Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 02:15 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You threaten to sell their stuff? And that scares them into compliance with your wishes?
Did I say sell? I said have a yard sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 02:50 PM

10,715 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Did I say sell? I said have a yard sale.
OK, why don’t you explain what you mean, if not to sell the stuff. . .

Old 03-22-2024, 05:39 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
The "if you haven't used it in a year...." "rule" is a rule of thumb only, not an exceptionless law of the Universe. You can have things like (a select few) family heirlooms, jewelry, or high-value tools that make sense to keep for longer. The "one year" is merely supposed to discourage you from mindlessly keeping something around by default without really considering if it is valuable or irreplaceable to you or not.

Old 03-22-2024, 06:21 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
My stuff has been in storage for four years now and I keep paying the storage fee because it would cost way more than the fee to replace that stuff if I tossed it. My pots and pans, dishes, clothes, furniture, books, bookshelves - that all looks pretty useless, but it would cost thousands if I had to repurchase it all again.

Another problem I'm having is finding someone to help me move my stuff out of storage. My friends helped me move it in, but they aren't interested in helping me move it out, although I've offered to pay them. Every moving company I've contacted wants at least $1200 for three people minimum, when it would realistically take only two people a couple of hours if I rent the truck. Even if I paid $60 an hour for two people for four hours work, that comes nowhere near $1200. So in the meantime, I'm getting my trailer painted and the kitchen fixed up, hoping I can get my stuff in here one day. I sure miss all my books.

Old 03-22-2024, 06:56 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,484,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
My stuff has been in storage for four years now and I keep paying the storage fee because it would cost way more than the fee to replace that stuff if I tossed it. My pots and pans, dishes, clothes, furniture, books, bookshelves - that all looks pretty useless, but it would cost thousands if I had to repurchase it all again.

Another problem I'm having is finding someone to help me move my stuff out of storage. My friends helped me move it in, but they aren't interested in helping me move it out, although I've offered to pay them. Every moving company I've contacted wants at least $1200 for three people minimum, when it would realistically take only two people a couple of hours if I rent the truck. Even if I paid $60 an hour for two people for four hours work, that comes nowhere near $1200. So in the meantime, I'm getting my trailer painted and the kitchen fixed up, hoping I can get my stuff in here one day. I sure miss all my books.
I moved from Central Florida to South Florida and stored a 2 bedroom condo's worth of stuff for a year. I rented a Uhaul truck and used 3 Uhaul movers to load the truck, I drove it to a Uhaul storage place in Miami and had 3 other people at that end unload the truck's contents into storage. This was 10 years ago and it was no where near $1200 to do all of this. I don't know if Uhaul still has this service but call them and ask if they do and ask about their rates.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:55 PM

2,048 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Every moving company I've contacted wants at least $1200 for three people minimum, when it would realistically take only two people a couple of hours if I rent the truck. Even if I paid $60 an hour for two people for four hours work, that comes nowhere near $1200.
Then it's not a job for a company or business. Find a couple young guys who need some cash, rent the truck, and get it done. Craigslist, Facebook, word of mouth, sons of friends or neighbors, etc. Offer to throw in a free lunch or a 30-pack of beer after the work is done. Just be the driver and let them do the heavy lifting.

I hear you about the books. Mine were in storage for a few months and it really bothered me.

Old 03-24-2024, 03:35 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I moved from Central Florida to South Florida and stored a 2 bedroom condo's worth of stuff for a year. I rented a Uhaul truck and used 3 Uhaul movers to load the truck, I drove it to a Uhaul storage place in Miami and had 3 other people at that end unload the truck's contents into storage. This was 10 years ago and it was no where near $1200 to do all of this. I don't know if Uhaul still has this service but call them and ask if they do and ask about their rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Then it's not a job for a company or business. Find a couple young guys who need some cash, rent the truck, and get it done. Craigslist, Facebook, word of mouth, sons of friends or neighbors, etc. Offer to throw in a free lunch or a 30-pack of beer after the work is done. Just be the driver and let them do the heavy lifting.

I hear you about the books. Mine were in storage for a few months and it really bothered me.
I was going to go on Next Door and see if anyone knew a couple of guys who wanted to pick up some extra cash...and then yesterday the electric went out in half the trailer I'm living in. So now that has to get fixed first. Now I have the fridge connected to an extension cord that I have to duck under. I tell you, it never ends.

I can order some books from the library and have done so, but our library is small and I've pretty much gone through all they have. Now when I order a book, it has to be done through a special process and the library has to send all over the state of first Washington, then through the US. I've had books come from as far away as Southern California and the University of Arkansas. Leave it to me to want to read the most obscure books out there.

Old 03-24-2024, 03:46 PM

2,048 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Another problem I'm having is finding someone to help me move my stuff out of storage. My friends helped me move it in, but they aren't interested in helping me move it out, although I've offered to pay them.
Probably because they found out you're a Book Person.

(I'm not mocking you...I've been through it myself a few times. They always say "Boy you have a lot of books" and you can tell by the look on their face they sorely regret signing up to help.)

Old 03-24-2024, 04:01 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No, I am asking what the view point of the world is when one side is saying not used in a year, toss it while on the other side, in the past, we have put things in storage when going overseas.

Why do so many people have to make so many of my threads about me personally?
Ok, I first thought you were talking the practical difference as in deploying. I think any of us who served have put stuff in storage for a while, but fully intending to get it back after the deployment or whatever was happening. Whether the moving company loses it or not is another story.

But that's a very different situation then what you seem to be asking. Let's simplify things down to the meme of "if you haven't used it in a year, toss it." The meme, live so many others, actually has jack diddily squat to do with real life situations. It can be meaningful in one case and totally useless in others AT THE SAME TIME.

It's like that stupid commercial about young homeowners becoming their parents where the guy is throwing out trim molding because he'll never need it. Well, I've learned from hard experience to save a couple lengths because you'll need to repair it someday and, in every case, the stuff in the local lumber yard doesn't quite match the original (thickness/shape/something), so I wind up having to replace the entire room rather than one piece. Just did some this week in fact.

Spare light bulbs for the house? Yep, keep 'em because sooner or later, one will burn out when the store is closed. Cardboard boxes? Maybe a couple in case I have to ship something, but most of them go in the trash. Old worn-out VHS tapes? Trash. Pair of winter boots that still fit? Keep them because winter comes every year. Old pairs of pants with a 32 waist? Donate or toss because I'm not going to see a 32 waist again.

The answer to your question is, the statement, "if you haven't used it in a year" is wrong in the general sense but might be right for specific items. One item at a time.

Old 03-24-2024, 11:00 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Ok, I first thought you were talking the practical difference as in deploying. I think any of us who served have put stuff in storage for a while, but fully intending to get it back after the deployment or whatever was happening. Whether the moving company loses it or not is another story.

But that's a very different situation then what you seem to be asking. Let's simplify things down to the meme of "if you haven't used it in a year, toss it." The meme, live so many others, actually has jack diddily squat to do with real life situations. It can be meaningful in one case and totally useless in others AT THE SAME TIME.

It's like that stupid commercial about young homeowners becoming their parents where the guy is throwing out trim molding because he'll never need it. Well, I've learned from hard experience to save a couple lengths because you'll need to repair it someday and, in every case, the stuff in the local lumber yard doesn't quite match the original (thickness/shape/something), so I wind up having to replace the entire room rather than one piece. Just did some this week in fact.

Spare light bulbs for the house? Yep, keep 'em because sooner or later, one will burn out when the store is closed. Cardboard boxes? Maybe a couple in case I have to ship something, but most of them go in the trash. Old worn-out VHS tapes? Trash. Pair of winter boots that still fit? Keep them because winter comes every year. Old pairs of pants with a 32 waist? Donate or toss because I'm not going to see a 32 waist again.

The answer to your question is, the statement, "if you haven't used it in a year" is wrong in the general sense but might be right for specific items. One item at a time.
Thank you.......

.......except, not having TV, I have no idea what is being referred to in "that stupid commercial".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues