Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:29 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I dont mind people having their opinions, but I dont take anything seriously unless there has been at least an attempt at a diagnostic method. I can say all day that one city is liberal and one is conservative, but without some sort of relative study, its meaningless.
This is all just opinion, with much of it based on nothing but false perceptions and stereotypes. I would be that there are few people here qualified to rank these cities on anything, much less something as vague as this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 12:15 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Default Re Detroit ranked as "liberal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Exactly. The reason here is this:

Dallas, Houston and Atlanta are conservative because they're located in the south.
NYC, LA, SF and Boston arel liberal because they're located in the North and West.

That's the logic here.

I'm trying to figure out on what universe is Detroit liberal.

A couple of years ago I read something about a study ranking Detroit among the "most liberal" cities. I don't remember for sure, but Detroit might have been number one. However, that study appeared to be based on a simple matter of party affiliation. Detroit ranked high among "most liberal" cities simply because a high percentage of its people are Democrats. On that basis, I guess Detroit would rank well to the left, but of course this is a flawed basis for this kind of ranking, since the major parties have people of varying political stripes. In many cases, party affiliation seems to be more a matter of family traditon than political leanings.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:11 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Socially Conservative

1. Atlanta
2. Dallas
3. Houston
4. Phoenix
5. Detroit
6. Philadelphia
7. DC
8. Los Angeles
9. Chicago
10. Miami
11. Minneapolis
12. NYC
13. Boston
14. Seattle
15. San Francisco

Socially/Culturally Liberal/Marxist

Old 04-24-2011, 06:13 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I must admit I'm not sure I thought or think of any of those as socially conservative. Maybe Phoenix would come closest, particularly if we're meaning the entire metro as I believe they do have some pretty socially conservative suburbs.

Cincinnati might be the closest thing to socially conservative metro among the top 25 metros I've seen. It's voted in Pro-Life Democrats and I tend to think if the Democrats of a place go with Pro-Life/Anti-Choice people it's probably at least moderately socially conservative. Although I imagine a Cincinnatian will tell me I'm way off.

Among metros in general I think I've read that Provo-Orem, Oklahoma City, Fargo, Knoxville, Colorado Springs, Sioux City, and Amarillo are socially conservative at least to some extent. To get larger Jacksonville, Florida tends to come out pretty Republican in general so probably socially conservative.
You mean Pro-Death/Anti-Choice for baby.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:55 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I find Phoenix to be more socially accepting than many of these other places.
Unless you are an hispanic immigrant or a sitting president whom the legislature thinks was born in Kenya.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:12 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
A couple of years ago I read something about a study ranking Detroit among the "most liberal" cities. I don't remember for sure, but Detroit might have been number one. However, that study appeared to be based on a simple matter of party affiliation. Detroit ranked high among "most liberal" cities simply because a high percentage of its people are Democrats. On that basis, I guess Detroit would rank well to the left, but of course this is a flawed basis for this kind of ranking, since the major parties have people of varying political stripes. In many cases, party affiliation seems to be more a matter of family traditon than political leanings.

Metro Detroit votes democrat for two reasons. The core city is black and democratic in nature, and the rest of metro Detroit supports labor unions. These facts make the Detroit area democratic, but it does not make them liberal. Metro Detroit is HIGHLY segregated by race, the car is king, and liberal causes like gay marriage get very little support. In fact Michigan has a very tough anti gay marriage amendment passed by 70% of Mi population. No progressive would ever call metro Detroit liberal. Michigan is very populist and distrustful of corporations and goverment. The state is still supportive of unions as well. This applies in metro Detroit as well as the state of Michigan as a whole. Michigan is a tough state to call politically. Its the ultimate swing state, in 08 the state gave its support to Obama but then in 10 the people gave control of the state goverment to the repbulicans by a huge majority.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Unless you are an hispanic immigrant or a sitting president whom the legislature thinks was born in Kenya.
We have plenty of immigrants living in AZ by choice. Are you specifically speaking of the illegal immigrants?

Old 04-24-2011, 10:00 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
You mean Pro-Death/Anti-Choice for baby.
The thing is I consider myself Pro-Life/Anti-Choice. I find claiming a slur can perplex people and in a way I think the term "Anti-Choice" has some merits. Pretty much all law is based in limiting some choices. I'm Anti-Choice on contract killing as well. I'm Anti-Choice on some other things involving one's body too. For example I'm against legalizing heroin, euthanasia, and prostitution. I don't believe in the idea that a person can do whatever they want with the things in or on their body and more importantly I think almost no one really believes that. If they did people would support the right to have voluntary castration or elective amputation even if the person has no medical or psychological need for those. That even a second-trimester "fetus" has less protection than a toe or a testicle is ridiculous to me.

Anyway I may have done this, but I guess one way to check the social conservatism of urban areas is to see how their county voted on state Amendments referring to abortion and same-sex marriage.

For example Duval County (Home of Jacksonville) gave 67% support for parental notification on abortion and 69% for Florida Amendment 2 against same-sex marriage.

CNN.com Election 2004

County Results - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Kern County, California (Bakersfield) gave 75% support to Proposition 8 against SSM and 65% on a failed measure for parental notification on abortion. Kern also opposed funding embryonic stem-cell research.

CNN.com Election 2004

Of cities on the OP's list...

Miami-Dade gave 63% support for a parental notification law on abortion in 2004 and 58% support for not recognizing same-sex marriage in 2008. Possibly suburbs had some to do with this, I'm not sure.

CNN.com Election 2004

However Harris County (Houston) gave a whopping 72% in favor of Prop 2 denying Same sex marriage legal status. Then six years later they have a lesbian mayor. Granted much of that 72% might be suburbanites, but I think to get to 72% you would need some support in the city itself. I don't know how they voted on abortion issues as I don't find any initiatives in Texas relevant to that.

http://elections.sos.state.tx.us/elchist.exe

Old 04-24-2011, 10:03 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Metro Detroit votes democrat for two reasons. The core city is black and democratic in nature, and the rest of metro Detroit supports labor unions. These facts make the Detroit area democratic, but it does not make them liberal. Metro Detroit is HIGHLY segregated by race, the car is king, and liberal causes like gay marriage get very little support. In fact Michigan has a very tough anti gay marriage amendment passed by 70% of Mi population.
That's a good point. That amendment also appears to have won in Wayne County itself by 55% Yes to it to 45% No. I considered putting it among the "socially conservative on the OP list" in my last post.

CNN.com Election 2004
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.