Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 05:04 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,034,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
kentucky can most definitely be grouped in with the eastern midwest. even the accents are very similar.
You're saying with a straight face that Kentucky should be grouped with Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio rather than Tennessee? I've seen it all on this site now.

You've obviously never been to any of these states.
Quote:
blacks in louisville sound VERY similar to blacks in st. louis. and they even have similar cultures in cincinnati, indianapolis, etc.
I also disagree with this. For example, in Indianapolis, blacks are much more integrated into the general population. The same cannot be said of St. Louis, Cincinnati, or Louisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 05:26 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,854,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
You're saying with a straight face that Kentucky should be grouped with Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio rather than Tennessee? I've seen it all on this site now.

You've obviously never been to any of these states.
connecticut is a part of new england but it has more in common with eastern new york than upper maine.

and i guess i have to suggest that you've never been down here if you think that louisville and lexington are culturally more like memphis and nashville than they are like st. louis or cincinnati. i used to live in memphis btw

Last edited by AlGreen; 09-15-2010 at 05:40 PM..

Old 09-15-2010, 05:39 PM

I mean, what exactly is everyone here trying to accomplish? to get me to just say that kentucky and virginia are the south? even though i know deep down i don't feel that way? believe it or not, i actually grew up thinking kentucky was the south, until i visited. as for virginia, i've always been under the impression that it wasn't really southern, and my personal experiences there only confirmed that.

but hey, if it's what everyone here wants, kentucky and virginia are the south.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,241,213 times
How about ya'll forget that BS argument and stick to the OT. This is a good thread and it doesn't need to be closed.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:21 PM

871 posts, read 2,250,111 times
Quote:
show me where i said there was no similarity between the way those two men were speaking? you can't because i didn't. i've already acknowledged that there are southern attributes about states like kentucky and virginia (to include some of the accents)
they are more than attributes, they are the dominant culture.
Quote:
and the midwest does not just have one accent. i'm not talking about upper midwest. blacks in louisville sound VERY similar to blacks in st. louis. and they even have similar cultures in cincinnati, indianapolis, etc.
first off, why all of a sudden are we just comparing how blacks talk? white dialect in kentucky (which is the majority) is identical to tennessee damn near. plus, as youve already gotten to see, its even very similar to white mississippi dialect (the dentistry clip)

you said earlier that you thought that blacks in ohio sound very southern (more southern than you). plus, black people in the US come from the south, obviously the culture will be similar regardless. what exactly about louisvilles black culture is so similar to saint louis but not other southern cities. and that being said, why the hell would you judge the whole state off of louisville, which is on the outer edge of the state on its northern border?

and even saying all of that, i think that while all black dialects (besides new york ones) have some element of "southern" to them, louisvilles black dialect DOES sound more southern than those of the midwest, and the rest of the states black dialect definitely does. here are a few examples of lousiville black speech:

listen to how skinny deville says "big thangs" or how rajon says basketbawl, generally northern blacks will not pronounce it that way. both of them sound pretty country.

as far as the black culture of louisville, in addition to the usual cultural heritage that all blacks share, kentucky's hip hop scene is considered to be "southern rap" (whatever thats worth). but really, black culture is tied to the south, and kentucky black identify with that.

and the white culture of the state is very southern too (at least upland southern), whether we are talking about the accents (which sure as hell dont sound like ohio. seriously go to columbus then come to kentucky. and then go to tennessee or mississippi. hell youve already heard examples of it), the food, the religion, the music, pretty much everything that has to do with culture, especially when you get out of louisville and into the country, its southern.

so im sorry, youre just wrong. youre speaking about a place you dont know too much about. louisville isnt the whole state, and you really havent evaluated louisville to well.

and i think youre wrong on VA too, at least inland VA, but thats another rant.

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 09-15-2010 at 06:31 PM..

Old 09-15-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
How about ya'll forget that BS argument and stick to the OT. This is a good thread and it doesn't need to be closed.
fine with me

Old 09-15-2010, 07:03 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,057,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Exactly. We got a couple of new videos.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:07 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,979,713 times
Virginia's an odd case that all in all belongs in the south imo. Obviously the Eastern Half isnt as southern as most other Southern states...I think the Richmond, Norfolk, VA Beach area is clearly mid atlantic..but the Central and Western portions of Virginia have a strong mix between a plantation south accent and an appalachian accent.

But the whites sound undeniably southern in that portion of the state. The blacks in Western and Central VA are peculiar sounding imo..They actually pronounce their words in a way that sounds pretty similar to southern blacks, except that they tend to not have any discernible drawl whatsoever, and they talk much quicker than blacks in the Central south of Arkansas, Texas, Western Tennessee, Louisiana or Mississippi. Its weird...I'd say that Virginia has a combination of different accents..but the blacks have more of a neutral southern accent type thing going on.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Here is my accent:

YouTube - Accent
You sound nuetral to me.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerTech12 View Post
Hello:

I am just wondering what kind of accent do I have?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDOA9wHU8ZQ
I can't tell yours. Maybe northeastern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.