Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:50 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I guess so, though with some differences.

French is not the majority language in Moncton (neither is it in Lafayette), but it is much more "in your face" in Moncton and has more status at all levels of society.

Although this is mostly a good thing for French in Moncton and contributes greatly to its chances of survival, it also generates quite a bit of resentment on the part of the non-Acadian population in the area.

My sense is that you don't have this so much in Lafayette. The French/Cajun thing is cute and folksy, and is not really seen as a threat to anyone that doesn't identify with it. It is cute window-dressing that adds to the local colour and brings in tourism dollars.
I think what it is in say Lafayette and the surrounding area is that there is a "time and place" mentality. Meaning that the culture is still there, but the language is used strictly in the home and amongst the community due to English being the official language in terms of education, business, etc. For instance, just under 12% of the people in the city of Lafayette speak French at home. There are some towns like Breaux Bridge where close to 30% of the people speak French at home. So, I don't think that the authentic culture is dead, but has been repressed, in a sense, by those of Acadian descent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 08:53 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I admitedly do not know much about the South. I've been through there via airplane and I've lived in Central Ohio, which isn't South but had "Southern isms" and I was not a huge fan of the cultural differences. However, that's not to say the South doesn't have anything to offer or that I can't appreciate it -- I just find it MORE different than Canada in a lot of ways. I know when I travel south I'm always amazed that I am still in America because it seems so foreign to me. Ultimately though, the South is just as American as any part of this country, regardless how it seems.
This is so true. Canada never seems as foreign.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:09 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think what it is in say Lafayette and the surrounding area is that there is a "time and place" mentality. Meaning that the culture is still there, but the language is used strictly in the home and amongst the community due to English being the official language in terms of education, business, etc. For instance, just under 12% of the people in the city of Lafayette speak French at home. There are some towns like Breaux Bridge where close to 30% of the people speak French at home. So, I don't think that the authentic culture is dead, but has been repressed, in a sense, by those of Acadian descent.
I get this sense too. In Moncton, French has a much bigger place in larger society, not quite co-equal with English (yet), but some people are pushing in that direction.

Also, in Moncton, almost all Acadians still know how to speak French, whereas in Lafayette many people (maybe most?) who call themselves Cajuns and are often fiercely proud of that identity, can't speak any French at all.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:23 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
If you have never been through the South, then you really have no way to judge. I have travelled extensively through the US and Canada. Vancouver and Calgary are nothing like Michigan, New York, etc. Toronto is nothing like Philadelphia or Boston.
Toronto is more similar to Philly or Boston compared to say... Atlanta, I'll tell you that much. Been there done that.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:01 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
I guess so, though with some differences.

French is not the majority language in Moncton (neither is it in Lafayette), but it is much more "in your face" in Moncton and has more status at all levels of society.

Although this is mostly a good thing for French in Moncton and contributes greatly to its chances of survival, it also generates quite a bit of resentment on the part of the non-Acadian population in the area.

My sense is that you don't have this so much in Lafayette. The French/Cajun thing is cute and folksy, and is not really seen as a threat to anyone that doesn't identify with it. It is cute window-dressing that adds to the local colour and brings in tourism dollars.
I kind of notice this in the USA as a whole. Cajuns are seen as a fun-loving, vibrant people, different, but still, Americans. Cajuns have been "adopted" into the mainstream in recent times. I can tell this through products that are available. My mother is a Louisiana native. When I was growing up, it was common for my mother to cook Zatarain's, which is basically a line of Louisiana style foods. In particular, she cooked jambalaya. My family(and myself) live in the metro Atlanta area, so fresh seafood is difficult to get(as Atlanta is too far inland). Other stuff like boudin and andouille can be found, but you have to look hard for it. But for the most part today, Cajun food is seen as something exotic, yet, still part of mainstream, so in that way, Cajuns are seen as "cute" and "folksy".

On the other hand, that doesn't mean Cajuns haven't had to battle with stereotypes. Early on(I think around WII and the 1950's), Cajuns were not viewed in a nice way. Such stereotypes that existed included being "barefoot", "illiterate" and "fire-eaters"(refers to the spicy food). Cajun children were forbidden to speak French in school.

Still, the main difference I see is this: In Canada, Acadian and Quebecois culture makes up a larger part of the culture where the people live. Quebec City is majority French-speaking, in terms of official language. No part of Louisiana is. Moncton has a large French-speaking population, with a very large influence. Moncton also has the largest French-speaking university outside of Quebec, l'Universite de Moncton. There is also an English-speaking and a French-speaking school system in Moncton. Dieppe, which is nearby, is 80% French-speaking. The USA and Canada may have been colonized by the UK and France, but in Canada, the French have had a much larger influence. I would describe it as two distinct societies(French speaking and English speaking) inside the same nation.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:20 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I kind of notice this in the USA as a whole. Cajuns are seen as a fun-loving, vibrant people, different, but still, Americans. Cajuns have been "adopted" into the mainstream in recent times. I can tell this through products that are available. My mother is a Louisiana native. When I was growing up, it was common for my mother to cook Zatarain's, which is basically a line of Louisiana style foods. In particular, she cooked jambalaya. My family(and myself) live in the metro Atlanta area, so fresh seafood is difficult to get(as Atlanta is too far inland). Other stuff like boudin and andouille can be found, but you have to look hard for it. But for the most part today, Cajun food is seen as something exotic, yet, still part of mainstream, so in that way, Cajuns are seen as "cute" and "folksy".
Interesting you should refer to Cajun stuff as being "mainstream". I find that very few aspects of francophone culture in Canada (Quebec or Acadian or whatever) are mainstream for other Canadians. About the only Quebec cuisine, for example, that is widely known across English-speaking Canada is poutine (french fries with melted cheese curds and gravy). Other than that, most of the most common dishes in traditional Quebec cuisine are for example totally unknown to the majority of Anglo-Canadians even in Ottawa, Ontario, which is directly on the border with Quebec.

Whereas your typical American in Idaho or Alaska has probably at least heard of jambalaya, gumbo, crawfish, etc. and zydeco music...

Old 12-10-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Interesting you should refer to Cajun stuff as being "mainstream". I find that very few aspects of francophone culture in Canada (Quebec or Acadian or whatever) are mainstream for other Canadians. About the only Quebec cuisine, for example, that is widely known across English-speaking Canada is poutine (french fries with melted cheese curds and gravy). Other than that, most of the most common dishes in traditional Quebec cuisine are for example totally unknown to the majority of Anglo-Canadians even in Ottawa, Ontario, which is directly on the border with Quebec.

Whereas your typical American in Idaho or Alaska has probably at least heard of jambalaya, gumbo, crawfish, etc. and zydeco music...
Even more interesting, dishes such as fricot and rappie pie(Acadian dishes), bear no resemblance to Cajun cuisine. Actually, I don't think anyone in the USA has heard of those dishes as well.

And yes, people from all over the USA will hear about zydeco, gumbo, crawfish, and jambalaya. What many people don't know is how jambalaya came to be. All many people know is that it's a rice dish.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
So is Chicago more like Edmonton or Atlanta, culturally?

America seems more homogenous than ever before.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
So is Chicago more like Edmonton or Atlanta, culturally?

America seems more homogenous than ever before.

I would say Edmonton is culturally closer to Chicago than Atlanta. There are alot of things in Chicago that you wouldn't normally find in Atlanta.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I would say Edmonton is culturally closer to Chicago than Atlanta. There are alot of things in Chicago that you wouldn't normally find in Atlanta.
Can you list them? All i hear on these forums is how northern Atlanta is becoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.