Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:26 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,055 times

Advertisements

The state of Delaware may offer what you are looking for:

Delaware Retirement | Retirement in Delaware | Retirement Beach | Rehoboth Bethany Beach | Best Place to Retire | Retire in Delaware
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 10:18 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
The town of Lewes is so charming.

Welcome to Lewes.com | Lewes.com

Old 11-04-2010, 11:40 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
...only problem is that upstate NY is FREAKIN' COLD. I actually lived in Massachusetts for a few years and after that, there's no way I could live with those types of winters again.
It can be for a part of the year the same way it can get very hot in the South or some areas out West. Snow is more of a problem than cold temps. I think that parts of the Midwest get colder.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:09 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
This has been amusing to read. The OP has made a decision to leave NY, is earnestly asking for advice on where to go and instead has received a treatise on why he shouldn't make such a decision. Like he said, thousands are making the same decision every month. Are they wrong, too?

Having said that, I'll link to a thread that I responded to that asks for towns in my home state that fit the OP's criteria.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/georg...e-georgia.html
I think it has to do with people making sure that others know that NY isn't monolithic as a state.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:17 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Please...help me find a nice place to move to when i retire in 6 1/2 yrs..ill be retired..wife hopefully can get a teaching job..

Want a family friendly atmosphere...with no crime..low taxes..just wanna be left alone...

any suggestions....???
Do you plan to travel back and forth to NY State to visit friends and relatives? If so, I suggest you look for a town in a state with I-95 going through it up and down the east coast.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:59 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think it has to do with people making sure that others know that NY isn't monolithic as a state.
This is probably correct. I remember on another thread that someone was surprised to learn that New York is not heavily populated outside of the NYC metro area and a few other cities. And in turn some of us were surprised to learn that someone actually thought that.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:30 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I do get that. I personally think upstate NY is a gem.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:42 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,792 times
Default ny

Actually...it is interesting that the 5 boros, long island, and wetshcter /rockland counties make up more then half of the population of NYS...

Old 06-24-2011, 04:43 PM

21 posts, read 61,826 times
Unhappy Don't move to NYS....

I know this forum is older but I've lived in NYS all of my life. I'm now 51 and cannot wait to leave this place. Yes taxes are a problem but that's just the tip of the iceberg. It has become a poor state. I live in Upstate NY, Queensbury, a small town north of Albany, NY. I've noticed in the past few years that things have gotten pretty bad. People are struggling to make ends meet. They have given up washing their clothes, grooming themselves, no hair cuts, no shaving, just grubby old beards and appearance. Many of them wear their pajamas out to shop and dine, and they are rude, disrespectful and generally unkept.They don't take pride in anything anymore. A lot of teens have multiple kids and many live off the system. We work while they stay home and make babies and get paid for it. They drive run down, rusty old vehicles and smoke like chimneys. We are tired of seeing this kind of life and want to move where people actually take pride in their surroundings and what they look like on a day to day basis. There are a lot of young people who are lazy and just don't give a damn. We're outta here to find a better life and a nice place to retire. Good luck if you move to this run down place........

Old 06-24-2011, 04:51 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happinow View Post
I know this forum is older but I've lived in NYS all of my life. I'm now 51 and cannot wait to leave this place. Yes taxes are a problem but that's just the tip of the iceberg. It has become a poor state. I live in Upstate NY, Queensbury, a small town north of Albany, NY. I've noticed in the past few years that things have gotten pretty bad. People are struggling to make ends meet. They have given up washing their clothes, grooming themselves, no hair cuts, no shaving, just grubby old beards and appearance. Many of them wear their pajamas out to shop and dine, and they are rude, disrespectful and generally unkept.They don't take pride in anything anymore. A lot of teens have multiple kids and many live off the system. We work while they stay home and make babies and get paid for it. They drive run down, rusty old vehicles and smoke like chimneys. We are tired of seeing this kind of life and want to move where people actually take pride in their surroundings and what they look like on a day to day basis. There are a lot of young people who are lazy and just don't give a damn. We're outta here to find a better life and a nice place to retire. Good luck if you move to this run down place........

Wow. Honestly I wish I could say you were wrong. But I can't.

What I CAN say is that not all of NY is in that condition. There are still places that are booming and thriving.

Syracuse area for one, seems to be doing just peachy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.