Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 10:56 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
This thread is not just regarding NYC statistics. It is the General US forum.
yea but it isnt regarding Chicago,s statistics neither so i was just pointing out that it varies depending on location.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:50 AM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Chicago is 33% Black(2009 ACS estimates). 79% of the murder victims being Black is ugly, especially when the city is not even majority Black. You make somewhat of a good point that crime is primarily a youth problem, but that argument falls short considering Chicago also has a large young Hispanic population. Of the 409,000 students enrolled in the Chicago public school district, Hispanics make up 41% of the student population. While there are gangs and poverty in Chicago's Latino community too, there is more of sense of a family. The unemployment among Hispanics is not as high as Blacks and there are less single mother or parent households in their community. Sociologist say poverty breeds crime. While that maybe is true, the root of the problem is deeper than that.
This is a good example of comparing different struggles. Keep in mind that most Hispanics come to the country or have a better opportunity to come with families intact. Most Hispanic immigrants have come in more recent years in larger volume and don't have the long history of things like redlining, steering, etc. like Blacks do. That in turn has caused a segregation in terms of race and economics.

Also, many employees might favor Hispanic workers due to working for lower wages and other factors that might cost employers less money.

I don't know about the lack of community, but there are things that are evident that there is some strong sense of community there and in other Black communities.

BTW-Can't forget Country Club Hills, parts of the South Side and some other Southern and Western suburbs that are highly or mostly Black that are fine.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:52 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
that must be a chicago thing, because the bronx is majority latino and i remember a couple years back my teachers saying it was almost 90 percent single parent homes.

i don't know how Chicago is but here in NYC puerto ricans are the largest Hispanic ethnic group and have a huge crisis with single parent homes just like African Americans.

but in NYC Caribbean and African blacks who are integrated in the black community have a great sense of family. you will not find many single parent homes from them.
Mexicans outnumber Ricans in Chicago by a large gap, 570k compare to 107k. In comparison to the poor/working class Black neighborhoods, gangs are prevalent in Chicago's working class majority Mexican hoods on the Lower west/Southwest side too. For instance, The Little Village neighborhood is gang infested with the Latin Kings and Gangster Two-Six going at it from time to time, but on the same note its not blighted. There are very few vacant lots/boarded houses and the neighborhood is loaded with Mexican themed stores, street vendors, and banks. The most gritty part about the area are the gang taggings. 26th St.(the heart of Little Village) is believed to generate the 2nd highest revenue in the city after Michigan Avenue.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-15-2010 at 12:36 PM..

Old 10-17-2010, 01:25 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexas1 View Post
I grew up in South Park and I had neighbors that could have lived in upper-middle class Memorial but they liked living in South Park. That may seem crazy to some of the wealthy Houstonians, but it wasn't to my neighbors.
It's the same way for some of my family members, who have advanced degrees and are making 6 figure incomes to qualify for upper-middle class/upper class status but some of them won't leave my old 'hood or other Northside inner-city 'hoods because in their words "they love the hood".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Mainstream, inner-city black culture glorifies the ghetto and the ghetto lifestyle. Black people, especially black men, from the inner city who try to make something of themselves and improve their situation get ridiculed for "acting white." The black community does not value fatherhood: the majority of black kids today don't have dads around. Many blacks look up to "gangsta" rappers, drug dealers, gang members and the like. A black person participating in anything outside of the narrow black cultural window (dress, music, relationships, college major, location, etc.) is said to "act white." Blacks who try to leave the ghetto and move to a nicer area are ridiculed by their peers for "selling out" or "joining the 'white man.'"
For the most part, this is true. It's acceptable for black women to make something of themselves but when a black person living in the inner-city is about something, he will get clowned. "Oh you're acting white" "you're a disgrace to the black race" Yea, being shot 9 times, hustling on the block and jackin' is something everyone should aspire to

Old 10-17-2010, 01:40 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Ghetto-licious

Old 10-17-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
It's the same way for some of my family members, who have advanced degrees and are making 6 figure incomes to qualify for upper-middle class/upper class status but some of them won't leave my old 'hood or other Northside inner-city 'hoods because in their words "they love the hood".

For the most part, this is true. It's acceptable for black women to make something of themselves but when a black person living in the inner-city is about something, he will get clowned. "Oh you're acting white" "you're a disgrace to the black race" Yea, being shot 9 times, hustling on the block and jackin' is something everyone should aspire to
you are very strange and probably live in a strange town.

most blacks will not call you a uncle tom for achieving a education and moving out of the ghetto.

where do you people get this stuff from? do you really sit and watch ghetto movies all day long???

its crazy how people in this country will believe everything in the media. anyone who lives in the ghetto knows that it is great happiness and joy when a young black males moves on up and leaves the ghetto.

a real uncle tom would be someone like kazoopilot who claims he is black but denounces everything about black culture.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:27 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Quote:

most blacks will not call you a uncle tom for achieving a education and moving out of the ghetto.

where do you people get this stuff from? do you really sit and watch ghetto movies all day long???

its crazy how people in this country will believe everything in the media. anyone who lives in the ghetto knows that it is great happiness and joy when a young black males moves on up and leaves the ghetto.

a real uncle tom would be someone like kazoopilot who claims he is black but denounces everything about black culture.
First off, ghetto movies have nothing to do with this and I don't really watch 'hood films because to me they don't have any substance to them other than the usual growing up on the block and slinging dope to survive. Yes, most blacks that live in the hood celebrate when another young black dude moves up and leaves the ghetto but that doesn't change the fact that there are SOME that WILL ridicule you for making something of yourself. It's the classic case of not wanting anyone to do better than you.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:03 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:

I looked up the term "Uncle Tom". In the book "Uncle Tom's Cabin",Uncle Tom was the person who would take a beating in the place of another slave. He may have worked in the "Big House", but he refused to beat another slave. He took the beating for a slave. Sambo was the person who would rat on people. Sambo beat Uncle Tom.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
First off, ghetto movies have nothing to do with this and I don't really watch 'hood films because to me they don't have any substance to them other than the usual growing up on the block and slinging dope to survive. Yes, most blacks that live in the hood celebrate when another young black dude moves up and leaves the ghetto but that doesn't change the fact that there are SOME that WILL ridicule you for making something of yourself. It's the classic case of not wanting anyone to do better than you.
well their you go. you said "some" their is "some" of everything in all races and cultures that can make someone puke. but the way you wrote it up their i thought you were generalizing .excuse my error.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I looked up the term "Uncle Tom". In the book "Uncle Tom's Cabin",Uncle Tom was the person who would take a beating in the place of another slave. He may have worked in the "Big House", but he refused to beat another slave. He took the beating for a slave. Sambo was the person who would rat on people. Sambo beat Uncle Tom.
i guess in those times. but as far as i know a uncle tom in today's world is someone who has self hatred and roots on and rolls with the so called "oppressor" race.

im not quick to call anyone a uncle tom. everyone should be free to like what they like and hang with who ever they choose to, and everyone should aim for success rather then be a failure.

i just cant stand some people who denounce their own people to cheer for others. you can cheer all you want but at the end of the day you look very dumb denouncing the people that look just like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.