Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:33 PM

4 posts, read 57,877 times

Advertisements

I moved from California to Pennsylvania last year. I was born and raised in California, but after seeing the beauty of nature in Pennsylvania i decided to move there. I am still in college, so I moved there with the main focus of school and enjoying the new place to live. I moved with my boyfriend, so I was not completely alone. It was expensive paying for out of state tuition and I did not have a car. I didn't have a chance the whole year to visit home and missed it a lot. I felt at the time there were a lot more negatives living there than positives. All I could think of were all the good times I had back home with my family, so I moved home. Now that I am home, I hate it. I loved my job in Pennsylvania, so I got a job doing the same thing here, but I realize now it wasn't the job I had that I liked, it was the people i worked with. I want more than anything to go back there but I don't know when to do it. Before I left the first time I felt like I needed to do this during college because then I could go for a couple years before I had obligations like a house and kids. But now i'm thinking after i graduate college maybe I should try moving back? Even though California is home, there is something about Pennsylvania that just seems much more welcoming. I was there for a year and it felt like 10 years. I've been home for about 6 months and feel like i just got here last month. Time seems to fly by here in California. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I would like to hear others personal experiences on moving..thankss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 12:31 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,261 times
As a matter of fact hubby and I moved out of Ca. to a state I researched online in 2003. We'd been in Ca. since about 1991 and I was ready to go.

I LOVED where we moved, he was romancing California and was homesick.

That was until, due to a medical issue, we ended up moving back to Ca. Since we've been back in Ca. he wants to go back.

We will be moving back as soon as things fall into a better place.

We were gone for 2 years and have been back for I guess almost 5. Time to me here, blends into one long chain of the same old thing. It passes too fast because we're too busy working and getting things done to sit back and be happy and relax.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:46 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,969 times
They say it's never the same once you come back (home that is).

Old 11-07-2009, 10:52 AM

I was interested in this thread because I still ---3 years later--- think about moving "home". Hubby has no interest though

Old 11-07-2009, 02:14 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Follow your desire and move back. You're young and you don't want to live your life on "could of, would of, should of."

Old 11-08-2009, 11:09 AM

296 posts, read 802,945 times
I was raised in Calif (near LA) and left when I was 21. I would never return to CA. But that is me - obviously millions of people love Calif..

Old 11-08-2009, 11:53 AM

I can't wait to get out myself. We have decided on Texas as the place to raise our (future) children.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:36 PM

298 posts, read 998,603 times
I am from Upstate NY and moved to Maryland in 2000. My husband and I missed our family and friends in NY so we moved back in 2006 and it was not what we expected. We knew Upstate NY had crappy jobs but we figured that we would make do as long as we were with family. It wasn't until we were back for a few months that we realized that living in Maryland was so much better. We had great jobs and there was so much to do, and the weather was alot better. In NY our family/friends had their own lives and we only occasionally got to see them. We ended up moving back to Maryland last year and know that we will never move back to NY again. At least we got that our of our system and know where the grass is greener.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:47 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
I moved from Texas to NYC on a whim once. I missed home and family so I decided not to stay after several months. When I moved back to Texas, I realized just how much I missed Manhattan and how much better I fit in there. I miss it.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:23 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
We just moved from Florida to Minnesota with no family and friends for work and quality of life. When I miss family and friends I force myself to remember things the way they actually were not how I now remember them. I think its easy to lament where and what we left - but more important to embrace the new move and give it time. Pick your new home carefully, save for at least 2 trips home and then embrace your new home with everything you have. When you get ing down - do something you could not have done at home. Heck - im trying to embrace the upcoming brutal winter by thinking warm thoughts!

To the OP - go back - as someone else advised - dont live with regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues