Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:48 AM

929 posts, read 1,903,665 times

Advertisements

coastal cali accent...even tho i'm from chapel hill, nc and reside in the maryland suburbs of dc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Rob Andrews is from Camden County, and has the accent to back it up.

"Sailth Jursey"
Rep. Sweeney is also from South Jersey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIKKHNcS-6c

Old 11-16-2010, 08:22 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Rep. Sweeney is also from South Jersey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIKKHNcS-6c
OMG totally.

Btw, that reporter frightens me.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:43 PM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 871,934 times
I have a weird varied accent. Most of my speech is standard Midwestern but I get poked fun at by a lot of ppl out here for my vowel sounds which are a bit east coast I got from family. My Latin side comes out on select words

Old 11-16-2010, 10:41 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
My accent is varied. I live in a transitional zone, here in my region of Arizona/New Mexico you pick up hints of Texan, with classic western accents. Not to mention just south of where I lived was settled by southerners following the Civil War. So I'd assume Western, with light touches of Texan and/or Southern.

To see what I'm getting at, look at the whole bubble around Silver City, it takes up my little region of Arizona.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:04 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
That is interesting how they cut up Florida... I would agree. I'd say my accent is pretty flat and grew up around a marked "general american" w/ no features.(Florida) I've actually been described as monotone accent by people that I think have strong accents.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:24 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
When I click on the map Desert kid provided, it enlarges to a good level. I noticed the area where I grew up in north-central West Virginia is right above the southern accent line, in the midland section to be precise. Also that region is in a transitional zone, which I think is very accurate. It's not quite southern, but it's not quite northern either. Very interesting patchwork of dialects in that region of the country. I currently live about 80 miles to the north outside of Pittsburgh, and the dialect up here is somewhat similar, but more northern, if that makes sense.

Also only one little part of West Virginia is in the Inland South region, which is the Williamson area. However, one other map showed the vast majority of the state as "Mountain Southern", which basically follows the Inland Southern on this map. The map above is more accurate in my opinion.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:02 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
Here's a typical southern West Virginia accent, Brad Dourif (in black), born & raised in Huntington, WV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DpPqhtOatI

Here's a typical Texas accent, John Hillerman, born & raised in Denison, TX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vRmDsVi13Y

Old 11-18-2010, 09:16 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Interesting map above. NJ is split into 3 accent zones, and I agree with it. There are 3 very different accents in NJ. And the vast, vast majority of people in NJ speak in a tone not even remotely close to anything you've heard on the Sopranos.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:50 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,710 times
Does the rest of the nation detect an accent in Californians?
I was born and raised in Ca and I don't "think" we have an accent, but I'd be curious to see of others detect a west/pacific coast accent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.