Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
I'm madly in love with Athens, GA. I'm also fond of Asheville, NC, but it has some strange problems --- the layout of the city is very awkward, they have bad air pollution and lots of fog/haze, and they're more isolated. Athens has the advantages of a vibrant downtown, beautiful neighborhoods, and easy access to Atlanta.
Athens is a great place to live. Is it still spawning great rock bands and is it still a great place to listen to rock? I know it spawned legendary bands like R.E.M. and I know others but they escape my name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 03:18 PM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
178 posts, read 228,790 times
Virginia=Gun control, no Liberals, Democrats (besides Webb, but that's another issue), or Left-Wingers.

I would suggest Richmond, VIRGINIA, Northern Virginia (with great schools, high schools, middle schools, colleges, such as George Mason), Arlington, Virginia (which is great for young professionals wanting good paying jobs, the businesses come to VA because we have low taxes), the Eastern Shore of Virginia (I go there frequently and LOVE IT! it has small towns where every knows everybody, so friendly and layed-back), and the Northern Neck (the peninsula between the Potomac and the Rappahannock, with beautiful scenery), Virginia Beach (one of the most family-friendly places around, and Roanoke (with Virginia Tech nearby!).

Old 07-18-2007, 03:23 PM

Two other great states for the Southeast I completely forgot to mention are Kentucky and Tennessee. Louisville, Lexington, and Nashville are all great cities. Nashville and Knoxville in particular I think might be my second choices to live in behind Atlanta and generally any coastal city of Florida.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:23 PM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
178 posts, read 228,790 times
Virginia the best state, but I would have to go with Savannah or Atlanta for the best city, I agree with ajf131. A good ol southern city with nice suburban homes and a beautiful skyline... Atlanta is right for you. This might be the First time I did not go with a Virginia city (actualy, I have done it before,, because a gay person Asked which state was best for him, and I said D.C., I would do the same thing with homeless people... stay in DC), although Richmond is second on my list.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:56 PM

181 posts, read 537,439 times
What about Charleston? Is that city growing or moving backwards? I do like the more rural feel, that's why I thought i might like Alabama or South Carolina better.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:01 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,418,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Athens is a great place to live. Is it still spawning great rock bands and is it still a great place to listen to rock? I know it spawned legendary bands like R.E.M. and I know others but they escape my name.
B-52s!! (sorry...a bit off topic

Old 07-18-2007, 07:10 PM

181 posts, read 537,439 times
Are there any city's in the mountains that have a strong job market?

Old 07-18-2007, 07:14 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,224 times
My list of good places to live in the South (not including big cities)

Virginia-Richmond, VA Beach/Norfolk
North Carolina-Raleigh, Charlotte
South Carolina-Charleston, Columbia
Florida-Jacksonville
Sorry I don't know much about the western south but I would highly recommend looking into each of these areas. They are all up and coming and will provide a laid back lifestyle but with of amenities.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:19 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I have a step-uncle in Spartanburg, South Carolina, and overall yes it is a very pretty state. However it seems a little too laid back for me, a little bit too rural. Compared to North Carolina, South Carolina is completely different in appearance, and its cities from what I understand are not doing as well as other major cities in the South, though like the rest of the South they definitely are growing. In short...South Carolina to me is better for a tourist destination than it is for a permanent living area. Charleston, Columbia, and Hilton Head are good for a visit...lol...ok...actually...what am I thinking, scratch Hilton Head from being just a good place to visit...THAT is a place i would definitely LOVE to live
I have to disagree. SC is no more rural than NC. The only difference is that N.C's cities are larger (owing in part from emmigration from the North)-the rural areas of both states are extremely similar. I think both states have alot to offer. Columbia is an up and coming business center and Charleston is diversifying its economy.

It all depends on what you want. If you want a relaxed city with stuff to do I think Charleston, G-ville, Cola, Charlotte, Raleigh, and Greensboro are all good places. Its only if you want a "big-city feel" then go to Charlotte or Raleigh to a lesser extent.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I have to disagree. SC is no more rural than NC. The only difference is that N.C's cities are larger (owing in part from emmigration from the North)-the rural areas of both states are extremely similar. I think both states have alot to offer. Columbia is an up and coming business center and Charleston is diversifying its economy.

It all depends on what you want. If you want a relaxed city with stuff to do I think Charleston, G-ville, Cola, Charlotte, Raleigh, and Greensboro are all good places. Its only if you want a "big-city feel" then go to Charlotte or Raleigh to a lesser extent.
North Carolina is much more mountainous at least in its western areas than South Carolina. I've never been to Eastern North Carolina, farthest east I've been in North Carolina is basically the longitude of the I-77 corridor. Does it look like South Carolina? And yes, I should've phrased that better....South Carolina being more rural in nature, by that I meant its cities are much smaller, most of them came across to me as being mere towns when compared to the ones in North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.