid commercial about young homeowners becoming their parents where the guy is throwing out trim molding because he'll never need it. Well, I've learned from hard experience to save a couple lengths because you'll need to repair it someday and, in every case, the stuff in the local lumber yard doesn't quite match the original (thickness/shape/something), so I wind up having to replace the entire room rather than one piece. Just did some this week in fact.

Spare light bulbs for the house? Yep, keep 'em because sooner or later, one will burn out when the store is closed. Cardboard boxes? Maybe a couple in case I have to ship something, but most of them go in the trash. Old worn-out VHS tapes? Trash. Pair of winter boots that still fit? Keep them because winter comes every year. Old pairs of pants with a 32 waist? Donate or toss because I'm not going to see a 32 waist again.

The answer to your question is, the statement, "if you haven't used it in a year" is wrong in the general sense but might be right for specific items. One item at a time.
I get what you're saying as far as these sorts of platitudes aren't always meant to be taken literally and strictly, or across ALL categories of items.
But it's still often a good measuring stick. Let's use your lightbulb example.
Having spare lightbulbs is a good idea, of course, and it would be silly to throw them out after a year "just because." But here are some examples of where that logic falls apart:
* you have 100 spares for a 900SF house
* you have spares for lights you no longer have
* you have so many spares that some are starting to break

Old 03-25-2024, 09:56 AM

10,872 posts, read 4,546,402 times
Quote:

Why do so many people have to make so many of my threads about me personally?

like AOC, they want to date you.

You are not as annoying as her are you?

Old 03-25-2024, 10:27 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I get what you're saying as far as these sorts of platitudes aren't always meant to be taken literally and strictly, or across ALL categories of items.
But it's still often a good measuring stick. Let's use your lightbulb example.
Having spare lightbulbs is a good idea, of course, and it would be silly to throw them out after a year "just because." But here are some examples of where that logic falls apart:
* you have 100 spares for a 900SF house
* you have spares for lights you no longer have
* you have so many spares that some are starting to break

This is where the line is between prudent saving and hoarding. If it's good to have a spare, how many spares? Am I saving things I might need, or saving things that "someone" might need? If I need a particular thing I have saved, will I be able to find it when needed?

Old 03-25-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
This is where the line is between prudent saving and hoarding. If it's good to have a spare, how many spares? Am I saving things I might need, or saving things that "someone" might need? If I need a particular thing I have saved, will I be able to find it when needed?
100% agree.

Our tenants are moving and they're now asking about having a 3-yd dumpster brought into the driveway, because all their "prudent saving" has proved to be 90% hoarding (not the official definition, but you know what I mean) and they need to throw out a ton of stuff.

Old 03-25-2024, 03:20 PM

2,667 posts, read 1,189,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
What?
Ah hahahaha my same reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues