Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2007, 03:05 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times

Advertisements

I posted this on the KY thread but wonder what y'all think, too. What does Southern hospitality mean to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 03:29 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,655 times
In my opinion, southern hospitality is the consistent consideration of the feelings of a complete stranger. Whether you're driving considerately, smiling at a stranger, or just being nice to everyone for no reason.

Many southerners don't practice southern hospitality, and there are plenty of folks from all over the U.S. that live every day with what I'd call southern hospitality. However, I think there is probably more peer pressure, especially at a young age, for southerners to act a certain way.

Some people look at this negatively, and call it being "fake" or "two-faced." I can understand that point of view, although I'd take hospitality over brutal honesty any day.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:36 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Id agree 100% with anonymous. Well said.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:56 PM

142 posts, read 1,030,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I posted this on the KY thread but wonder what y'all think, too. What does Southern hospitality mean to you?
Southern Hospitality: The Southern tradition of waiting until an individual leaves the room before you start talking ill about them.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:41 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
In my opinion, southern hospitality is the consistent consideration of the feelings of a complete stranger. Whether you're driving considerately, smiling at a stranger, or just being nice to everyone for no reason.

Many southerners don't practice southern hospitality, and there are plenty of folks from all over the U.S. that live every day with what I'd call southern hospitality. However, I think there is probably more peer pressure, especially at a young age, for southerners to act a certain way.

Some people look at this negatively, and call it being "fake" or "two-faced." I can understand that point of view, although I'd take hospitality over brutal honesty any day.
I'd also say Southern hospitality is plentiful portions of great food for lunch and dinner.... Like, more than the average meal....wish it was just American Hospitality rather than Southern Hospitality...damn the Civil War for keeping it from being not only where I am but everywhere else outside of the South

Old 07-09-2007, 04:42 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
To me it means the same as hospitatlity anywhere which is cordial and generous reception or disposition toward guests. I really don't see it any differently in the South. Some people are hospitable, others are not.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:54 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post

However, I think there is probably more peer pressure, especially at a young age, for southerners to act a certain way.

I love that definition.

Up here we tend to have peer pressure to be the exact opposite of that.

In a way it is being two-faced. But to me it's a "good" two-faced, instead of our common way to treat stangers;
like demonstrating body-language that implies they're not even there or they don't matter, until proven otherwise.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:59 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,871 times
Letting others get pull into traffic.

Waving at every car that passes by in rural areas.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 PM

6 posts, read 17,536 times
Default keepin it real.....

id rather strangers ignore me or dont acknowledge me than it be fake and have me thinking their like me personally when they dont

hurt my feelings ?? my feelings have been hurt MORE times by "well-meaning" false hospitality in 8 months in NC than a LIFETIME in fla.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.