Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 05:07 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times

Advertisements

As I was glancing through the stats I noticed that the Richmond, VA metro has performed very well economically so far this century. Median household income gains appear to be very significant throughout the metro with only the city core being the laggard. What are the significant sources of the employment gains in the metro? Corporate growth, or small business growth?

It doesn't seem to get much recognition or noterity for doing so well...

Any locals from the area want to chime in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 06:29 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
As I was glancing through the stats I noticed that the Richmond, VA metro has performed very well economically so far this century. Median household income gains appear to be very significant throughout the metro with only the city core being the laggard. What are the significant sources of the employment gains in the metro? Corporate growth, or small business growth?

It doesn't seem to get much recognition or noterity for doing so well...

Any locals from the area want to chime in?

I personally don't get the oversight either. It seems the overall geographic progression of thought heading north to south jumps from DC to Raleigh-Durham. I liken it to the geographic ignorance of cities like Omaha, Des Moines and Fargo that have and continue to outperform the sputtering "economic engines" of the rest of the country.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:32 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Richmond has a significant corporate base for a city its size, a great downtown, truly urban neighborhoods, historic sites, natural features, etc. I agree that it's an underrated city. From my perspective, it seems to be corporate growth driving the employment gains in the metro area.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:26 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Richmond has a significant corporate base for a city its size, a great downtown, truly urban neighborhoods, historic sites, natural features, etc. I agree that it's an underrated city. From my perspective, it seems to be corporate growth driving the employment gains in the metro area.
Thanks for the info. According to the quickfacts census data it would appear that many counties in the outlying parts of Richmond have medain household incomes of between 70-80K, which is not too shabby at all.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:13 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
I wonder if Richmond's proximity to the DC area has something to do with it. Richmond has always had a low unemployment rate. Really the entire state of Virginia does well. VA is very business friendly. Which has its advantages and disadvantages.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:45 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,914 times
It's also the state capital which guarantees jobs for many people. Also several fortune 500 and 1000 companies are headquartered here or have regional offices here. There is also one of only 12 federal reserve banks here too. It's in a good geographic location on the east coast, right in the middle so you can drive or catch a train up to DC or NYC in a morning if you get started early enough and don't hit too much traffic, or you can drive or get a train to Raleigh, Charlotte, or Atlanta in a morning as well. On top of that there are a couple well known universities in the area with VCU and University of Richmond. VCU has a very large student population at around 30,000 and brings a very diverse group of people to certain neighborhoods. It get's overlooked primarily because it lies in the shadows of DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.