Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:08 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times

Advertisements

As a Calif resident we have to have cars smogged (certified) to be registered within the state.

Any out of state vehicle to be registered within the state needs to get a smog certificate here.

On completion of the smog test...your old title is given to the DMV who in turn will issue a NEW Calif title from Sacramento addition to Calif plates.

Depending on the yr of your vehicle (within the last 20 yrs) has to have a smog check on registration.

Many of the NEW cars already have the required smog aquipment from the assembly plant.

If your car has some RUST...better to unload it in your home state and buy a car here.

The fees paid to register your car here (from out of state) may be HIGH...so you can save that expense.

Either way a smog test would be required on purchasing a vehicle in Calif. A private party would be resposible for that. If purchased thru a dealer...they may charge you for the test before car can be delivered to you. Have not bought a car from a dealer in a long time so not sure on any new laws.

Good luck. Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 11:32 AM

47 posts, read 151,537 times
Default I did it

In july 08, my son and i moved from California to Utah. I traded my 2004 mazda 3 in for a 2006 ford freestar. we only took what would fit in the van. Until the last month, we both were still sleeping on air mattresses. Our living room still only has a tv..we will buy a new couch this week. it was amazing to us to see what you can do without! I say go for it!!

Old 03-30-2009, 05:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Me and my boyfriend moved 25 miles away from our old place and we STILL sold 75% of what we owned... just wasn't worth the hassle. We went on craigslist and trolled Goodwill and redecorated our entire new house with just the money earned from selling our old stuff New house, new decorations, new happy life

Old 04-01-2009, 07:42 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabells View Post
How exactly do I do this? In ND, I wouldn't think that they would even have the equipment to test it. I was wondering if it would be better to buy a CA vehicle and then ship it? *sigh* complications...
If you belong to the AAA they should be able to help you on that. If your state tests emmissions at all they should be able to test your car. I would contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in the county your moving, or the state office, and ask for assistance as well.

If the car is new it should not be a problem but some cars have special editions for California as well.

Buying a car in California sight unseen and having it shipped would be risking never inspecting it too. I'd call and find someplace who can test your car and see how close or far it is. The standards should be available on the net. Consult your mechanic about what it would take to get it to pass if not.

Good luck! I don't know if I can put phone numbers on this but I still have my socal phone book so pm me if you want the number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues