Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:25 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,230 times

Advertisements

We moved two months ago. I can't express in words how much I hate it. And before anyone says do this do that I tried . This area is like living on Waltons Mountian. I'm from the country and came from Michigan. I have had one issue after another. Drivers license, then two of my kids are Special Ed and have to be totally retested and now my daughter accrording to this state sjouldn't have passed KIndergarden although she did in Michigan now after three weeks of school they want to put her in Kindergarden. Just understand when you have kids in school and your moving. Education isn't universal and what and how your kids did where you came from will be different where your going. No Charter schools , no video stores but one, no Lutheran Churches no stores to shop at that you can pick from. Tried to get involved in the political race , yea there is one going on people. We live 20 mins from a town. I have to live where there at least close by is opputunity for choices. School, shopping involvement this doesn't work for me and to be honest when moving there are a lot of things that you don't think about until you are there. For me a good jon is great and I know what it is like to not have one. But family and friends and a place to belong is really what makes us who we are. I thought I would like a warmer place but I miss the feeling of Fall in Michigan and the smell. Only one place they call me one of their own. I'm just saying to those who are moving don't just check out areas for saftey or schools. Look at your life now and see what you find is important to you. Is having several choices to shop at, is there churches in your area. You can always say well we can srive here or there. THat gets really old. If you don't like the public school is there other choices open to your children. Even the classes my son takes in High school are totally different.Wherever your moving there are always different options where to live. I know that this area is not for me. I hope to move back to Michigan next Summer but if not I will be looking at a different area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 11:16 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,787 times
MichiganMom, just curious did you even visit the area you moved to or was it a move sight unseen? You seem surprised by the fact that there is no convenient shopping, that it's warm, etc. Was this a move that was not by choice? If so, I feel bad for you and hope that you will be able to move to a place that will make you happier. Being forced to move away from all you know to a place that you do not like is miserable. Your kids will hopefully adapt and if they struggle at least you can tell them that they only need to survive this year and it will get better. Good luck to you, I hope things feel more comfortable for you as time goes on.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:27 AM

464 posts, read 1,360,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
We moved two months ago. I can't express in words how much I hate it. And before anyone says do this do that I tried . I hope to move back to Michigan next Summer but if not I will be looking at a different area.
Exactly. But I dont remember seeing, where did you move to? Thats unfortunent.

What's worse is living in a place where everytime you express you desires of not liking it, people are rude and defensive and blame your dislike on mental problems, lack of goals/planning, homesick, etc.

Im glad to relate to someone like yourself experiencing similar difficulties, but at the same time hope you are able to find a place you actually like.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:55 AM

147 posts, read 535,361 times
Quote:
We moved two months ago. I can't express in words how much I hate it. And before anyone says do this do that I tried . This area is like living on Waltons Mountian. I'm from the country and came from Michigan. I have had one issue after another. Drivers license, then two of my kids are Special Ed and have to be totally retested and now my daughter accrording to this state sjouldn't have passed KIndergarden although she did in Michigan now after three weeks of school they want to put her in Kindergarden. Just understand when you have kids in school and your moving. Education isn't universal and what and how your kids did where you came from will be different where your going. No Charter schools , no video stores but one, no Lutheran Churches no stores to shop at that you can pick from. Tried to get involved in the political race , yea there is one going on people. We live 20 mins from a town. I have to live where there at least close by is opputunity for choices. School, shopping involvement this doesn't work for me and to be honest when moving there are a lot of things that you don't think about until you are there. For me a good jon is great and I know what it is like to not have one. But family and friends and a place to belong is really what makes us who we are. I thought I would like a warmer place but I miss the feeling of Fall in Michigan and the smell. Only one place they call me one of their own. I'm just saying to those who are moving don't just check out areas for saftey or schools. Look at your life now and see what you find is important to you. Is having several choices to shop at, is there churches in your area. You can always say well we can srive here or there. THat gets really old. If you don't like the public school is there other choices open to your children. Even the classes my son takes in High school are totally different.Wherever your moving there are always different options where to live. I know that this area is not for me. I hope to move back to Michigan next Summer but if not I will be looking at a different area.
I dont mean this in a mean way, but MM, these are all things you couldve found out using Google before you moved.

And Urbane, believe me, I know whats to hate about Dallas but don't start blaming anyone else for your choices, thats a bad road to be on. Your relatives helped for sure but in the end, there's nothing to resent. Your adventure turned out not be so great, but you're learning new things and people who never make mistakes are pretty boring yknow..

One more thing - if you think the terrain in Dallas is depressing DONT go to Vegas. Using Google street view you can see what Vegas looks like off the Strip - every road is lined with the concrete walls of gated communities or strip malls with the same ole box stores and gas stations. Cant tell one side of town from the other. I am NOT exagerrating. Makes Dallas look charming. Pick NY or CA, they are beautiful states - and research first

(I find that even searching flickr - regular people's pictures - can offer some good and realistic information)

Old 09-11-2008, 07:52 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
yes it was a break...insurance did drop and there are great deals on rentals here...BUT!

Except for the people that are from some other great city besides dallas; the ones here are complicated; the terrain is BORING, its like hundreds of miles to get anywhere...

I think in any City / State will have there minus & plus.

As for people; Everywhere you go you have nice people and jerk ones.
It really is all that you make it out to be.

I live in Austin and can tell you here its easy to make friends, but it really depends who you are and your way of approach. I am not a match-maker but I know a jerk when I see them. I shrug my shoulder and move on.

In all honesty, I saw some of your posts on Dallas and how much you hate it. I don't know Dallas much, but I meet plenty of nice, polite, friendly people that reside in that area due to my job, vendors and training there.

Do you have any hobbies?

As for terrian, I actually think any big city, you really don't have hardcore terrain unless your in Park City, UT or something like that. LOL!!

Do you like to jog, hike or bike? I meet a lot of friends by biking / cycling. I been to Boulder Park in Dallas, very cool!!

Check this out something, maybe seeing some parks / terrain and lush green will change your mind

MountainBikeTx.com | Texas trails | Region 2 - Prairies & Lakes

Sounds like your single also, do you find it hard meeting ladies there? I can't comment much on that scene, but I can tell you from a lot of my single buds they have no problem meeting the woman out there!

Good luck and I hope things work out well for you.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:58 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
Quote:
I just cant wait to get out of here...Sometimes we get complacent with the way things are going in one place; but then we get bored and go someplace completely different and resent it.
Ah heck, I move every chance I get. New place, new things, new adventure. People back home get kinda boring, same ol thing every day, same ol sad song.

There's always someone looking for a fresh face to brighten their spirits. Let 'em see yours.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:42 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,128 times
Urbane......I'd give you a rep for leaving Miami ( i lived in Miami Lakes a year and hated it 360 of those days) but I think you still have too much Miami in ya
If you want a town you can party in all night and drive like there is no tomorow, try Atlanta. Just like Miami..but nicer somehow

Old 09-11-2008, 12:02 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,611 times
Being happy comes from somewhere inside of you - there isn't anything external that can create long-term happiness. A place, a person, a thing - these can only create temporary happiness or unhappiness. You have to find true contentment within yourself, and then you will be happy pretty much anywhere. Sorry if this sounds too metaphysical but I couldn't help but say it.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:44 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,102,730 times
Quote:

family and friends and a place to belong are really what make us who we are.
Actually, that's not correct. How WE, ourselves, choose to feel about anything is exactly what makes us who we are.

Whose life is it anyway? WE are the ones living our lives, from moment to moment. WE are the ones who decide if a food, a person, a road, an event, feels good to us or not.

People and places are forces, powers outside of ourselves. If we choose to depend on other people, places, events, and things "making us happy", we'll never get there. We will always know we have chosen to be at the mercy of everything outside ourselves. Nothing can "make us happy". Happiness is always and forever a choice that we get to make freely, joyously, deliberately, every moment of our lives. Or not, since annoyance, anger, impatience, jealousy, and all the other shades of fear are also choices.

When we feel angry we can stop -- look at ourselves, just bend a tiny bit to the side of how we're seeing something, bend a little out of ourselves, look at the bad-feeling thought we've chosen, notice how horrible we feel, remember that we don't want to live feeling like that, and then we can choose a better-feeling thought.

When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change ...

Look at the road you've chosen to dislike. Stop. Look at it again, and notice how well it's paved, how pretty the trees are along it, how cleanly straight it is or how invitingly it twists and turns. Smile. You've now changed the way you look at it... You've chosen to give yourself happiness instead of unhappiness... That's how to make a life you love.

This is our life. It's not a dress rehearsal -- this is it! Our lives are meant to be joyous, not enraged about what is, or impatient for what isn't. Now is all we have. The past has disappeared forever. The future never arrives. Now is all there ever is. Joy, delight, enthusiasm, eagerness -- these are choices we can make, every minute, choosing to enjoy our lives, choosing to make our lives feel good.

Change the way you look at things, and you will change the fabric of your life from anger to pleasure, from pushing against and wondering why life stinks, to flowing with and finding out that we've become joy. It's your life. It's your choice. I wish you joy!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:38 PM

464 posts, read 1,360,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Being happy comes from somewhere inside of you - there isn't anything external that can create long-term happiness. A place, a person, a thing - these can only create temporary happiness or unhappiness. You have to find true contentment within yourself, and then you will be happy pretty much anywhere. Sorry if this sounds too metaphysical but I couldn't help but say it.
Internal Happiness, in my opinion is the bi-product of external happiness.

Yes, you can try and feel happy despite outside circumstances, but eventually we get fed up with the way things are...and it affects the way we view places.

Simple put, if some place sucks...its not because of us...it's it that's making us miserable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues