Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 12:37 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
If Kentucky and Virginia aren't the South, then what are they? I sure hope you aren't trying to lump them in with the Midwest.
he doesnt even consider the majority of north carolina, tennessee and arkansas as south. so basically nashville on up to minneapolis, all north
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 01:53 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Wow. Arkansas, Kentucky and Tennessee have far more in common with Mississippi and Georgia than they do with Minnesota. Why is this even a debate?

Old 09-15-2010, 01:56 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
basically this thread is a spinoff of this thread:
Do I have a Southern accent?

i'll start it off.

YouTube - Post your accent

hopefully a lot of us on CD will post our accents and we'll "have fun" listening to ppl from various states while getting to hear the voices behind the screen names.

Wow that is crazy... Many people are saying that you have a NY accent but I don't notice it lol. Maybe it's because im from NYC, but yeah I kinda do hear it. I noticed that people from NY got an accent until I was living in VA Beach.

Last edited by nycricanpapi; 09-15-2010 at 02:24 PM..

Old 09-15-2010, 02:38 PM

5 posts, read 6,842 times
Hello:

I am just wondering what kind of accent do I have?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDOA9wHU8ZQ

Old 09-15-2010, 02:38 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
it definitely sounds uniquely virginia. but its sounds NOTHING AT ALL like pennsylvania and ohio, because he pronounces his vowels southern-like. the unique parts (that make this different from other southern accents) are not found in any other states, especially not in northern ones.
have you ever heard steve harvey talk? he's from ohio and he sounds more southern than me. many other ohioans talk like him. are they the south as well?

i've never denied virginia's southern history and attributes, but considering my personal experiences and the way i see it, i just can't bring myself to include it in today's south. it will always be debated, and i'm very comfortable being on this side of the argument

Quote:
If Kentucky and Virginia aren't the South, then what are they? I sure hope you aren't trying to lump them in with the Midwest.
kentucky can most definitely be grouped in with the eastern midwest. even the accents are very similar. virginia is whatever maryland, west virginia, d.c., and delaware are

Old 09-15-2010, 02:41 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
have you ever heard steve harvey talk? he's from ohio and he sounds more southern than me. many other ohioans talk like him. are they the south as well?
steve harvey is from southern west virginia, along the virginia border. but black ohioans pretty much all came from the south, naturally some of them (especially the older ones) could sound southern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i've never denied virginia's southern history and attributes, but considering my personal experiences and the way i see it, i just can't bring myself to include it in today's south. it will always be debated, and i'm very comfortable being on this side of the argument

kentucky can most definitely be grouped in with the eastern midwest. the accents are very similar. virginia is whatever maryland, west virginia, d.c., and delaware are
are you kidding me??? seriously, did you even listen to those clips i showed? honestly, you are just TRYING not to listen, because i dont see how you cant see the similarities between the accents in the dentistry clip and the fishing one. you will never hear anyone in the midwest talk that way. are you serious???

the accents in the midwest are nothing like kentucky. kentucky and tennessee dialects are nearly identical, and they are very similar to those of mississippi, and about as different from those of the midwest as two types of american accents can be. listen to the clips, are you deaf or something??

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 09-15-2010 at 02:51 PM..

Old 09-15-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I am from the South and have lived up North for over 7 years now. It seems to me that you're not comfortable recognizing the Upper South (North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky) as part of the South; it seems you're saying that only the Deep South is undeniably Southern.
Quote:
he doesnt even consider the majority of north carolina, tennessee and arkansas as south. so basically nashville on up to minneapolis, all north
Quote:
Wow. Arkansas, Kentucky and Tennessee have far more in common with Mississippi and Georgia than they do with Minnesota. Why is this even a debate?
i think you guys misread what i was trying to say earlier. all i was pointing out is that those 5 deep south states are the only ones that EVERYBODY can agree are southern, but all other states are usually debated to some degree

Old 09-15-2010, 04:00 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
AlGreen, you really can't hear the difference between a Minnesota and a Kentucky accent?! However, you can hear the difference between a Kentucky and Georgia accent?!

I don't think you've ever been to the Midwest. Judging by your comments, I don't think you've ever been north of Nashville. Come up to Minnesota, and you'll see it is nothing like Kentucky. Drive I-80 across the Midwest from Rapid City, SD to Cleveland, OH and see those places, and then go to Kentucky and Virginia. There is an obvious difference.

Kentucky is NOT the Midwest!!! If anything, southern Ohio, Indiana and Illinois are part of the South.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
steve harvey is from southern west virginia, along the virginia border. but black ohioans pretty much all came from the south, naturally some of them (especially the older ones) could sound southern.
he was born in west virginia. he was raised in ohio

Quote:
are you kidding me??? seriously, did you even listen to those clips i showed? honestly, you are just TRYING not to listen, because i dont see how you cant see the similarities between the accents in the dentistry clip and the fishing one. you will never hear anyone in the midwest talk that way. are you serious???

the accents in the midwest are nothing like kentucky. kentucky and tennessee dialects are nearly identical, and they are very similar to those of mississippi, and about as different from those of the midwest as two types of american accents can be. listen to the clips, are you deaf or something??
show me where i said there was no similarity between the way those two men were speaking? you can't because i didn't. i've already acknowledged that there are southern attributes about states like kentucky and virginia (to include some of the accents)

and the midwest does not just have one accent. i'm not talking about upper midwest. blacks in louisville sound VERY similar to blacks in st. louis. and they even have similar cultures in cincinnati, indianapolis, etc.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
AlGreen, you really can't hear the difference between a Minnesota and a Kentucky accent?! However, you can hear the difference between a Kentucky and Georgia accent?!

I don't think you've ever been to the Midwest. Judging by your comments, I don't think you've ever been north of Nashville. Come up to Minnesota, and you'll see it is nothing like Kentucky. Drive I-80 across the Midwest from Rapid City, SD to Cleveland, OH and see those places, and then go to Kentucky and Virginia. There is an obvious difference.

Kentucky is NOT the Midwest!!! If anything, southern Ohio, Indiana and Illinois are part of the South.
you don't know your own region that well, genius. minnesota, michigan, ohio, missouri, indiana, etc. these are all midwestern states with their own cultures and accents. not once did i suggest that kentucky was comparable to the upper midwest. IT IS VERY comparable to the eastern and lower parts of the midwest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.