Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:30 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times

Advertisements

And to those bringing up fatty foods in regards to obesity rates. Studies have shown the largest factor in high obesity rates is poverty.
The higher the poverty rate, the higher the obesity rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 06:24 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,768,504 times
I'm surprised Ohio wasn't anywhere in the Top 20 while New York is

Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
And to those bringing up fatty foods in regards to obesity rates. Studies have shown the largest factor in high obesity rates is poverty.
The higher the poverty rate, the higher the obesity rates.
Meant to say fried food not fatty food.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:44 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Well math was never my strongest subject haha

I get what you are saying though, I should of left population out of it. But yes a whole California is more healthy.
Haha fair enough.

But while California is much healthier than the states on the list it is still has too many obese people. The US as a whole has a major problem with it actually so I don't think of it as a Southern problem or an Eastern problem.

On the bright side the overall country usually does well in productivity surveys so some states having a slower more laid back lifestyle isn't necessary that bad. It just offers a little diversity.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:53 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Oh and my state is .2% difference from Cali in obesity rate and we are in the south. We are also lower than many northern states.

Why do you always bring this up and brag about it? You do realize that the majority of people who live in Florida are from the north? rofl

Old 07-29-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Why do you always bring this up and brag about it? You do realize that the majority of people who live in Florida are from the north? rofl
The reason I bring it up is because some people make blanket statements like "people in the south are obese" or "everyone in the south eats fried foods".

And it was not bragging, it was comparing Florida to California which had been mentioned earlier.

And I won't bother to ask you to show proof that the majority of the people in Florida are from up north since I know you have absolutely no proof since it is untrue.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:39 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Genes. Nobody has even mentioned what role genes plays in your weight. Nothing is going to change that one. I am 102 lbs. My Dad was 140 lbs. My Grandma was 90 lbs. Genes. My family lived in and died in NY. I now live in Florida. It makes no difference at all. My genes haven't changed because of where I live. I eat exactly the same now as I did there. I do my own cooking and can make whatever I want to, but if I feel like eating a Big Mac, I DO.

Another thing nobody has mentioned. Yes, I am sure exercise/physical activity can help to lose weight, but as most people know, when you are excercising, etc, you don't get hungry, as you do when you sit and do nothing. Couch potatoes? I don't go to a gym or do any outside leisure activities, but I have a very physical job working with special needs kids, lifting, pushing wheelchairs, etc. I just don't feel hungry most of the time. My husband has said when he plays 18 holes of golf, he doesn't feel much like eating after. I am sure heat plays a factor also. When it's very hot ouside, and I have to be outside with the kids, all I want to do is drink a lot of WATER, not eat.

The state where I live has made no difference whatsoever.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:31 AM

767 posts, read 2,292,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The state where I live has made no difference whatsoever.
Sure glad to hear that. I moved recently from Mississipi to Georgia and I was afraid I would lose weight.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:56 PM

97 posts, read 260,541 times
Louisiana - hahahahahaha - gotta send this to mommy

Old 07-29-2010, 04:55 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Of course Missouri is on there! There's NOTHING to do here...
Idiot post of the week, I'm embarrassed that we're from the same state.
Theres stuff to do all over Missouri, funny how I found plenty to do there at your age.
And out in the middle of nowhere, no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.