Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:17 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
liberals do the same thing too though. Goes both ways

No, I have never once heard any liberal wish that the whole midwest would get sucked up by tornados.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 12:54 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
No, I have never once heard any liberal wish that the whole midwest would get sucked up by tornados.
I was talking about the ignorance, hypocrisy, etc.

Plus, i actually have literally heard a liberal say nearly the same thing you just said.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:20 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Myths about New York state:

1. It's all so urban.

Completely untrue. NY state is exceptionally rural. Especially in the Appalachia and Adirondack regions. It's a farm heavy state with Amish presence even. It may have an enormous population, but it's mostly concentrated in the major urban sectors. Like clusters.

New York state contains a drastic variety of cultures. From the southern tier, the Ontario lowland and valleys, the New York City metro area to the Adirondacks and north country, New York changes completely by region. Accents, personalities, food, culture, race and wealth. All change as if you are entering totally different states.
This is so true, and not long ago I was kind of shocked when someone on C-D mentioned that they thought that all of NYS was heavily populated. I think something like 40% of the entire population lives in the NY metro area. That leaves a heck of a lot of open space.

I love upstate. It's beautiful. (I am from NJ, originally from about 10 miles south of the Rockland County line). I am not much for the south or Florida, and I hope to retire somewhere up there.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:42 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is so true, and not long ago I was kind of shocked when someone on C-D mentioned that they thought that all of NYS was heavily populated. I think something like 40% of the entire population lives in the NY metro area. That leaves a heck of a lot of open space.

I love upstate. It's beautiful. (I am from NJ, originally from about 10 miles south of the Rockland County line). I am not much for the south or Florida, and I hope to retire somewhere up there.

I miss it very much.

Had to move for financial reasons though.

I grew up in the hills of the southern tier. When I moved to Watkins Glen I thought it was HUGE! It was only 1000 people or so then.

I would suggest retiring in the Adirondacks if you like mountains and don't mind bitter winters. It's unbelievable up there. Looks like smaller Rockies.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I was talking about the ignorance, hypocrisy, etc.

Plus, i actually have literally heard a liberal say nearly the same thing you just said.
I've never seen such things but what I have seen is right wing "christians" constantly bashing California and gays. It's sad that people can wish death on millions of innocent men women and children. Don't believe me? Read the comments in these articles...

San Andreas fault capable of magnitude 8.1 earthquake over 340-mile swath of California, researchers say [Updated] | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Earthquake experts see the "Big One" getting bigger - latimes.com

Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
You should know that 99.99999999% of news story commenters are complete imbeciles. Most are probably just bored kids trolling for a reaction.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
I've never seen such things but what I have seen is right wing "christians" constantly bashing California and gays. It's sad that people can wish death on millions of innocent men women and children. Don't believe me? Read the comments in these articles...

San Andreas fault capable of magnitude 8.1 earthquake over 340-mile swath of California, researchers say [Updated] | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Earthquake experts see the "Big One" getting bigger - latimes.com
oh. the horror. Yawn.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
oh. the horror. Yawn.
Your cool.

NOT

Old 10-11-2010, 08:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Many people think that the Missouri Ozarks is full of toothless hillbillys. In fact, they make up only about 65 percent of the population.

The other 35 percent are people who have moved here from someplace else.

20yrsinBranson
originally from someplace else.

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 10-11-2010 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: correct my math

Old 10-11-2010, 08:18 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
The people in Seattle are NOT hostile to making friends. They're just "proper" about it - joining clubs, outdoors activities, and other events of similarly minded folk. Music festivals too to an extent. NOT random on the street (took this Midwesterner time to get used to that).

Seattle does NOT rain all year long. IMHO, its summers cannot be beat. It's the winters you need to loathe - THAT is when it rains nonstop almost. At least it doesn't snow ... usually. ANd unless you live in the foothills or passes.

Seattle is liberal, but it is not as liberal as people think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.