Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:55 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
People act like there are no professionals or good paying jobs in Orlando. If you have a comfortable income like I do and most ppl I know, whats so bad about living in Orlando? We have endless options of things to do. And Orlando doesn't really have a unique culture (though some parts in the historic core Orlando are unique) because 75% of the population is made up from people who are from all corners of the country and globe. All living together in a new 21st century city in harmony. I think that's pretty cool. You can basically find every culture in Orlando if you explore outside of the tourist attractions. But the tourist attractions alone make Orlamdo different from any other city. Its designed very different than other American cities. Orlando has two centers. Kinda like a double life, or alter ego. I dont know of any other cities like that.
The only area that is thriving in Orlando is the tech corridor by UCF. The east side of downtown has higher percentages of college educated and tech jobs.

But, yeah you are right. Orlando is brings in people from all over due to its urban sprawl over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 05:59 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Things I like about Orlando

1. It is rather cheaper than other cities.

2. Low crime rate although crime has risen over the years, it still isn't bad as other areas.

3. Diversity from race, income, and nationality

4. Nice resorts for tourists to enjoy

Things I don't like about Orlando(some of what I mentioned earlier in the thread)

1. No sense of belonging meaning there is no identity and culture

2. No diversity in the economy. The city relies on the service industry that is not doing quit good right now.

3. Lack of walkability. Orlando is a region of urban sprawl. It's virtually impossible to get around efficienty without a car.

4. Poor job market. It is rough for those who lack any education or training.

5. Limited entertainment. Museums are limited. The nightlife is limited. It has came a lng way, but it doesn't amount to other cities'.

6. It's Orlando
Not trying to be annoying, but Orlando's crime peaked around 2005-2008 (many people think because of the large number of Katrina refugees who relocated here). But crime has been on the decline ever since. Most of the crime now is domestic.

And I think the night life is pretty good for a metro its size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzTXU...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWzDwEyGc0A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZV4X...eature=related

Plus with the new Amway center finished and new preforming arts center breaking ground soon, I think that will do wonders for downtown. The new Arena already has. But I agree, museum wise we are limited, but we make up for it in other areas.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:05 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
The only area that is thriving in Orlando is the tech corridor by UCF. The east side of downtown has higher percentages of college educated and tech jobs.

But, yeah you are right. Orlando is brings in people from all over due to its urban sprawl over the years.
That's the area of town I live in and grew up in. Me and most of my friends were from middle to high income families who parents work in or around research park, lockeed martin, etc and some were college professors, doctors, lawyers, engineers, small business owners, and there are a large amount of commercial airline pilots who reside in Orlando. I barely knew anyone whos parents worked in tourism but of course there were some, and some make good money. But that's across town from me. Not to mention the medical city that is developing in south east Orlando that has already brought some good jobs here and will bring a lot more in 2012 when the new facilities open.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:23 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Not trying to be annoying, but Orlando's crime peaked around 2005-2008 (many people think because of the large number of Katrina refugees who relocated here). But crime has been on the decline ever since. Most of the crime now is domestic.

And I think the night life is pretty good for a metro its size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzTXU...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWzDwEyGc0A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZV4X...eature=related

Plus with the new Amway center finished and new preforming arts center breaking ground soon, I think that will do wonders for downtown. The new Arena already has. But I agree, museum wise we are limited, but we make up for it in other areas.
Those are small developments. They are not significant improvements in their respective area.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:31 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
Things I like about Orlando

1. It is rather cheaper than other cities.

2. Low crime rate although crime has risen over the years, it still isn't bad as other areas.

3. UCF is great university

4. Nice resorts for tourists to enjoy

Things I don't like about Orlando(some of what I mentioned earlier in the thread)

1. No sense of belonging meaning there is no identity and culture

2. No diversity in the economy. The city relies on the service industry that is not doing quit good right now.

3. Lack of walkability. Orlando is a region of urban sprawl. It's virtually impossible to get around without a car.

4. Poor job market. It is rough for those who lack any education or training.

5. Limited entertainment. Museums are limited. The nightlife is limited. It has came a long way, but it doesn't amount to other cities'.

6. It's Orlando

This is what I really dislike most. I just wish the entertainment and museums had more of an impact on this city. Hell the performing art's centre is not even going to get built.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:49 AM

765 posts, read 2,129,128 times
Actually I like Orlando better than any of Florida's coastal cities. The people seem a little more real there. A little less plastic. Plus Orlando has some pretty nice amenities that come from having Disney world right there, such as Downtown Disney with Cirque Du Sole, and the House of Blues. Also no major worries about Hurricanes, and the swamps are quite interesting.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:09 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
touristy, Florida-y and Disney. I just wonder what Orlando was like BEFORE Disney came along.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:41 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
I live in Orlando, and from my experience living here, I feel this city has no culture or identity, so I want to know what the rest of this country think of Orlando. Apart from Disney World, what do you find in Orlando's reputation that distinguishes it from other cities in the country?
I associate Orlando with the rest of Florida, perhaps even an exaggeration of it: soulless suburban sprawl, replete with dull chain restaurants (I believe Orlando is the home of Darden Restaurants), fascist homeowner's associations overlooking monotonous developments, and broad avenues all but impossible to navigate on foot and extremely dangerous on bike. Almost everybody is from somewhere else, and if they're not, their family has only been there for one or two generations. Florida - I don't know about the Orlando area but I'm guessing it's no different - has a proliferation of plain stupid people (a perfect example is ridiculous 911 calls, which Florida specializes in) and criminals.

I'm guessing it'd be like Duluth, Minnesota, my current home: a great place to visit for the theme parks, but an subpar place to live year-round.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
My perception of Orlando?

It is NOT a place to hang out if you're single and in your 20's.
Out of all the asinine, disingenuous, and completely untrue statements I've read in this thread, this one made me laugh so hard that I actually felt compelled to reply. The rest of the ridiculous statements being made about Orlando are not even worth a reply and only on a internet forum such as this would anyone actually believe such delusions. Is Orlando the "Cat's Meow??" No, but it's nowhere near the level some of you are suggesting and can easily be as appealing as cities/metros much larger than itself.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:23 AM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times
Before I actually visited Orlando two years ago this month, I had almost no pre-conceived ideas about what the city would be like. All I knew was that Florida = warmth (being from the cold Midwest), and I was looking forward to laying by a pool and basking in the sunshine.
Unfortunately, when I arrived, Central Florida was experiencing an unusual cold snap. It got down to near the freezing mark! I was I'll-prepared for this-- had no long-sleeved shirts with me. Had to buy a jacket. Tropical flowers were also ill-prepared and were wilting. During my stay, it was actually warmer back home in St Louis! Strange.
So I guess the pre-conceived notion about Florida always being warm turned out to be dead wrong.
Anyway, I still went to Universal Studios and other attractions, and still had fun.
Orlando itself turned out to be a much smaller city than I anticipated, but it is extremely sprawled. I discovered a Vietnamese neighborhood in the city, much to my surprise. That sort of reminded me of part of my city back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.