Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 04:19 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,634 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread.

I guess I could be considered "re-transplant." Moved away from Minnesota when I was 25, lived in Colorado for 5 years and moved back to Minnesota 2 years ago. It wasn't an easy decision and I was quite torn because--as Mike from Back East will tell you--Colorado (Colorado Springs, specifically) IS a great place to live in many respects. There are days I really miss it. But for us, the reasons to leave outweighed the reasons to stay and I'm happy we chose the way we did.

I think a lot of the places that people flock to (Colorado, Florida, etc.) sometimes disappoint simply because EVERYONE wants their little slice of paradise, and once that happens, it just isn't the same place it was before it was "discovered." Too much growth too fast brings the inevitable problems cited above: bad traffic/inadequate infrastructre, expensive cost of living, sprawling housing and shopping developments lacking any character, etc. etc.

Not to mention the whole "californication" phenomenon...transplants who (intentionally or unintentionally...and not always from Cali, though you Cali folks usually get the bad rap, unfortunately!) influence the social/cultural dynamics of their new home to such a degree that it just turns into another version of the place they originally came from. A quaint little mountain town becomes a yuppified, overpriced, Starbucks and Gap infested piece of sprawl...that sort of thing.

As our population grows, I fear this cycle will continue until we simply run out of "paradise". Today's Colorado Springs is yesterday's San Fransisco. In 20 more years, "regular" people will most likely be priced and crowded out of today's hotspots in search of ever greener pastures.

Where will they go? Who knows. I guess if this whole global warming thing is real, maybe I can offload my home here in the "Minnesota Riviera" for a tidy sum just in time for retirement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 06:11 PM

250 posts, read 932,909 times
I have not moved at all, but may soon become someone like you. I have lived in MI all of my life and want to move to the south. I just find it intersting that so many people like MI!? I mean from what you guys describe, it's a totally different MI than where I come from. I grew up in Macomb County (sterling Heights) and hated it. I now live slightly north of the area and still hate it. DOn't get me wrong, the lakes are beautiful... if you have that kind of money. But the economy stinks, you can't find a job anywhere... not even McDonalds! Plus housing has increased so much it's insane, you'll be lucky to find a small house in the area for under $225,000. Everything is being built up with these trendy wanna-be brownstone homes that you'll be lucky to get 800sq ft for $170,000. Everything in Macomb County is so expensive and everyone seems so snotty. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but to me it has gotten ridiculous! The schools are overcrowded and because everything is getting built up so fast, the roads are always under construction. Plus, where is the culture???? There is nothing historical about this area at all... unless you count the subdivisions from the 1970's!!!! I'm so ready to get away to the country!

Old 08-23-2006, 07:20 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InGA View Post
What got me thinking about this, is that I'm shocked to see so many transplants (mainly northerners/new englanders who went south or west), who can't wait to move back home or somewhere simliar to the place they thought they wanted to get away from so much originally!

All the statistics, etc. you're always hearing about everybody fleeing the 'jobless, overtaxed, overregulated' economies of the N/NE, but rarely hear about people getting fed up w/these so-called 'booming', 'fast growth' cities/areas.

I have to admit we are one of the statistics. Left MI for the booming, cheap living, tons of job growth South. And after 5yrs we can't wait to get back to MI, or at least somewhere very similar.
While my journey was somewhat different (I grew up in Detroit area) I certainly get your point. I left MI to go to college and ended up following a job from Tennessee (college) to North Carolina. While I didn't go back to the Midwest, I had to get back to a major city North of the Mason Dixon.. I figured, why not go to the most Major city we have. Packed our stuff and moved to NYC after 17 years in the South. Never regretted it once.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:12 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
InGA,
I retired to NC after reading all the statistics and propaganda on how wonderful retirement in the south would be. I sold my home in PA and moved the the foothills of NC. I found the people to be very unfriendly. I was surprised because most of these people were church people and then I learned that their churches had instructed them not to associated with non-church people. Later I found that even the different Christian denominations were not associating with each other. My beliefs are my own and I have never pushed those beliefs on anyone. Here I have had two neighbors stop by and invite me to their churches, one even gave me a Bible. I have been here a year and a half and I have never been invited into one home nor has anyone accepted an invitation into my home. There are transplants here but those the I have met moved here because of their churches. Those that I have met tell me to have any kind of a social life I will have to join a church. Talk about religious freedom! LOL. Other than that, I have been the victim of road rage, had my boat broken into and robbed, an attempted house break in, and I have other incidents to numerous to list. They call me a yankee and **** yankee and then hold their hands out for donations for their school band and similar local charities. The weather last summer was great but I was told that was not usual. This year the high dew point is very high everyday, even when the temperature is moderate it feels horrible. I have a screened porch which is useless because of the heat and humidity. My A/C is always running. My house is for sale and I wish the market was better, but if it continues I will bite the bullet and close this house up and move north.
I just returned from a trip to the MD eastern shore. Weather was great and so was the crabs, fishing, and nice people. What a pleasure to drive down a street and have people waving hello. Going out for coffee was an absolute pleasure with the people being so friendly. I met more nice people in the few days I was in MD than I have in over a year in NC.
I miss a place called Massey’s Landing DE which is a public fishing pier off Long Neck DE. People come there from all over the country for vacation with many year round residents. All are friendly and talkative. I miss PA and southern NJ for the same reason. Moving to NC was the worst mistake I ever made and correcting it will be very expensive.
Don

Old 08-25-2006, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGA View Post
.The areas of Georgia that seem like they would be great to live in, I always hear they are 'church based communities' and/or 'you'll always be an outsider'.

.!

Dude,

I grew up in Wayne MI. One of the Factory towns in the Western Suburbs of Detroit. I did 17 years in the South. I was a local church pastor in the kind of towns your are referring to and still felt like an outsider. As you can see, I live in Brooklyn now which gives me some of the grit and edge. However, I do miss being around Michiganders and blue collar work ethic. But as the author said, "you can't go home again", so for now, I happy in NYC and deliriously happy that I am finished in the South.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:27 AM

156 posts, read 792,263 times
Question Just curious

as to why you are "delieriously happy" to be finished with the south?

Old 08-25-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastMove View Post
as to why you are "delieriously happy" to be finished with the south?
Kind of a long story, but generally speaking...
Don't like hot weather and humidity.
Do like four seasons and snow.
Do like big cities with all of the grit and grime.
Got tired of hearing Yankee jokes.
Burned out in the Ministry.
Got tired of adjusting my personality, so as not to offend Southerners.
I just never fit in and it never felt like home.

I have friends who grew up in the same area of Michigan that I did, and they absolutely love NC and hate Michigan. Different strokes.

Thats the short answer, you can look at some of my earlier rants for more.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:22 PM

156 posts, read 792,263 times
mhogan10010

I understand completely. I grew up in the Midwest and did 10 years in the south (GA, AR, FL & GA again) and then we had an opportunity to move back home. We loved it but my husband got a great job opportunity - in AL. We've been here 2 years and we are counting the days until we can return to the Midwest. We miss the 4 seasons (including the snow), the hard work ethic, good schools, and family. We've been given the green light by the company to return in the summer of 2008 and I hope that will be our last move...hence the name.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:01 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,420 times
Lightbulb Omg!!!

InGA!!! You managed to put into words the strange "affinity" I feel for Detroit!!! In fact you & mhogan & jen - I would appreciate if you would read my post "rentals" in the Detroit forum! You guys (especially InGA) are who I need to hear from! Or feel free to PM me! I just can't believe how you described the Detroit area. Exactly how I "feel"! And I've never been there! Please read my post so I don't have to repeat it all here. But mhogan - strange that you're from Detroit & ended up in & love NYC & I am from NYC & may very well end up in & love Detroit! And InGA -
GO TIGERS!!! And especially GO PISTONS!!!

Old 08-25-2006, 10:03 PM

435 posts, read 1,575,760 times
I moved from Long Island to Gilbert (Phoenix) AZ 5 yrs ago. I would kill to go back but can't afford it, it wouldn't make sense. I have a much better job here and it pays 25% more than I would make back on LI. Also my daughter started high school this year and doesn't want to relocate. I haven't been able to pursue my hobbies out here so I had to invent new ones. I don't adapt well to change and tend to look back with rose-colored glasses. I experienced a lot of personal growth as a result of the move. I guess that's more important than finding good pizza (which I have).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.