Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:10 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times

Advertisements

Never hear it here in Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:17 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
This is HUGE in Maryland. Coming from South Jersey, I was so confused my freshman year of college when everyone kept asking me that, instead of "What town are you from?" I think it's probably because people from Maryland oftentimes tend to identify with their county, and high school sending zones cross town lines. Most places that people call "towns" aren't even incorporated.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:23 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I hear "where'd you go to school" constantly in Chicago - but it's always in regards to what college did you go to. I've never heard anyone ask about high schools.

It's probably because it's a transient place, and at least on the north side of the city most people are all young professionals who came from elsewhere.

I feel bad because I have a friend who didn't go to college, but every single time we're out everyone is always "oh, so where'd you go to school?". So you hear the "Illinois", "Michigan", "oh really! I went to Michigan too, when did you gradute" "Ohio State", etc. Then my friend says "Oakton" because he took one class up there and then dropped out. He still thinks of things in reference to high school, but he's embarassed to list his high school. Of course no one is really trying to judge (most of us are Big 10 anyway - not like we're snotty trying to judge which ivy league we went to) or wanted to make him feel bad - people just get in a frame of mind that everyone must have gone to a university.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:48 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Has to be a small town thing and an age thing... I never get asked that here, not even where you went to school unless somebody happens to be wearing a shirt from their alma mater... It's generally what do you do, who do you work for...Most of my friends/colleagues are at least over 30 though.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:06 PM

976 posts, read 2,243,434 times
^not necessarily. it's a common question in both st. louis and philadelphia.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:27 PM

572 posts, read 1,995,718 times
I think it depends on where you live and where you go for entertainment in any city.
If you live in the central urban 'hip' areas, the question doesn't work because there will be a lot of people who live there but where not born or raised in that particular metro.
If you live in the more standard average city neighborhoods or suburbs, the question is simply asking, 'perhaps we know some of the same people'. And there is nothing wrong with that. It shows stability and ties to the family and area where you live.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:09 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,789 times
In New Orleans, people don't ask where you went to high school; they ask where you went to school. If you're not a native, you probably answer with the college you attended, if you're a local, you know they're asking where you went to high school.

It's a social class kinda thing, with all the parochial schools in New Orleans. If you're a guy and you went to Jesuit or Holy Cross, you're pegged immediately, and alumni look out for each other. If you went to one of the lesser parochial boy's high schools, there's less of a fraternnity. Same for the girls of Sacred Heart, Dominican, Cabrini, Xavier Prep, etc. If you attended public schools you're in a whole other category.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:22 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
I think it depends on where you live and where you go for entertainment in any city.
If you live in the central urban 'hip' areas, the question doesn't work because there will be a lot of people who live there but where not born or raised in that particular metro.
If you live in the more standard average city neighborhoods or suburbs, the question is simply asking, 'perhaps we know some of the same people'. And there is nothing wrong with that. It shows stability and ties to the family and area where you live.
I've been to the so called "hip" areas of St. Louis. I'm freak'n 50 years old and I would get asked the question.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:38 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Usually when I'm out of town, people know I'm not from around there. I met an old couple in FL (who was also from NJ) and they asked where we were from, and when I told them "Jersey"- The women said "I knew it"

But yea it was always "What HS did you go to?" around here.
It's a Jersey Thing...according to South Park.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:18 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,797 times
I've never had anyone ask me that question that I can recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.