Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:59 PM

81 posts, read 238,586 times

Advertisements

I have traveled pretty much throughout the whole United States. I have observed behaviors and different tendencies of the residents of each state that I have resided.

However some states have huge problems with accepting and diversity. I have noticed a lot of overt racism in many of the states in the East, (Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Conn etc. I think the reason residents who reside in these states are like this because they tend to keep there dislike towards a minority group inside due to the fact that there is a strong minority presence in many of these state, like Philadelphia being predominantly black. It is sad because I would rather talk to a person who is racist in the south then a person in the east who says " I am not racist, I have many minority friends, and I also voted for our current commander in chief". Silent racists are the worst because they are in denial with themselves.

However in my opinion the state that take the cake for being the most "racist" in my opinion is Missouri followed by Arizona being a close second. The ignorance I saw when I visited and lived there amazed me. The state in my opinion that is the most open is Iowa which is a surprise, along with Wisconsin and Minnesota. You would think states where the majority of the population is Caucasian you would automatically assume that they would act like the residents in Missouri or Arizona, but it was the complete opposite. Just kindness, willingness to be open.

Finally in regards to integration and interracial relationships, I saw more of it in the south (Florida, Alabama, Georgia) which came as an even bigger surprise. I saw more interracial relationships during my time in the south than in the couples years I stayed at while I was living in the east. Schools are more integrated in the south as well. I did come across a few folks who displayed there ignorance but at least they were open about it and talked about it?

I guess what I dont understand is that are people living in East really open or is it because that since they probably reside near many minority groups they are scared to show there deep hatred? Why is there more segregation rather than integration in the East? Isn't it ironic that we always think of the South as a racist part of the USA, yet there is more integration in the workplace, schools, and relationships compared to the north. I dont think there is a such thing as white flight in the south. It feels like Caucasians in the north have this mentality "I like minority people, I just do not want them around or near me". Sad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 01:35 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
It goes back to the great migrations in the first half of 20th century. Prior to WWII the big cities of the East especially DC, Bmore, and Philly were predominantly white within their city limits. When the second world war kicked off many white men left their industrial jobs to go fight, so to fill the vacancies and help the war effort, President Eisenhower opened up government jobs to Black people in DC, and factories welcomed the cheap labor from the south. When the war ended and the white guys came home, they were surprised to see blacks from the south working their jobs and living in their neighborhoods. They didn't want thier kids going to school with black kids. Race riots ensued, which led to white flight, and the rise of suburbia. So race relations in the mid-atlantic are still bitter and full of resentment just under the surface because of that history.

My own family came up to DC from the Carolinas in the 30's then moved to Manyunk(Philly) in the 40's. Old folks in my family tell me how North Philly used to be nice and relativley safe, and how Germantown and Norristown used to be beautiful suburbs. The racism stems from the fact that white people feel like we(blacks) ruined there once worldly city, which isn't entirley false. I would assume that Baltimore, and DC have the same dynamic with their surrounding suburbs.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:41 AM

28 posts, read 82,649 times
I agree with the OP to a certain degree. I have to say that Iowa is the least racist or one of the least racist states I have ever lived in, we are 91% White but still quite tolerant. I have been to some small towns in the boondocks and I have never had that "you aint from around here" type of attitude. I like to say that our rednecks here are very "enlightened" compared to other parts of the country and interracial marriages here in Iowa are quite common.

I question the idea that the South is the most racist part of the country, especially travelling through some parts of Mississippi(considered by many, the most racist state in the country), in small town MS, you will have towns that are 50% Black, 50% White or even majority Black, and a lot of the cops, council members, mayors, public servants are Black.

I am not saying that there is no racism in MS, but it is a more open form of racism maybe? Whites usually don't leave small towns to go to another one, even when they are a minority, like they do in the "tolerant, educated, enlightened" cities in the NE

Old 09-12-2010, 09:09 AM

614 posts, read 1,764,938 times
You can't call the people in Arizona racist. Do you have daily problems with illegal immigrants, who form gangs, cause violence, steal, and trash the desert areas of the southern part of the state. If anything i would say the people of Arizona are kind in letting all these illegal immigrants destroy the state.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:59 AM

845 posts, read 2,831,328 times
[quote=iowacountryboy;15853974]I agree with the OP to a certain degree. I have to say that Iowa is the least racist or one of the least racist states I have ever lived in, we are 91% White but still quite tolerant.

More than 100 years ago, a college in IOWA was the only one that would admit the young Botanist, George Washington Carver as a student, after he was refused everywhere else.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:38 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Every place has problems with it, but the worst ones will surprise most. Not the biggest fan of the south, but more and more places in the south have fewer and fewer problems with race relations.
Missouri seems about average.
Don't know much about Arizona, but I wouldn't base its inclusiveness and diversity on its laws concerning illegal immigration. If they're truly a bunch of bigots, then there's a problem.
Illegal meaning against the laws of the land of course, federal included. Illegal meaning there is a legal way to immigrate and is our preferred way for immigration. Millions of our ancestors have done it legally and so can you!

Old 09-12-2010, 04:37 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
You can't call the people in Arizona racist. Do you have daily problems with illegal immigrants, who form gangs, cause violence, steal, and trash the desert areas of the southern part of the state. If anything i would say the people of Arizona are kind in letting all these illegal immigrants destroy the state.
Arizona's history of questionable race relations practices pre-date the current debate regarding immigration (I'm remembering the state making a huge fuss over observing MLK Day in, what year was that, 1990?!?!). And yes--I live in a state with a border with Mexico that is at least three times as long as Arizona's and we're doing just fine. I know Jan Brewer would like us to believe that decapitated bodies are lining the streets of Scottsdale, but I think we know better than that. I support increased border security 100%, but illegal immigration is several spots down the list of problems Arizona faces. Arizona's main problem is its economy and the residual effect of its overinflated real estate market. "Blame it on the Mexicans" is just the latest diversion from addressing the real economic problems that don't have such an easy solution.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:48 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I hate to say it, but I guess my home state of Arkansas comes out fairly high in racial-hate-crimes per capita and lynchings of blacks per-capita in that era.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Interestingly I think South Dakota came out highest on "racial hate crime" compared to population. Although this may only tell us about the fringes.

Of states with a sizable non-white population Louisiana and Mississippi seem to be pretty low in interracial marriage. Although Ohio is low too.

Interracial Marriage: Who and Where - Graphic - Pew Social & Demographic Trends

I believe cities in Michigan tend to come out about the most segregated. And although not a state I think I read Long Island in New York has about the most racially segregated settlement pattern in the nation.

Still it's a bit hard to determine what state is worse on these things as there's a degree of subjectivity to it.

Last edited by Yac; 10-18-2010 at 07:37 AM..

Old 09-12-2010, 08:04 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
I wonder if, as a white male, I decided I wanted to walk arm-in-arm with a black woman through the the streets of south central Chicago, the south central section of Los Angeles, or the south Bronx in New York City, justing minding my own business, how "inclusive" or open to "diversity" the fine, fine residents of those areas would be toward me.
Somehow, I bet most residents of Missouri or Arizona would compare rather favorably when it comes to the issue of tolerance.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:31 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I wonder if, as a white male, I decided I wanted to walk arm-in-arm with a black woman through the the streets of south central Chicago, the south central section of Los Angeles, or the south Bronx in New York City, justing minding my own business, how "inclusive" or open to "diversity" the fine, fine residents of those areas would be toward me.
Somehow, I bet most residents of Missouri or Arizona would compare rather favorably when it comes to the issue of tolerance.

Would you even walk are-in-arm with a black woman (ie--date, etc.)???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.