Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:54 PM

336 posts, read 927,786 times

Advertisements

My husband was laid off & received a job offer in another state. He is there already commuting home twice a month while I stay here with our 4 kids waiting for the house to sell. As many of you know, the housing market is not great and I'm starting to panic that our house will never sell; it's been on the market for 3 months now. (Please no realtor advice here on selling your house, we know all that & are priced very competitively). I'm trying to learn to live day to day & not agonize about the future but I'm not a person that does well with uncertainty. We've looked into renting down there while waiting to sell, but it would be tough financially & rental housing is very tough to find. Are any of you in the same boat? How are you managing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 12:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
It is early May. You probably live in a family neighborhood. Most people buying in your neighborhood aren't going to be looking at your house in person until they make a house hunting trip there (probably over this past spring break) or when school is out. Nobody with kids will be looking until school is out. If it is late July then I'd start getting nervous. It is still too early.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:25 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Problem living in a house for sale, you want it to looked lived in/home. But hard to actually live in. If you can, you may have to move out and stage the house, rented or used furnature.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:50 AM

860 posts, read 2,716,591 times
. We are in a similar situation, but have different problems. My husband started his new job in AZ 4 weeks ago and we are going with him in 2 weeks despite the fact that our house is still on the market we have a contingent offer but not sure if their house will sell . It is really hard to be a single parent to 4 and then whip your house into shape for a showing! We had a ton before the tax credit ended, but less now. The offer was signed a few hours before the credit ran out! the credit was great but it does make you feel that you missed the boat unless you are SOLD!

We are making the decision to leave the older 2 kids with Grandma till school is out and take the younger two with a trailer and stuff for our small house. We will have to rent a house that's half the size we are used to so that we can somewhat afford the payments. We are not taking some of our comfy beds because I know the house will not look as good without certain furnishings- and then we will have to pay movers to bring those things out when it sells for sure. But of course the quote is too high so my husband thinks hes coming back to get it himself. I think that's unrealistic.

Due to the fact that it's too far to drive for visits, we are making the decision to stay together.The flight he took from Phoenix to IN was $500 for his one visit! Its hard to imagine how it will all go, and we are staying in the little rental for 1 yr to offset the cost of moving before we sell.

mmhl, I wish you all the best I know how stressful it is and hard to move on until you have that accepted offer and are on your way to closing. Hoping that your home sells soon. Its hard if you move before selling too, I am really not sure where I will be sleeping in a few weeks, maybe on the sofa. But my master bedroom furniture totally improves the space, how can I take it? I want my home to look comfortable, so I have to give up actually being comfortable- unless we sell in time! Its madening!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:57 AM

It is maddening- one day I think, we should all go & try to rent, the next day, I think we should stay here. I think you are the ones that live in SW Fort Wayne, right? That is where we are going. Rentals are hard to find! Plus, then how do I know the house we buy will be in the same elementary school as the rental? Argh!

Best of luck to you to Arizona. I hope your house sale goes through!!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:38 AM

Maddening, yes! See, I can't even spell anymore!

Yes I am in SW Allen, I did a quick look and it is hard to find rentals.

Be glad that you can drive for visits, so that you have the option of keeping up your home. Good luck to you as well. Are home sale prices better here than in MN? We will pay more in AZ to purchase, but rentals are more available and better priced.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:00 PM

Yes, housing is more affordable there than here, so once we sell here then it will be much more fun! LOL But housing prices have dropped here as they have everywhere.

The flights out of Fort Wayne are ridiculously expensive I must say, why even have that airport if you can't afford to use it half the time!

Old 05-12-2010, 06:55 PM

We usually drive to Indy, sorry to say. I see that South Bend is now doing Allegiant flights, to other locales than Ft Wayne. The airport used to have more flights.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Interesting no one has mentioned the temptation to lower the price.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:01 AM

375 posts, read 912,904 times
I rented out my house so I didn't have to sell it at a huge loss -- you may wish to look into that option. I've kept it rented for the last 3 years, and rent something myself. Not the greatest option, but it is an option you can look into..... or rent it until you can sell it, or lease/purchase - I also agree that most people aren't looking to buy quite yet,but prob in the next month or so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues