Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 01:42 PM

371 posts, read 1,260,026 times

Advertisements

I'm a nurse relocating to Sarasota, FL in June. I can either:

travel nurse- take an assignment for probably 3mos. They provide a furnished apartment or housing stipend. You simply pick up the keys upon your arrival. They pay for my plane ticket. I could put my stuff in storage here in NC, and eventually move it down.

Permanent Job- in hopes of a relocation package. Probably wouldn't cover it all, but most of it. Would need to live in a hotel til stuff came ( me, husband , and 2 toddlers). So that would be an expense.

I suppose I go back and forth b/c each comes w/ pros and cons...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 01:57 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,538 times
All this depends on when your relocation becomes permanent. I would leave my family in NC until I get a permanent job--no since of having the family uproot themselves. If you are unable to afford the complexities of two homes, than I would store my belongings and have the temporary assignment pay for my stay.

Good thing you have toddlers, it makes moving so much easier.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:01 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,860 times
If you can travel nurse to the same city you want to live. Do it that way. You have decited your going so put the stuff you dont need in storage and go with the travel nurse agency. Let them pay your miliage and way down, give you a place to stay. You won't need to go through the hassel of deposits, background checks etc. To get in a place. When you get there you can look around for a place to stay permanent. You can also extend your stay with the travel company if needed(probably) and have the time to really look and see which area you want to live in.
Be ready though, at the end of the year the travel company will hit you with everything they furnish as wages and you will have to pay taxes on it.
Hope it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues