Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 04:28 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
actually there are people (even blacks) born and raised in the deep south that sound a lot like spade. i don't know why people have this idea that everybody in this region has a super strong drawl. i've met people from the middle of georgia that had very mild accents
While true, it is not the norm.
This is what you will hear from the majority of blacks in East Texas.

YouTube - Mista Rags Just touched down in Tyler Tx

And this is Mississippi

YouTube - Big K.R.I.T. Interview with iHipHop
These are the norms in both these regions. I do not sound even close to this. In fact, I will make another video. I think I agree with eek on my accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 04:38 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
While true, it is not the norm.
This is what you will hear from the majority of blacks in East Texas.

YouTube - Mista Rags Just touched down in Tyler Tx

And this is Mississippi

YouTube - Big K.R.I.T. Interview with iHipHop
These are the norms in both these regions. I do not sound even close to this. In fact, I will make another video. I think I agree with eek on my accent.
hmmm, actually in my experience, many blacks in east texas sound like adrian peterson

and just as many blacks in the southeast sound like him. my only point is that not all and probably not even most blacks from the deep south have that extremely strong drawl

Old 09-14-2010, 04:42 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
you have what sounds kind of like a new york/new jersey accent, very mild though

thanks i suppose. i think you might feel that way because its very light.

hmmm. i really dont think thats the case. honestly i think i have the smallest amount of southern accent possible for it to even be noticeable (which i didnt even think it really was). i kind of thought id get a mix of general american/southern accent responses.
Coming from a Texan, I think you have a discernable Southern accent. I wouldn't call it thick, but it's not light either.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
hmmm, actually in my experience, many blacks in east texas sound like adrian peterson

and just as many blacks in the southeast sound like him. my only point is that not all and probably not even most blacks from the deep south have that extremely strong drawl
Actually, from my experience, many blacks in East Texas sound like Dez Bryant.

YouTube - Raw interview with Oklahoma State & Dallas Cowboys Dez Bryant

Old 09-14-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Actually, from my experience, many blacks in East Texas sound like Dez Bryant.

YouTube - Raw interview with Oklahoma State & Dallas Cowboys Dez Bryant
he sounds like you lol. i have to admit though, you sounded a lot more southern than i thought you would have being up north for so long.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
he sounds like you lol.
lmao..no he doesn't. he sounds words far different than me. Maybe the deepness of our voice is similar but that's about it.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
lmao..no he doesn't. he sounds words far different than me. Maybe the deepness of our voice is similar but that's about it.
i was kidding man

Old 09-14-2010, 05:58 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
Quote:
you have what sounds kind of like a new york/new jersey accent, very mild though

thanks i suppose. i think you might feel that way because its very light.

hmmm. i really dont think thats the case. honestly i think i have the smallest amount of southern accent possible for it to even be noticeable (which i didnt even think it really was). i kind of thought id get a mix of general american/southern accent responses.
I think you have a thick Southern accent. If you came to Memphis, people would think you sound country. No offense

Old 09-14-2010, 06:13 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,851 times
Quote:
no offense to va7cities, but he does NOT sound southern. hardly. he sounds like percy harvin. if he were to speak to people down south, i'm sure most would likely guess somewhere in the east coast before they would guess the south. because he doesn't sound like us, he sounds like he's from virginia
Quote:
as far as your accent goes, i'm sorry but i just heard way more east coast than i heard south .... what stuck out the most was the way you pronounced "water". many of those words you pronounced very similar to the way my aunt who is from new york would.
definitely have to agree. the word that stuck out most to me was "tour", that sounded VERY new yorkish. but his pronunciation of finger (fanguh) sounded southern, or at least chicagoan.

but he doesnt sound like percy harvin at all. percy harvin actually sounds southern. at least in this clip he does. very comparable to darren mcfadden

interesting enough, the people in this clip are supposedly from NC, but the guy pronounced "daughter" in a kind of new yorkish way too at 5:28, and they kind of sound like northern black dialect.

it seems to me that a lot of black people in the urban south talk similarly to blacks in chicago, st louis, etc. and dont really have much drawls. i know that mygdell and scott summers sounded to me like they were from the urban midwest/west, despite being southerners. so i think it can kind of vary person to person when you are in the southern cities. the first woman in that clip doesnt sound southern at all (at 1:29), but is from durham, nc

Old 09-14-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
but he doesnt sound like percy harvin at all. percy harvin actually sounds southern. at least in this clip he does. very comparable to darren mcfadden
well i don't think so. percy still sounded very east coast in that video, but mcfadden sounds more southern than me and he's from little rock

Quote:
interesting enough, the people in this clip are supposedly from NC, but the guy pronounced "daughter" in a kind of new yorkish way too at 5:28, and they kind of sound like northern black dialect.

it seems to me that a lot of black people in the urban south talk similarly to blacks in chicago, st louis, etc. and dont really have much drawls. i know that mygdell and scott summers sounded to me like they were from the urban midwest/west, despite being southerners. so i think it can kind of vary person to person when you are in the southern cities.
it definitely varies, but i disagree with blacks in the urban south sounding like chicago or st louis. blacks in houston, dallas, and atlanta with accents sound very southern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.