Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 06:53 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times

Advertisements

California myths

"All 37 million of us are liberals"
"The whole state is going to fall into the ocean"
"The whole state is full of sinners"
"The whole state is crime ridden"
"the whole state minus San Francisco is a dump"
"the whole state is on welfare"
"The Southern half is stupid, uncultured and ugly"

People love to hate California and say stupid ignorant just down right untrue statements and really need a good a$$ kicking and to shut their closeminded, bigotted mouths. oh and need to stop being so snobby about San Francisco acting like it's the only city in California.

GROW UP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 10:55 PM

144 posts, read 270,621 times
I'm in Alabama now and people ask me if any of my family members were ever in the KKK.
I get the ever so clever Jerry Springer type jokes too. (I think the audience members tend to be lower class than the "real guests" they have.) Also people ask if we have airports, own a pair of shoes, you know, the typical stuff that applies to the southern states.

For Huntsville: People have told me that they are shocked something as nice as this city would be in this state. I don't know if that's a compliment or a slap in the face. It's true there are plenty of people from elsewhere in the Huntsville area, but the natives' contributions to the quality of life seem to go unnoticed. People think it's "decent" just because of the transplants.

I was born in Georgia and pretty much experience the same thing in Alabama.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:31 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
For some reason people think that New Orleans is this Cajun city, with accordion playing Cajuns, and known for it's Cajun cuisine. There are few Cajun families in this part of the state and I can only name one Cajun restaurant off the top of my head in the entire city. New Orleans is Creole while Cajuns live on the opposite side of the state. People also think that N.O. is French, but it's mostly Spanish.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:44 AM

614 posts, read 1,764,509 times
Arizona: Arizona is all hot, ugly, flat boring desert, with millions of illegal immigrants running around.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
People assume that NC is run by the Republicans. It isn't.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:36 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
Arizona: Arizona is all hot, ugly, flat boring desert, with millions of illegal immigrants running around.
Is that the misconception? lol

Old 10-02-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
I don't think the illegal thing is, but the rest is. Arizona has mountains like Flagstaff, Sedona, Kingman, and Presscott. Some of these areas recieve snow and are mild all year.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:21 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
California myths

"All 37 million of us are liberals"
"The whole state is going to fall into the ocean"
"The whole state is full of sinners"
"The whole state is crime ridden"
"the whole state minus San Francisco is a dump"
"the whole state is on welfare"
"The Southern half is stupid, uncultured and ugly"
The first two may be. The second one actually is not too far off of what could potentially happen though. The rest are things i have never heard people say. For many, quite the oposite. For example, some people think all Californians are rich.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
The first two may be. The second one actually is not too far off of what could potentially happen though. The rest are things i have never heard people say. For many, quite the oposite. For example, some people think all Californians are rich.

you make no sense. Not all 37 million of us are liberals despite what bible thumping, bigots claim.

If you knew anything about earthquake faults, you'd know we can't fall into the ocean. We would just become an island in thousands of years.

Most of the stereotypes of California are negative (e.g. fake, stuck up, etc)

Old 10-02-2010, 08:43 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
The last part is somewhat true but Arizona truly is not all flat boring desert, and the parts of the state that are desert imo are beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.